Thread: Email reply from Randy Pobst on RS6 tweaks

Email reply from Randy Pobst on RS6 tweaks

Background: I wrote to Randy Pobst thanking him for driving my RS6 at VIR. I admitted that I could hear very little of what he said and asked him what he meant about "tighter" diff for the RS6. Here's the reply:

All those wasted pearls of wisdom! Thanks Andy, I sure enjoyed driving the RS6.

For track work, it needs a bigger rear bar and maybe springs if you dare (stiff ride), and a limited-slip rear differential that is more limited. Tighter means it will not allow as much wheelspin. You could try the bar first, and if there is no problem with rear wheelspin, you're okay. Maximize front caster as well. That really helped the racecar. And front brake cooling ducts.

RS6 is a superb street performance-luxury ride, but the Ginetta is the track car...

All the best

Randy

I had told Randy that I had a Ginetta and I was very surprised that he knew what it is. If your interested, here are some pics of my Ginetta (takes a little time to load all the images)

Ginetta G4 DARE - ~1200lbs, 180 bhp

Andy

thanks for the info.
    Does anyone know if camber or caster is adjustable on these cars? I would expect more camber on the front would be good for track use (but not sure how I would achieve it)?

Also on the brake ducts, has anyone figured out a way of routing these? As far as I can see the intercooler will get in the way of any cooling hose that is run from the front of the car (I was thinking of removing the spotlights).

Has anyone out there fitted an additional oil cooler or any other additional cooling?

regards
    Steve

Thanks for the follow up info. Randy is a real good guy he took my wife out for a few laps at Sears Point in my RS6.

Andy I just recieved my bars from Sport Technik and will be installing them soon. I am very interested to see if they help with the understeer.

As for the break cooling there really is no space for ducts without running them under the car which can lead to them being torn off. I sure something could be fabricated but agian would hang low. Or rip out the fog lights.

As for the rear diff I know STaSIS does a set up for the A4/S4's where they modify the center and rear to limited slip. Also helps with power bias (40/60 I believe).

http://www.stasisengineering.com/index.shtml

Dont know if they do someting for the RS6, I don't believe so...but I am sure for the right amount of $$$ they would do anything.

Cheers,

I think the RS6 should have come stock with a limited slip diff.
    Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

FMIC?

How about ditching the intercoolers for a Front Mounted InterCooler (FMIC) instead?
    The B5 S4 folks have been doing it for quite sometime, and it has shown good results on with power.

This would leave the spot where the current intercoolers are for channeling air to the brakes.

But...and this is a big arse but...is there even any space in the front of the car to add an FMIC?
    Even if you have a good shop do this, it will probably require some cutting into the current front setup, and that might mean 'mucho mula' (lost of $$).
    It might not even be a hot looking mod, but hey, I figured I'd post something!!!

you would have to find a FMIC for sale first off, since i think the person who originally starting producing these has stopped.

i would love to see the gains a FMIC would do for an RS6. a few b5 s4 drivers are planning on replaced their rs4 intercoolers with rs6 intercoolers to see how good they do compared to the FMIC. im pretty certain the FMIC will still be quite ahead of that IC, we shall see soon.

if i ever get my hands on a rs6, its the one of the first things i think ill do. wont see the difference either with the mesh grill in the front, so it will retain the sleeper look.

Originally posted by stevel
    Has anyone out there fitted an additional oil cooler or any other additional cooling?
    Nope, but the RS 6 Plus comes with additional cooling of some kind to go with it's extra 30hp, so once they've in the country no doubt somebody will make a comparison with a regular RS 6 and figure out what's changed, and it might be possible to find the VAG part codes and order the bits for an upgrade.

AmD sell the Sportec RS 6 kits in the UK, the 550 and 600 upgrades include additional gearbox cooling and it looks like engine cooling work as well, although the prices are pretty heavy for that kind of upgrade. See http://www.auto-amd.com/rs6.asp for more info.
    +=====================================+
    ChrisB aka TheBrit, as named by Clout & SantorinSteve over on AW.

Now
    +-------
    Daytona Grey C6 RS 6 Avant
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Lava Grey C6 allroad 3.0 TDI
    Daytona Grey D3 S8 (twice)
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Ebony Black C5 allroad 2.5 TDI Tip Limited Edition
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Silver C5 A6 Avant 2.7T Sport
    Volcano Black B5 A4 2.8 qm Sport

Originally posted by Bauer

I think the RS6 should have come stock with a limited slip diff.
    It does. What Randy is saying is that it should have a "more limited" differential.
    Ben

Hey Guys....

Clarification on Bauer post:

Speed Technik

www.speedtechnik.com

Check out my latest post for more info on what we are doing with the RS6....