Thread: Randy tries my car at VIR

Randy tries my car at VIR

Last week I spent a couple of days at Virginia International Raceway with my RS6. The highlight of the event without doubt was having Randy Pobst, SPEED GT World Challenge Drivers Champion drive my car. For my write up, please see:

http://www.njhealey.com/VIR/VIR.htm

Regards,

Andy

Re: Randy tries my car at VIR

Originally posted by andyp
    Last week I spent a couple of days at Virginia International Raceway with my RS6. The highlight of the event without doubt was having Randy Pobst, SPEED GT World Challenge Drivers Champion drive my car. For my write up, please see:

http://www.njhealey.com/VIR/VIR.htm

Regards,

Andy
    Realy Nice reading Andy...gets me all exated for my next track event
    "Learning by doing"

"It's racing, bullfighting and mountain climbing - the rest is just games"
    ..Hemingway..

Sounds like a great time........with the extra power sounds like breaks are at their limit. I get a little nervous about mine even being stock. Thanks for the write up.
    Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

Originally posted by Bauer
    Sounds like a great time........with the extra power sounds like breaks are at their limit. I get a little nervous about mine even being stock. Thanks for the write up.
    No kidding, especially with only marginally good tires currently available for the RS6!

I think a rear sway bar might be in my car's future. Great write up. It gets me all pumped for my next 2-day event at Lime Rock Park in early June.
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

Nice article -- makes me want to re-think my decision not to track my RS6.

Brakes are my main concern. You mentioned Motul 600 -- have you ever used it in your RS6? If so what was the result? Also wondering if your or others have tried stainless steel brake lines in an RS6. A total brake upgrade is out of the question due to expense, at least for me.

I'm also at an awkward tire stage: At 19,500 miles my Pirellis have enough tread for another 4K or so estimated street miles, with 4 to 5 32nds left, but that's probably not enough to keep me safe for the next track events (on May 29) because I'll have driven another 1200 miles or so by then. But I'm also reluctant to break in a new set of tires, probably Michelin Pilot Sports, at a track event. Wish I'd been able to track with my Pirellis a few thousand miles ago, but it just didn't work out. Suggestions are welcome re how I might do a track school in these dire, er I mean tire, circumstances.

Originally posted by JAXRS6

I'm also at an awkward tire stage: At 19,500 miles my Pirellis have enough tread for another 4K or so estimated street miles, with 4 to 5 32nds left, but that's probably not enough to keep me safe for the next track events (on May 29) because I'll have driven another 1200 miles or so by then. But I'm also reluctant to break in a new set of tires, probably Michelin Pilot Sports, at a track event. Wish I'd been able to track with my Pirellis a few thousand miles ago, but it just didn't work out. Suggestions are welcome re how I might do a track school in these dire, er I mean tire, circumstances.
    Well....I'll give you my $ 0.02 worth. You're probably better off tracking your Pirellis with 4 to 5/32's tread then you would with a newly broken in set of tires. It is not uncommon for racers to have street tires shaved down to 4/32's prior to use on the track. The tread blocks are much less likely to chunk off at these depths. They won't be as good on a wet track or road but they'll be good for a dry track. This is assuming that the cords are still all intact after the 20k miles you have already put on them.

JP4

Also wondering if your or others have tried stainless steel brake lines in an RS6. A total brake upgrade is out of the question due to expense, at least for me.

"I agree a total uppgrade is to expensive!

I have stainless steel lines(cost 185 eur) and dot 5. Cant say its a very big diffrens whit steel lines. Well a small diffrent feel in the pedal it is. My guess is its makes more of a diffrens changing some old bad rubber lines on an old car to new steel lines then i think its more of an aaha feling. Anyway it feels god to have a litel extra on a hevy car like this.
    "Learning by doing"

"It's racing, bullfighting and mountain climbing - the rest is just games"
    ..Hemingway..

Thanks very much for taking the time to read my write up and for the kind words.

Brakes: I feel confident that the brakes are up to the task with RS14 Pagid pads and Motul 600 fluid. The Audi event I attended had two half hour sessions in the morning and two in the afternoon with typically an hour cool down in between. What I will do in future though is clean out the drilled holes on the rotors at the end of each day ... my rotor holes filled up with brake dust impacting the cooling. The stainless steel brakes lines are better than the rubber when things get hot ... the rubber will tend to get soft and give when the brakes are applied resulting in longer pedal travel and a softer pedal feel ... but things have to get pretty hot for this to be a factor.

Tires: I had 13,000+ miles on my Pirellis and they still performed admirably ... they haven't much left now though so I'm thinking of replacing them with Bridgestone S03s. Charlie, my instructor, had brand new Pirelli Corsas on his Porsche TT and they were a little slippery for the first morning but after that they gripped well.
    If you go to the track with new tires, you must pay careful attention to getting them up to temp before you push them to prevent chunking, as mentioned above.

Andy

Great job Andy....m...

Needless to say, we were very happy that your RS6 performed like she did, not that we were worried one bit. You will have the sway bars on for your next event and to the rest of you that are waiting, the black bars are on their way to us from Hotchkiss as we speak.

Tires: I had 13,000+ miles on my Pirellis and they still performed admirably ... they haven't much left now though so I'm thinking of replacing them with Bridgestone S03s. Charlie, my instructor, had brand new Pirelli Corsas on his Porsche TT and they were a little slippery for the first morning but after that they gripped well.
    What tires pressures were you running hot with the Pirelli Pzeros? I found anytime I got the tires over 45PSI hot they felt greasy and seriously compromised my stopping ability.
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

Great write up Andy! You obviously had a lot of fun!

I took my RS6 on the track, with standard brake pads and brake fluid and was less than impressed by the brake fade which came rather early (3 to 4 fast laps on 3 mile track).

Where do you get the RS14 Pagid Pads?. Are these only available the US ?

As for the sway bar, I think it's a great idea. Let us know when you get it.
    [img]http://www.audioimports.com/slogos3c.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://www.audioimports.com/cars/Audi.htm]Andre's Audi Pages[/url]
    [url=http://www.audiclubsa.org.za]Audi Club of South Africa[/url]

Originally posted by JJV-MA
    What tires pressures were you running hot with the Pirelli Pzeros? I found anytime I got the tires over 45PSI hot they felt greasy and seriously compromised my stopping ability.
    I set the tires at 31 p.s.i. at cold for the first day but wasn't that happy with them in the morning ... it poured down in the afternoon and they were fine. The next morning I set the tires at 33 p.s.i. cold and was happier with them throughout the day. The tires really didn't show much wear or show signs of melting as I saw on some other cars.

Originally posted by avdh
    Great write up Andy! You obviously had a lot of fun!

I took my RS6 on the track, with standard brake pads and brake fluid and was less than impressed by the brake fade which came rather early (3 to 4 fast laps on 3 mile track).

Where do you get the RS14 Pagid Pads?. Are these only available the US ?

As for the sway bar, I think it's a great idea. Let us know when you get it.
    Thanks ... it really is hard to discribe how much fun it is taking the big RS6 on the track ... kind of all the things you want to do on the street but legal and safer.

I don't know about availability of the RS14's outside of the States but I got mine from John at:

Northstar Motorsports
    28144 W. Industrial Ave.
    Suite 108
    Barrington, Il 60010

Tel. (847) 304 5515

John told me yesterday that he is starting to stock this part instead of keep ordering it from Pagid. I would think that he would have no problem shipping to S.A.

One point to note: the RS14's do not come with the electrical connection for pad wear therefore the brake wear warning light is on all the time. You can take the connection off an old set of pads and twist the wires together and the light will stay out. According to the doc, these pads are not legal for the street. The bedding in of the pads involves three stops from 90 mph to 65 mph with at least 500m cool down in between and then a final 110mph-65mph with a 500m cool down. That can easily be accomplished on your first lap on the track.

Andy
    Last edited by andyp; May 5th, 2004 at 14:59.

I have a silly question about these Pagid RS14's: what color are they?

I ordered a set and they came in colored blue. The inner flap of the box clearly states RS 014 but I don't see a RS14 Blue on the Pagid website. I just want to make sure I have the right pads.
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

Originally posted by JJV-MA
    I have a silly question about these Pagid RS14's: what color are they?

I ordered a set and they came in colored blue. The inner flap of the box clearly states RS 014 but I don't see a RS14 Blue on the Pagid website. I just want to make sure I have the right pads.
    They're black. From their website:

RS 14 BLACK

This is a medium high friction value ceramic type compound with very good modulation, high fade resistance, low heat conductivity, and a good wear rate up to a temperature of 650°C (1.200°F).

It is kind on discs, with visible grooving, but a limitation of hairline cracks.

Applications: NASCAR, CART, F3, Touring cars, GT cars, WSC, Trans Am and Rally.

Thanks Andy. I think I might have these:

Sport pad – dark blue
    This is a high performance compound with low fading characteristics and high cold-friction. The most comfortable medium friction sport compound.

The Sport Pad is rotor friendly and suitable for street and light track use. Available for most Audi, BMW, Porsche and VW applications.

PAGID "S" Brake Pads are dipped in a anti-corrosion blue paint, with a layer also on the friction surface. This paint coating will disintegrate during the first braking applications without any loss of friction compared to our other non-coated compounds. In addition a majority of the "S" Line is standard with anti-noise shims.

I don't know what to do, if I should try them out or return them. I'm using the RS15 Grey right now and love them.
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

They're black. From their website:

RS 14 BLACK

This is a medium high friction value ceramic type compound with very good modulation, high fade resistance, low heat conductivity, and a good wear rate up to a temperature of 650°C (1.200°F).

It is kind on discs, with visible grooving, but a limitation of hairline cracks.

Applications: NASCAR, CART, F3, Touring cars, GT cars, WSC, Trans Am and Rally.
    Andy,

Pagid also makes the RS15 pad in a fitment for the RS6. You might want to consider that one too for a track pad.

From the Pagid site:

RS 15 GREY

Very high torque compound. It combines a 20% higher friction value than the RS14 with a slightly increased pad wear.

Needs finesse to avoid over braking the car. Good release characteristic and a quick bedding in procedure.

Although the "RS15" has very good modulation it might have an excessive bite for some applications.

JP4