Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audi RS6 Avant chasing a Porsche 996 C4 on Nürburgring

Quattro, I think we agree. There is no doubting the RS6 is quick, relatively easy to drive etc, but its weight will tell at the Ring. Interestingly a Spec C will lap the ring in absolute standard form in sub 8 minutes... however like most road cars the brakes won't last very long! I doubt Audi will do it for the next RS6 but one of the best things they could upgrade (apart from the brakes) would be the gearchange. A manual gearbox would in my view make it much more of a drivers car and offer greater control when pressing on.

The brilliant thing about any RS car isn't its sheer performance, which by any objective standard is mind-blowing, but that it excels when driven by ordinary drivers in extraordinary conditions.

Yes. I am sure with two equal drivers on the Ring in dry conditions. the Porsche would probably slightly faster than the Audi RS6. But in adverse weather conditions, the driver in the Porsche would struggle whereas the Audi driver would just keep on going.

BTW. I hear the new RS4 has lapped the Ring in UNDER eight minutes. Anyone know if this is true?

Why would the Porsche struggle under adverse conditions?

R+C

Originally posted by tailpipe
    But in adverse weather conditions, the driver in the Porsche would struggle whereas the Audi driver would just keep on going.

BTW. I hear the new RS4 has lapped the Ring in UNDER eight minutes. Anyone know if this is true?

The Porsche is 4WD and has the same if not better driving dynamics and gizmos.

The RS4 needs to be a real driver's car like an M3 CSL, GT3. And provided it does not understeer, I shall buy it.

Originally posted by PP
    And provided it does not understeer, I shall buy it.
    SOP for Audi is to take the understeer out of the driver! Do you want to be booked in for the operation with Sepp this winter?

R+C

Originally posted by Nordschleife
    SOP for Audi is to take the understeer out of the driver! Do you want to be booked in for the operation with Sepp this winter?

R+C
    You know what - I shall practice like hell to try to remove my understeer by practicing on the king of understeerers - the Smart Coupe. Then I can consider other operations. Who is Sepp?

Originally posted by marks6
    one of the best things they could upgrade (apart from the brakes) would be the gearchange. A manual gearbox would in my view make it much more of a drivers car and offer greater control when pressing on.
    True, but I think we all realize this is next to impossible. Now that the new M5 no longer offers a manual, the rest of the manufactures will use this as an excuse (instead of an opportunity) to only have "autos" (manumatics) in their Hi Po cars. The upcoming RS 4 will be the last RS model IMHO to have the manual option (if it indeed even does).
    Ben

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PP
    You know what - I shall practice like hell to try to remove my understeer by practicing on the king of understeerers - the Smart Coupe. Then I can consider other operations. Who is Sepp? [/QUOTE

Sepp Haider, former European rally champion, development driver and instructor to the great and the good (including Schoomie).

Very very competent.
    R+C

Originally posted by Nordschleife
    Do you want to be booked in for the operation with Sepp this winter?

R+C
    I shall send you a PM. thanks

Originally posted by quattro

Driving fast, close to the limit and your pads will be gone in 20-30 laps.
    Same for the M5 and any other similar car.

Acctually stock pads wont last moore than say six laps whit r-tiers. They will burn if you do 8:30 laps or better. Sure if you go 10min laps they would last a life time
    Sure its depending some on how your driving style is and many peopel sitting in car, and coling time in pit or not.

Put black pagids and its fine. Accualy whit stock pads and street tiers I dont think you can make 20-30 laps if going 8:00-8:30min laps
    If I remember corret when living at Sabines house last summer we talked about this and her Ring taxi E39 made it 20-30 laps but whit harder Pagid on.

About understeer the most common I guess is abuse understeear and its for sure not the cars fault Wouldent you agree on that quattro.
    "Learning by doing"

"It's racing, bullfighting and mountain climbing - the rest is just games"
    ..Hemingway..

Great photos and thread. But the C4S is in its own way by Porsche standards a 'fat' car... what i want to know is how the mean looking rubystone red 964RS parked next to you in the photo fared....now that's a car in which to have REAL fun on the Nurburgring!
    Nice one though, guys!
    GM

Originally posted by gord
    Great photos and thread. But the C4S is in its own way by Porsche standards a 'fat' car... what i want to know is how the mean looking rubystone red 964RS parked next to you in the photo fared....now that's a car in which to have REAL fun on the Nurburgring!
    Nice one though, guys!
    GM
    This is also a friend of mine. A big ring fan, he is allways down laping the green hell whit his RS. He have plenty of laps done A tru gentelmen and I sitt in whit him often. And he is fast around, but not keeping up whit me and my stock RS6 Avant
    "Learning by doing"

..Hemingway..

The "Detailed" tab is interesting

Originally posted by quattro
    Some data:

http://www.track-challenge.com/main_...1=53%26Car2=35
    The "Detailed" tab at this link shows air temp to be much warmer (September) for the RS6, as compared to the colder (February) test date for the Porsche. What are 12 and 38 degrees celcius, anyway, when converted to F?

And if the test dates had been reversed for these cars, I wonder how much better the RS6 might have done....

What are 12 and 38 degrees celcius, anyway, when converted to F?
    12 C is about 54 F
    38 C is about 100 F

Re: The "Detailed" tab is interesting

Originally posted by JAXRS6
    The "Detailed" tab at this link shows air temp to be much warmer (September) for the RS6, as compared to the colder (February) test date for the Porsche. What are 12 and 38 degrees celcius, anyway, when converted to F?

And if the test dates had been reversed for these cars, I wonder how much better the RS6 might have done....
    Cant aswer that one.

As the sedan RS6 is 3 sec faster than the Pc4. I wounder how the Avant would turn out if tested? As sedan RS6 is 1908kg the Avant is, as my registrations paper say 2050kg.
    One thing is sure the extra pork wont make it faster
    "Learning by doing"

..Hemingway..

Re: But does it feel good?

Originally posted by marks6
    Heresy I realise, but I can't help thinking that the P will feel better than the Audi around the RING. The RS6 is a great car, but it is very heavy and is more an autobahn cruiser (very high speed) than a nurburgring slayer!! I watched the video of the stock RS6 (excepting the tyres) slaying porsches, superbikes etc and can only comment that the drivers of those had more to do with the outcome than the cars/bikes themselves. In equal hands the RS6 would not be able to compete with a GT3, GT2 or virtually any high powered bike around the RING... I am prepared to be proved wrong but don't think it possible. In fact, a £27000 Impreza Spec C would leave an RS6 behind around the RING and so it should with an equal power to weight ratio and significantly less mass.
    Of course you are right marks6, when I driving by this cars and bikes it do not mean anything more than I rather not wait behind them a lap to get round(the cam was just in rec a long time). Its of course mostley driving abilety that matters and not the car you drive.
    And im confident I would drive by and pass my self in a lap here if I did drive a GT3 or CSL and my RS6 at the same time if you know what I mean.

As far as RS cars beeing easy to drive, I think its not like Porsches of today and CSL are any diffrent. On the opposit they can feel more secure and easy to drive and manover fast around a track. They are made to go fast around a track and RS6 is not.

And that says it all, its more scary to drive a car fast around a track when its not build to do so.
    Just my 2cents
    "Learning by doing"

..Hemingway..

Originally posted by gjg
    12 C is about 54 F
    38 C is about 100 F
    These temp differences make such a HUGE difference, at least on my car. It weakens considerably once temps reach the 90s F, while in the mid-50s it is close to maximum performance. I experience both conditions frequently each year so there is no doubt in my mind about this. The only question is how to quantify it.

My own guess would be that if I am putting out 450 hp at 54 degrees F, the output at 100 F would be in the mid-300s -- around 100 hp less. That's about how it feels, at least. The difference is definitely dramatic.:eye:No doubt about it!

Temperatures are barely passing 30 degrees farenheit where I live. My beast is performing without hesitation. Hope summer takes a little longer to come by this year