Thread: Busy Mod Weekend

Busy Mod Weekend

Hi Team,

Weather in Boston was not the best this weekend, so I locked myself up in the garage, and went to work on mods.

Mods planned: clear corner (get rid of the amber reflector on front housings), change amber bulbs on turn signals in front housings and front fenders to clear glass/yellow light, change 4300K Xenon bulb to 5400K bulb, install and test iTrip (FM transmitter) on iPod, wash the car.

Well, I had success with all except the clear corner mod. Friggin' reflector seems to be now glued to glass, and not just being held solely by 2 clips. After all that work...bummer!

Write ups or detailed comments coming soon folks. Dang the 5400K bulbs are AWESOME!!!

PS: you can remove the front housings without removing the bumper. Hard work and careful maneuvering involved, but possible. Correct tools help as well.

How about some more info on those 5400k bulbs!!

That sounds very bright

The on-coming traffic must love that!

I am from the Boston Area and know the Mass drivers well, they will KILL YOU LOL..

M-ASS-achusets, the home of the state which wanted to OUTLAW Xenon lights! My friend had to special order his 330is with non-xenon bulbs due to his concern over that law, which was not passed? I am surprised that Hillary's Adopted State has not passed a similar law! LOLOLOL

I was going to take the snows off, but have to go somewhere tomorrow, and with my luck it would snow LOL..

no worries

The 5400K denomination corresponds to the light color on the spectrum. Once could argue that it will probably provide higher lumens, which is the light intensity, but not quite sure.
    They aren't that much brighter per se.

When you first turn on the Xenon bulbs on the RS6, it has a blueish color. Once it warms up, about 3 seconds, the bulb gives a white color output.
    Well...I sort of like the blueish color a bit more, as the BMW setup is blueish, and some Mercedes as well.

That is why I ordered the 5400K bulbs. Now when they turn on, they have a deep blue almost purple color, but when they warm up, about 3 seconds later, they keep the blue color that I like.

I have pix of the Mercedes lights and the ones on my RS6 now, and you can tell the difference.
    In fact, even on the road, it seems a whole lot clearer for night vision.

As for blinding the oncoming traffic, you should not blame the technology. If the beam is not properly aimed, it will blind on coming traffic whether it's Xenon or Halogen. Just look at high beams as an example. Proper aiming of the beam is required in order to prevent it from blinding the oncoming traffic.

In my case, I put the Mercedes and the RS6 about 8 feet from the wall, and the beam pattern was at the same height.
    I got in front of the RS6 about 20 and 30 feet distances, and it was not blinding me at all.

I'm not worried about the setup. Properly aiming the lights takes 5 seconds, if necessary.

The 5400K bulbs can be bought from Supreme Power Parts for a little over $200. They have a 5 year warranty. Ask for Dan.
    I can't find the URL for their website right now, but will post it later with my review of the setup.

Thanks, I'll look into it!

As far as aiming lights is concerned, the height from the road to begin with has an effect! SUVs and Trucks with Xenon bulbs are blinding!

Mike

are we talking about removing the rs6 headlight housing? or just the light bulbs?

housings removed

I fully removed the housings to actually do the clear corner mod. While at it, I changed the bulbs as well!!!

Headlights taken out:

5400K bulbs installed (notice the blueish color):

5400K and 4300K head-to-head (different housings, but color difference on wall visible noticeable):

I could not do the clear corner mod, which is remove the reflector, but I figured at least I could get rid of the amber bulb. I went with a clear glass halogen cousin instead. I modified the little amber bulbs on the front fenders as well to be halogen.
    Some pix:

Last edited by nene; March 29th, 2004 at 17:22.

nice. can u tell us how you removed the headlight housing without removing the bumper? thx =)

coming soon

Doing the write up this week, after I finish the V1 display one.

It's actually quite difficult, and lots of maneuvering of the housing involved. If you are not careful, you can easily break something, lose the screws, or scratch the bumper.

But I'll surely put something together as far as a write up.

hope to see them in person at the meet

can't u just take the lens apart and yank the amber reflective piece out?

Originally posted by audirs6sport
    can't u just take the lens apart and yank the amber reflective piece out?
    Believe it or not the WRX guys have the same obsession. They put the lights in an oven at low temperature. Then they can be taken apart, the reflector removed and then sealed back together again.

Anyone care to go first??? :MTM:

Speed

No problem give me insurance money first.

i've heard that heatgun works better.