Thread: S4 vs. M3

S4 vs. M3

anybody drove both what did u think which do u like better?

RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

thanks erik but i want to hear what owenrs say

I have owned both. M3 is more radical, sportive...S4 is luxury, smooth. I currently own an S4 but i prefer my former M3; more mpg AND MORE JUVENILE!!
    Hope this helps.
    Sergio
    SERGIO MERAYO - FORMER BMW M3 FANATIC

Different

No doubt about that the cars are different...they may have similar performance but one is a coupe with a small backseat, the other is a 4 door saloon..or even a station wagon..with awd.

Personally I don't have anything agains the M3, I'm convinced that it is a superb car....but for everyday driving I need awd, 4 doors..station wagon..
    So for me the M3 isn't an option..and if I sould buy that type of car it would definitly not be an M3. It would have been some kind of Porsche...hopefully a 996 Turbo..

This is my opinion....and one more thing, I have never owned a BMW M3..diven, but not owned..
    Regards /Pär

thank you semaryo and McBurn4ever

but is there a big handling difference at high speeds and at low speeds. (i would assume that the s4 feels more stable.)

the s4 more stable?? i think it s the m3 unless you live in an area where is raining and snowing all day long. If you don t really need the 4wd, i d go for the m3, or better yet, if you got the money, buy both...the s4 for your daily driver and the m3 for the weekends.
    Let me say that the s4 is more comfortable than the m3, but (again) less sportive.
    Both cars rock!!! believe me!!!

I love the E46-M3. It's the best car I've ever owned and I miss it a lot! However my everyday life is easier now with S4 Avant. Much more space. Five door estate is more practical than a two door coupé. And I like the "sleeper"-looks of the car. I don't have to worry about vandalism or other acts of jealousy. It just looks like an everyday A4.

I drive 30000 km every year in my car so I want it comfortable for those long journeys and the S4 is absolutely best in its class. The fron seats are great! For high speed travelling (at >200km/h) it is more stable than the M3 and I feel more relaxed.

I'm very happy with my S4 and I'm looking forward to see the RS4 in a near future.

Perspectives on M3 and S4

I own an M3 and have driven an S4 several times with a serious view to replacing the M3.

It is actually quite hard to compare the two the models as they have many complimentary features. Asking which is better is a bit like asking whether Van Gogh is better than Renoir! First of all then, let me say that they are both without doubt two of the very best cars you can buy for the same money.

You have to admire the sheer integrity of the M3. Its balance and poise impart a sense of control that truly unites man and machine. The engine is exceptional too and emits a wonderful wail as higher revs are asked of it. When you sit in the cockpit, the driving environment immediately feels right. It's almost as if the driving position is made to measure. One of the rewarding things about the M3 is that you constantly find new details to appreciate, like the fact that on long drives you can blow hot air to your feet and cold on your face to keep you alert. Whether you choose a manual or SMG version, you'll be delighted. The build quality is unimpeachible and the components all look and feel as if they have been machined out of aersospace-grade metals. In short, every journey is a pleasure be it a short blast to pick up some groceries from around the corner or a trans-European dash from the UK to Italy, which I have done four or five times. If I seem to be replaying the many reviews of this car that you may have read, it is because the praise heaped upon it is entirely justified.

So why on earth would I consider switching to an S4?

Last December we got caught out by bad weather. One moment, it was merely a cold winter's day and then within the sapce of 20 kilometres, great amounts of snow started to fall. Within another 10 kilometres, the M3 was undriveable. In order to maintain control, I had to reduce speed to well below 30kph. As the snow worsened, we got stuck going up a slight hill. And that was as far as we went until snow chains were fitted.

The Audi S4 is dynamically compromised versus the M3. Weight concentrated ahead of front wheels etc. etc. but it has 4WD. A friend caught out in exactly the same conditions as described above but in an RS6 carried straight on.

So in essence, with the S4 being broadly similar to RS6, you sacrifice dynamic purity but gain greater all year practicality, especially with the Avant version. The performance is on a par with the M3, although the V8 delivers its torque almost effortlessly like a Bentley. Driving the S4, I was extremely impressed by the way in which you can chuck it around at high speed and it retains its composure. Driven by a professional on a dry track, I would be sure that the M3 is the faster car. But on an ordinary damp road driven by enthusiastic amateurs like me, then I am certain the S4 is quicker. What I really like is that the S4 lets you accelerate in any gear. The feeling of available power is great.

With a debadged S4, I have no doubt that you could irritate the owners of many more expensive but less able supercars. Which leads me to my FAVOURITE S4 quality: it is a car of immense subtlety. It doesn't shout power or performance, it just delivers them both by the bucketload.

The interior cabin quality seems marginally better in the S4, but there really isn't much between them. I prefer the 6-speed auto box of the S4 to the SMG II of the M3. It is easier to use and you have paddle shift actuators too. (Not quite as smooth as DSG, but surely one of the best auto-boxes around, IMHO.)

For the moment, I have decided to stick with the M3, because one real disadvantage of the S4 is its fuel consumption. A friend who owns one tells me that he gets an average of 20 mpg and often less when he pushes hard. He's also got through two sets of front tyres in less than 20,000 miles. He's experienced a variety of quality niggles too, which made him feel that the car wasn't properly developed when launched. I think various in-production modifications have been made, but somehow the car doesn't convey the same level of bullet-proof mechanical integrity that is evident in my BMW.

If, however, the next RS4 can offer enhanced perforamce, at least 25 mpg, a little less weight up-front and good same build quality, I'll definitely get one. (There's been a fair amount of discussion as to what this car will provide, but you need look no further than the defficiencies of the S4 to see what is required.)

But, returning to my original statement, they are both masterpieces and both Audi and BMW should be congratulated.

i couldn t have explained itvbetter than you did !!

Originally posted by smerayo
    i couldn t have explained itvbetter than you did !!
    Thank you for your kind comments. With such a great site, the least you can do is write a decent response to a good question.

Re: Perspectives on M3 and S4

Originally posted by ndrummond
    The Audi S4 is dynamically compromised versus the M3. Weight concentrated ahead of front wheels etc. etc. but it has 4WD. A friend caught out in exactly the same conditions as described above but in an RS6 carried straight on.

So in essence, with the S4 being broadly similar to RS6, you sacrifice dynamic purity but gain greater all year practicality, especially with the Avant version.
    And that is the point. Bmw makes a more intense "driver's car" and Audi makes an ALL YEAR car for ALL things. It is by no means a car that is not intense just not as focused as the M cars. But for me that's just fine. If I really wanted a "driver's car" I would get the Porsche. Or if I had the money I'd take Nordschleife's pick and get the Gallardo!
    Ben (NEVER trading the BEAST!)

Slightly off topic, but "Yes!", the Gallardo really is the performance car of choice for the Audi fan with no kids and who wants 4-wheel drive. Absolutely gorgeous. (I wonder how it compares to the Aston-Martin DB-9?)

Well ive just sold my M3 and bought an S4 and i can honestly say that i prefered my beemer.However its only a 98 S4 and it was an E36 M3.No doubt the updted versions of both cars are an improvment but i have to say the M3 is a better car.S4 steering seems a bit vague and when you throw it about the weight shift is a bit off putting.I need more practice of this 4 wheel drive carry on.Its v.v. different to RWD!!!!!!Less fun...just now!
    V6 Bi-turbo on full song...music to my ears!!!

Maybe it's not a fair comparison, but I had a '95 E36 M3 for 8 years and 90,000 miles. Now I have a new '04 B6 S4 with 2,400 miles. The S4 is 1000 times a better car. Way faster. It's like driving a very fast Rolex watch.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the E36 M3. And I have never driven an E46 M3.

But after 14 years driving new BMWs, I am an Audi convert.

:s4addict:
    Richard

2004 Audi S4 (B6)
    2003 Nissan 350Z Track

Yeah you might be right.My s4 is only a 98 and i hear that the new models feel a lot more precise in the handling department which is my only complaint with my 98 model.
    It is definately an aquired skill driving 4wd to its full potential,once i have mastered this(or get a bit braver),I'm sure the Audi will be more appreciated.
    V6 Bi-turbo on full song...music to my ears!!!