Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sebring Speed GT morning practice results: Pobst quickest, Galati 3rd!

Originally posted by Nordschleife
    Guys

I don't think it really matters too much - its a Hollywood series.

The good guy wins in the end and gets the gal.

Seriously, its a race series that looks to be cheap to run in, on paper. In reality, the teams have turned into stalking horses for the factory marketing departments, the costs have ballooned and many of the shoes are expensive pros - like Andy Pilgrim.

There is no reward for innovation - do something clever and go faster - you will be penalised.

R+C
    It is true that they give no rewards to the fastest team (only penalties) however it is "justified" by them to keep costs down. Even though this doesn't work.

It is about making it "look" good. You won't see the first place runner lapping the field like in F1. There if the team (in that case Ferrari) is doing well then it really shows. In world speed challenge the first place team (Cadillac) sand bags the lead to make it look like he not that much quicker even though Pilgram clearly showed otherwise!
    Ben

Let's just put it this way, the Caddys smoked the competion. Everyone needs to get their sh*t together to keep up. The CTS-V's will be reigned in somewhat by victory ballast. But man they are fast!

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead

The 75lbs "rewards" weight will do little to slow down the Cadillacs when they're 3-4 seconds quicker then the field.
    Ben

Originally posted by Bimmerhead
    Let's just put it this way, the Caddys smoked the competion. Everyone needs to get their sh*t together to keep up. The CTS-V's will be reigned in somewhat by victory ballast. But man they are fast!

Bimmerhead

I think you misunderstand - Cadillac screwed up.

All of the other cars can be made to go a whole lot faster, but that isn't what this series is about - its about looking like racing, all the others have got their shit together and were making it look like racing. Cadillac shows it up as a farce this time.

In future they are going to get their restrictors made smaller, their weight will go up and they will be back in mid-field; it might take one or two more races to find the right level.

Had Cadillac got their shit together, they would have qualified 2 and 4, run a quiet race about 3 and 4 and then maybe just edged ahead to finish 1 and 3. If they kept doing this sort of thing they would take the championship at the end of the season without having had the book thrown at them. Now every time they do well, they will be scrutinised extra hard. To make matters worse, as the pilots get more stick time, they will be going faster anyway.

R+C

So let me get this straight, you race to lose. You dump millions in a racing program to look foolish. I don't think so. You win as much as you can. Then overcome anything the competition and whatever the rule book can throw at you. That is racing. Nordo, you might want to rethink what you said, because according to your statement someone like Ferrari should never go out and try to spank the field. This just does not make any sense.

So let me get this straight, you race to lose. You dump millions in a racing program to look foolish. I don't think so. You win as much as you can. Then overcome anything the competition and whatever the rule book can throw at you. That is racing. Nordo, you might want to rethink what you said, because according to your statement someone like Ferrari should never go out and try to spank the field. This just does not make any sense.

Actually what Nordschleife says has a lot of truth to it. Remember, the World Speed Challenge works WAY differrent than the FIA F1 series.
    Ben

Go and read the the regulations for this series. You cannot compare this series to Formula One, that is real racing.

Its handicap racing, the rules are arranged to ensure that each car has roughly the same performance on track, then as various drivers show themselves to be better or worse than the others, so they have weight added or taken away.

If one model of car is clearly faster than the others, then the series organisers will alter the car's running configuration so that it no longer has an advantage.

If you look at the entrants in this series you will see, for example, that there are Corvettes entered, amongst others. Now Corvettes are fast enough to come 4th overall in the 12 Hour race. Haven't you wondered why they don't do better in this "World Challenge" Series?

To win this Championship, a team has to have a strategy for the whole season, not just the first race.

All of the cars competing could be made to go much much faster than are doing, however, strange as it may seem to you, that is not what it is all about. If you let your ego get out of hand and show just how fast you really can run, then you will have cause to regret it later in the season.

The race is not always to the swiftest.

R+C

The race is not always to the swiftest.

R+C
    In the World Speed Challenge that is SO true.

Guys, I understand what you are trying to say. The point is, no matter what the series is, you try to win as much as possible. There are too many varibles to let even one race get away from you, especially in the Speed GT Series. I know the rules of the series, they want to make it as even as possible for everyone. That's when the cream rises to the surface. That's racing in any form. Like many mechanics say, "It's our job to cheat & their job to catch us". Well let's see if Cadillac can do it. One thing is for sure it's going to put butts in the seats, that's what it's all about. With the interest up that keeps racing alive and well. Too bad Champ cars couldn't figure that out on many different levels.

I think the speed GT series should be re-worked for next year. Let each of the cars be developed to their max performance at all levels. I think this would lead to more race car developement and more exciting racing. Sure one car might take the series one year by a large margin but after a few races teams will gradully prepare their cars to be even with the leaders.
    The cadillacs are awsome cars and would flourish in an open series as would the other cars. But for now we can just sit back and watch the caddys win and sandbag for the championship.

Originally posted by audifan
    I think the speed GT series should be re-worked for next year. Let each of the cars be developed to their max performance at all levels.
    The problem with that is the RS 6s can develop over 600-700 HP.
    So then next year all the cars would be bringing MONSTER motors to compete. The costs would spiral out of control and so on.

They (World Speed Challenge) feel it's the way to keep things fair.

Ben

To win this Championship, a team has to have a strategy for the whole season, not just the first race.
    Seems like their strategy holds

http://www.speedvisionwc.com/2005/gt-standings.html

Hot Volvo btw

RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Originally posted by Erik
    Seems like their strategy holds

http://www.speedvisionwc.com/2005/gt-standings.html

So... after two seasons, Cadillac came away with ONE driver's championship.

After two seasons the RS 6 came away with a Driver's Championship AND a manufature's Championship! And spent LESS!

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan