Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Polish

Car Polish

Has anyone used or heard of Zaino Bros.? What are your opinions of it? Is it worth the money? Is it an easy process?
    -Stuart
    Here is one of the pictures after an application that I found on the website. It is a reflection!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3seriesreflect.jpg 
Views:	856 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	1377  
    (Returned) 2003 Mugello Blue RS6, Silver interior
    2005 Mallett CTS-V 007: long tube headers, race cam, exhaust, heads, intake, and suspension.
    2007 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: 4.5 inch lift, 35 inch tires on 20's
    Wife's 2007 Chevrolet Suburban: 427, Corsa Exhaust

RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Re: Car Polish

I've heard great things about Zaino though I haven't used it myself.

that's a hell of a shine

wow. what color is the RS6? MIRROR SILVER?

What a great shine..

There is a great tutorial on car care on www.carecareonline.com

http://www.carcareonline.com/howto.aspx

I use Zymol Titanium which is listed as an SUV wax, what ever that means, it has extra carnuba and is great for protecting against the crap of winter - sand, salt, and hell we have cow shit on the roads here....

Mike

I have only used Zaino for my RS6. I kept the car garaged initially for 1 month and put 5 coats of zfx and z6. It protects the finish like a bank vault in the Northeastern winters. I've driven my RS6 every day and when I wash it (quite the procedure with lambswool mitt, zaino wash, etc) it outshines and out lusters even the newest of cars. I highly recommend it. Expensive system though.

5 coats?

I thought that you can't really put on "Coats" of wax since each application simply lossens the first and does not add any actuall thickness of the wax?

Can you be more specific?

Mike

this car finish thing is an ongoing learning experience....my prior M3 shined like new after 5 years....zymol only LOL

zaino is not wax. It is a polymer and therefore CAN be applied on top of subsequent coats, unlike wax.

oh, a polymer....

I have read more bad things about polymers than good....

I used one ONCE on my 325is....the bugs get really stuck in the polymer which is harder than a wax and thus harder to remove the bugs...

Are the newer polymers that much better?

I am tempted to try one again (on my wifes car of course or perhaps on my John Deere)....

I am going to research this Zaino...

thanks,

Mike

one opinion on Polymers

This is from Carcareonline.....

Their site has a how to section..

"The polymer-based waxes tend to last longer, yet do not seem to give the same depth of shine, as do the Carnauba waxes. As a general rule, depth of shine and longevity are opposite ends of the same scale. Polymer waxes are also usually less sensitive to excess car wash. They do seem to be somewhat more hydroscopic (absorb water and become cloudy) than the organic waxes. If you are using a polymer based wax on a German paint and have hazing or clouding of the wax, about the only thing that will work is to strip the polymer wax and rewax with a Carnauba based wax. German paints hate polymer-based waxes. I have spoken to paint chemists, the Glazurit people, Porsche, BMW and M/B people and to date have not gotten a viable reason for this. I have gotten a lot of mumbling and shuffling of feet, but no hard and fast answers. The American and Japanese paints can tolerate polymer waxes. The German paints just don't seem to react well with most of these products. There are also highly advertised Teflon based products on the market. It is my understanding that it requires a 600 plus degree environment to bond Teflon to your paint. So, unless you are applying it with a flamethrower, you may not be getting all you paid for. (In the same vein, just be glad you are not getting all the government you are paying for). The polymer-based products will also tend to build up with several applications and this buildup may turn off color over time. The solution to this problem is to strip everything off and start again.

"

I think this is the stuff my brother uses on his Cobra....

Interesting...

Zaino Bros'

reading up on it now...

LOL

Zaino Bros' site has some good info...

They do a great job of pitching their own product....

Perhaps I'll give it a try..

Thanks for the info...

Re: Car Polish

Originally posted by sturs6
    Has anyone used or heard of Zaino Bros.? What are your opinions of it? Is it worth the money? Is it an easy process?
    -Stuart
    1) yes
    2) yes
    3) good stuff
    4) yes
    5) yes it's an easy process but initial applications will take a while. Once you're using "the system" it's very easy to maintain.

I have been using Zaino products on my Audi's (2000 A6 4.2 & 2003 RS6) for 4 years and I'm quite happy with the products. I'll continue to use them until I find a good reason to change. As mentioned above, their web site is very helpful. If you have questions that the FAQ's don't answer give them a call. They're very helpful on the phone too.

I use the following Zaino products with great success and satisfaction:

Z-1, Z-2, Z-5, Z-6, Z-7, Z-9, Z-10, Z-16, Z-18. (see the web site for details)

I especially recommend using a clay bar (Z-18) prior to polishing your car. For those who have never tried it, you'll be quite surprised with the results.

JP4

Clay Bar,

Did you do the entire surface or just areas where it appear to 'need' it?

I have been cautioned about the clay due to the risk of actually scratching the surface if there is any debree under the clay....

I have some surface scratches which I can just barely feel with a finger nail, would the clay help me ease these scratches?

Mike

I wish I had time to spend on the complete system...looks like I will have to do it from 8pm to 8 am some night once my family is asleep....don't want to become a garage lepper....

LOL

Originally posted by Aronis
    Clay Bar,

Did you do the entire surface or just areas where it appear to 'need' it?

I have been cautioned about the clay due to the risk of actually scratching the surface if there is any debree under the clay....

I have some surface scratches which I can just barely feel with a finger nail, would the clay help me ease these scratches?

Mike

I wish I had time to spend on the complete system...looks like I will have to do it from 8pm to 8 am some night once my family is asleep....don't want to become a garage lepper....

LOL
    Your concerns are justified. If you don't follow the instructions precisely you WILL scratch the surface. Look at the tips and tricks section and the application instructions at the Zaino site to avoid problems. I too was VERY concerned about scratching the surface the first time I used the clay bar so I only did the hood using the Z-7 mixed 1:12 w/water as a lubricant. Works like a charm. NO scratches. It will even work on the clear bra. So does the polish. Cleans the surface debris slick as a babies butte giving a nice surface to apply the polish too. I would clay the entire car once a year to remove surface grit then polish to your hearts content. The Z-5 is recommended for light surface scratches.

Hope this helps!

JP4
    Last edited by JP4; March 17th, 2004 at 14:26.

I also have used Zaino products for years and no problems.
    83 UrQ
    07 Q7 4.2
    03 RS6

I'll bring my sprint blue RS6 to the next Northeast meet. You guys can be the judge of whether zaino is for you.

How long does it take you to detail your vehicle using Zaino? I know I'd like the results, but I've got a short attention span...
    2007 997 GT3 Carrera White
    2009 Mercedes E63 Wagon, Black/Black
    2009 Ferrari F430 Scuderia, Rosso Corsa

Sold:
    2003 RS6 Ebony Pearl, Black Interior, NAV, Exhaust, XM Radio.
    2005 Maserati Quattroporte, Sport Package, Nero Carbonio, Cuolo Sella Seats.
    2006 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Originally posted by bilbozilla
    How long does it take you to detail your vehicle using Zaino? I know I'd like the results, but I've got a short attention span...
    Whether it's Zaino or most any other product, if you REALLY want to detail your car and you're doing it yourself, it's going to take the better part of 1 day start to finish.

The first thing I do is clean the engine compartment at a self service car wash using a pressure washer. From here I'm going to refer you to this link at Zaino for detailed instructions "from the horse's mouth"..... Link to Zaino application instructions

After you've done the complete process one time you can maintain the finish/look of your labors with minimal effort by using the gloss enhancer (Z-6) after the car wash which takes less than 15 minutes to do on our cars and or put another coat of polish on (Z-2) after the washing or both Z-2 & Z-6(another coat of polish also takes about 15 minutes to apply and another 15 minutes to remove.

Then I sometimes remove the wheels and completely clean them inside and out.

The up side to all this is that the Zaino products go on VERY easy and come off VERY easy with NO powdery residue to deal with. And the appearance and feel of the finish gets better and better with each step.

And there you have it!