Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IPOD in the Beast

Hate to beat a dead horse, but I unfortunately have the ipod fever....

It's coming today, after getting frustrating results trying to listen to Rush Limbaugh MP3's via my Palm Pilot (does not have enough output power to adequately connect via FM modulator) I bit the bullet and bought an iPod.

So, perhaps the XM radio will go?

Anyway, with the ICE link, I assume the connector going to the Sat Radio is the same connector I use with the ICE Link...

Any info?

Mike

You could try this

http://home.comcast.net/~rsalstrom/phat.html

I cannot vouch for this person or their product but here are some links to individuals that have used it

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/245123.phtml
    http://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/240178.phtml

Kind of wish I had this ICE thing back before I decided to get a phatbox...

Oh well,

The phatbox is nice, but not nearly as effortless as my iPod
    Silver 2003 RS6
    Miltek Exhaust
    18% Stealth Tint
    Smoke Tailights
    Nokia CK-7 Bluetooth
    Clear Bra, Skirt and Rear
    Passport SR-7 Hardwired

Originally posted by Aronis
    Hate to beat a dead horse, but I unfortunately have the ipod fever....
    And yet... I'll beat it a little more. Sorry I wasn't paying attention earlier when this topic was actually important.:blush:

Is this setup similar to the ICE?: http://www.mp3yourcar.com/default.asp

Shows installation (seems simple enough...): http://www.cartv.com/content/researc..._Tip/pagenum/1

Any thoughts?

Ben (sorry again for being so late to the party)
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Praises for ProClip

Outrageously expensive, but serious quality. The mount is very secure, takes about 30 seconds to install, and doesn't damage the mounting surface. Another key point about the right side center console mounting location is you can rest your palm on the gear shifter and work the iPod controls easily. I've ordered the Dension set up because my main priority is to get rid of all the tape and lighter cables and have the iPod start up and shut down with the ignition. The sound quality through the tape adapter is AMAZING - can't wait to see what a direct line sounds like. Can't say enough abou ProClip.

Mighty,

the sound quality with the ICE LINK is excellent.

The Only real issue with the I-pod Mounted as you are planning , ie in plain sight is the fact that your window will get smashed for the tasty treat!

So, I mounted mine OUT OF SIGHT...yes more of a pain in the ass, but I want to keep mine.

Mike:trash:

Agreed - it's right there for the taking. I plan on slipping it in my pocket if I'm in a dicey neighborhood. Of course, the South African flame throwers would toast anyone to a cinder who dared approach my beast, but that's small consolation if my window is broken.

Just kidding, couldn't get the flame throwers through customs.

You also must consider THE MOUNT is a signal that there MAY be a $300 IPOD in the car somewhere....it's advertizing.....

Mike

Damn, Mike - I think I'll just put the iPod in my safe deposit box!

Just had my ice link "professionally installed", it plays and sounds great but the Sirius activation phone number blinks on the head unit and on the center panel screen constantly. And then the next morning the battery in the iPod was completely drained. The iPod turns on and off with the ignition so I know it wasn't running all night.

I went to Best Buy first to have it installed and they told me I had the wrong model from Dension. So I went to Circuit City and they installed it with these strange side effects.

Are electronics getting so complex that professionals can't even identify what interfaces with what, much less install it correctly?

For the LOVE OF GOD, what makes you think the Guys Tinkering in Car's from Best Buy and Circuit City are EXPERTS IN ANYTHING?

I asked about the ICE link in my car at several Stereo Installers and the all said it could not be done.

What they mean is that they have never tried in an Audi and don't have an engineering CLUE.

You're unit was most likely not installed correctly or is the wrong one for you model car.

Mine works fine and the display is that of the CD changer.

The charger works fine and the IPOD powers down automatically when the car is turned off.

I don't care necessarily about the IPOD being stollen...I DON"T WANT THE HASTLE OF A BROKEN WINDOW OR DAMAGED LOCK!!!

Mike

Originally posted by Mightyhead
    Damn, Mike - I think I'll just put the iPod in my safe deposit box!

Just had my ice link "professionally installed", it plays and sounds great but the Sirius activation phone number blinks on the head unit and on the center panel screen constantly. And then the next morning the battery in the iPod was completely drained. The iPod turns on and off with the ignition so I know it wasn't running all night.

I went to Best Buy first to have it installed and they told me I had the wrong model from Dension. So I went to Circuit City and they installed it with these strange side effects.

Are electronics getting so complex that professionals can't even identify what interfaces with what, much less install it correctly?

Oh sure Mike,

You're all over Mighty Heads post, but leave mine unanswered for 5 months!:trash:

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

I think I've just got him all fired up - post something inflammatory to get his attention!

So, Mike, you have your ice link plugged into the harness for your rear mounted cd changer I'm guessing. I have the in-dash changer so I get the blinking Sirius 888 number in two locations. Any ideas on how to turn that off? Can you cut power to the satellite system somehow without affecting the iPod?

Originally posted by Benman
    Oh sure Mike,

You're all over Mighty Heads post, but leave mine unanswered for 5 months!:trash:

Ben
    Oh, sorry did not mean to ignore you!

LOL....

All over his case! Hey you have to keep things lively here....or its zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

LOL.

Mike

Originally posted by Mightyhead
    I think I've just got him all fired up - post something inflammatory to get his attention!

So, Mike, you have your ice link plugged into the harness for your rear mounted cd changer I'm guessing. I have the in-dash changer so I get the blinking Sirius 888 number in two locations. Any ideas on how to turn that off? Can you cut power to the satellite system somehow without affecting the iPod?
    Good question.

let me ask a few questions!

Do you still have the Sirius module plugged in?

Does it still work?

The front indash changer (glove box) interface is "Hijacked" by the IPOD ICE LINK connection and I think the way it gets wired (have to look for my circuit diagrams - in draw to my right....lazy) the changer connections get slightly modified and the Sat radio gets cut out! Unless you route the R and L signal through the sat module....that is where the Changer input goes if you have BOTH sat and trunk CD changer.....somehow in the head unit when you push the Changer button the Sat radio gets cut out and the pass through takes over!

So with your setup it sounds like they are trying to use the Sat radio's input directly and the head unit thinks the Sat radio is actually on!?!?

Do you hit CD changer button to get IPOD?

Mike

Sorry about the Expert rant, but that word is used about as often as the words AND and THE these days and it's all BS. I doubt there is a person working at any of those shops with an engineering degree (actually graduated) none the less any "expert" skills in Car Stereo installation. If the kit does not simply plug and play for-getabout it.

Yes, I believe that the head unit thinks the sat radio is on, therefore it's flashing the activation number at me. Surely not what Dension had designed. I have the keys to pull the radio but not the skill, so I don't know for sure how it's plugged together. they called Dension and verified it was correct, but you know how that goes, one person hears what they want to hear instead of what was said. I guess I'll have to find someone who has done this before in the area. The drained iPod battery was an aberration, it only did it that one time and it's staying charged since then. So as long as I don't mind the flashing Sirius advert I'm 100%.

Fella's,
    sounds like most of you want to keep oem xm/sirius and the ipod. I build lots of these cable/harnesses for folks so they can have both. It just requires running three wires to the SAT tuner (very easy) and splicing/modifying the icelink wiring a bit.

I do this a lot for the B6/B7 crowd.
    http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1880

Feel free to drop me an email if you'd like me to build this for you. It's probably $30 in parts (plus the icelink harness) etc.

-Ted
    teddybgame@hotmail.com

Originally posted by TeddyBGame
    It just requires running three wires to the SAT tuner (very easy) and splicing/modifying the icelink wiring a bit.

-Ted
    teddybgame@hotmail.com
    Yes, Left, Right and Signal Ground.

I was cheap (did not want to pay the extra bucks for the 'good' wire) and used simple single conductor copper - and the sound quality is excellent. I was concerned that that long run Front to Back with unshielded wire would be a problem but it was not.

The ICE LINK comes with the connector if you buy the In-The-Front Kit, but you then have to redo the wires to allow you to keep Sat Radio. The In-the-front kit completely bypasses the Sat radio inputs and hijacks the CD c inputs as well.

The "in the rear" kit has a different connector and has to be wired differently as it intends to be plugged into the Rear Changer cable in the trunk directly.

That is the kit I ended up getting and as a result I had to scronge around for little pins the correct size to connect everything.

The key is the proper wire diagrams and the proper orientation when you do it! It's just plug and play if you will. LOL.

Mike

Yup. Completely agree.

Just keep in mind that the SAT tuner is controlled via the canbus and the Icelink is controlled by the external CDC controls. This is one of the reasons that you can have both.

Good stuff!!