Thread: Transmission mounts

Transmission mounts

I am in the middle of doing suspension and was hoping to find out from someone if it is possible to replace the transmission mounts with engine in. The repair manual says to take the bracket off the transmission and then replace the mounts. Can it be down by just using a jack to lift up the transmission and maybe lower subframe

Should be no problem, just check the downpipes clearance. I have Miltek downpipes and can't remember if the OEM downpipes give any clearance issues getting the brackets off.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Do you have to take the entire bracket off the transmission to put the mounts on or can you just undo the mounts from the brackets and replace them.

Not sure if there is enough room to raise the transmission itself enough. Can partially raise the transmission and just lower the back of the cradle an inch or two. Just loosen the front cradle bolts about 1/2" and then loosen the rear bolts until they're almost removed or support the cradle and just remove them altogether.
    Roy, WA

I was able to get the apikol transmission mounts in by raising the transmission and lowering the subframe a bit.

Right off hand I think I have the Apikol mounts myself. I know I have the Stearns engine mounts. I have the softer street version transmission mounts. Between the Stearns and the Apikol mounts there was a slight increase in felt vibration at idle but nothing above idle. Anymore when I drive the car I don't even notice it, maybe they've softened up a bit...or I'm just accustomed to it.
    Roy, WA