Thread: Any experience with S0 2's

Question Any experience with S0 2's

I am getting a set shipped to me. Everyone who I have talked with likes them ...except they wear fast and the sidewalls are a bit stiff. I was going to wait and maybe get some new rims but I need tires now. 11k and the Dunlop's 9000's are toast...not really track tires . I figured the S0-2's are a good compromise until I figure out the rim situation.
    Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

re: Any experience with S0 2's

Bauer
    Can't speak about the O 2's, but I've been very happy with the SO 3's on my vette for track use. They really grip well and the sidewalls seem just right for this type of use. I've been using them for two years for exclusive track work and they are the best of the 3 or 4 I've tried.

FEVR

Thanks for the input....I know that they are discontinuing then S0 2's (at least that is what i have been told) so I thought I would give them a shot. I have heard the S0 3's are a little more comfortable of a ride but not quite as sticky as the S0 2's.
    Bauer

01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

BAuer, I do not believe you will notice a difference between S02 and S03 on street. 03 may "last" a litttttle longer. They seemed to me to handle better on wet road than 02's. I had 2 sets of 03's on my S6 and will buy them again.

gg

Hey there Ben-

I'm surprised to see that they're still selling S-O2s. I had 2 sets of S-02's without any major problems. Best dry/wet high performance tire that I've come across. I just had my 2nd set of S-03's put on in early January- and I "think" the treadlife is longer on the S-03's than the S-02, but not my much. I'm basically getting between 17k-22k per set.

Great for track use, though the stiffer sidewalls makes for a bit harsher of a ride in the day to day drive. BTW- when we met up, and swapped cars a couple of months back, the car was riding on S-03's.

Hope all is well-
    Ernesto

Ernesto-

Good to hear from you, I hope all is well...we will have to hook up again.

and thank you all for your input
    Bauer

01 S8

Well got the S0-2's on and they are a MUCH better tire for traction. They are however much noiser then the Dunlop 9000's...anyone else notice this?
    Bauer

01 S8

Can only say S03s have worked well on my S4 & handled track well on my previous A4 -- and I, too, am surprised the S02s are still availablle. I thought that when the S03s came out four or five years ago, they replaced the S02s.

I did have one S03 sidewall, in my second set, that developed a crack. I was given a prorated allowance towards a replacement tire.

I've been pretty happy with the P Zero Pirellis that came with my RS6, altho they've never been exposed to track use. But I'm at 16K miles, will be looking soon. Suggestions welcomed.

BTW Tirerack said a few weeks or months ago that there's no S03 for the RS6 Anyone know different?

Originally posted by Bauer
    Well got the S0-2's on and they are a MUCH better tire for traction. They are however much noiser then the Dunlop 9000's...anyone else notice this?
    On my previous car, I went from Dunlop 9000's to S03's and they were significantly noisier. What compounded the problem was that one certain passenger also noticed the increase in noise and then added quite a bit of her own noise about it. "Why do you need these sportier tires... They're so loud... etc. etc." Although they handled much better, I vowed never to get them again. Too much "cabin" noise.
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

Pirelli's

I've been quite pleased with the performance of the Pirelli's. They've held up well after 10K miles and 2 track events. If the S03's are noisy, I will definitely stay away from them. Have others found the Dunlop's noise level acceptable?

Thanks, Jim

Re: Pirelli's

Originally posted by jimmy94507
    I've been quite pleased with the performance of the Pirelli's. They've held up well after 10K miles and 2 track events. If the S03's are noisy, I will definitely stay away from them. Have others found the Dunlop's noise level acceptable?

Thanks, Jim
    Jim,

The noise level of the Dunlop SP9000's is quite acceptable. And furthermore although the S03's ARE louder, I didn't find them TOO loud at all. And the added performance of the S03's outweighed the extra noise for me. Much better turn in response and held up better on the track than the Dunlop SP9000's. Both are quite good on wet roads. S03's better in dry.

JP4

And how do pirellis compare to SO3?
    Last edited by gnomik007; March 4th, 2004 at 08:27.

I've found the Pilot sports are possibly the best alround tyre to get.

We've got the S02 on the front wheels of our 993 and SO3s on the rear.

Tyre noise isn't too much of a factor, unless the car is a Roller?

With wear being the only minor niggle with them, they take our grotty weather rather well. Haven't noticed the firm side walls; since the suspension is pretty firm as is it on the Porker.
    Last edited by Klint; March 4th, 2004 at 11:29.

I like to Pilot Sport as well but I dont think they are worth the extra $100+ per tire cost over other makes.

Also, I have heard good things about the Pirelli's but have no personal experience.
    Bauer

01 S8