Thread: RS6: How much clearance is there between the front brake caliper and OEM 18" wheels?

RS6: How much clearance is there between the front brake caliper and OEM 18" wheels?

I test fit a set of 18" OEM Audi wheels from my wife's 2011 C6 A6 Avant on my RS6 to potentially use as winter wheels. They require a 25mm spacer to correct for the 48mm offset and fit great in that respect, but there is only about 1mm of clearance between the front brake caliper and the barrel of the wheel. I was able to slide a piece of cereal box cardboard between the wheel and caliper, but it was a tight fit. There is slightly more room at the bottom of the caliper than at the top, but still only 2mm or so. I took it for a short test drive and there was no rubbing, but that seems WAY too close for comfort.

I know the OEM wheels on the RS6 were also 18" and I wondered how close they are to the calipers?

Here are some pics. It's hard to capture how close they are due to the tricky lighting conditions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guQp5Vvh.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	18945 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crvr4RXh.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	18946 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JXQHvaxh.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	18947

Should be fine.
    If it ever rubs - take an angle grinder to it.
    I'm not kidding: it's just a casting with no vital components near it, shaving couple mil won't hurt anything.

Yes, I had to do that to fit 380 brake disks with orig calipers and my 18" Porsche wheels. They did rub a bit initially.

Yours is a hair closer than the OEM's...I'd say 2-3mm max on the top of the caliper near the inner barrel on the stock setup.
    I'd say give them a shot and drive them kinda hard for a week or so before buying tires.
    Last edited by Muggy; September 13th, 2019 at 12:20.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Should be fine.
    If it ever rubs - take an angle grinder to it.
    I'm not kidding: it's just a casting with no vital components near it, shaving couple mil won't hurt anything.

Yes, I had to do that to fit 380 brake disks with orig calipers and my 18" Porsche wheels. They did rub a bit initially.
    That's a good idea. If the stock wheels are almost as close as this I'll just need to remove a small amount from the caliper to give it a little wiggle room.