Thread: Charging problem out of the blue. Any insight?

Mech Charging problem out of the blue. Any insight?

Driving down the road yesterday evening and out of the blue my charging light comes on. I see the voltage gauge posting 8-9V and mutter WTF??? Alternator was overhauled 5 months ago as I opted to freshen things up while I had the front open doing a timing belt service.

I have in the mean time confirmed my battery is fine (also changed 6 months ago prior to our winter here) and will look to confirm voltage directly off the back post of the alternator when I can get the car jacked up and access to things. I'm great with mechanics, but the electronics catch me all the time. In the mean time can anyone on here send me a link or a .pdf from the Bentley manual on troubleshooting this item? I'd like to get this sorted sooner than later.

Thx all.

PS It's possible that either one of the new items (battery or alternator) have crapped the bed yes. I just find it hard to believe out of the blue and less than 6mths old both.
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; May 4th, 2019 at 23:39.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

New parts can and do fail, often early on. Can't speak to how accurate the Volt meter is but much less than 9.6V will cause electronics to shut down.

The newer Voltage regulators don't always take the heat well as the originals. They'll normally work again once cooled down. Good idea to check the AC voltage ripple - a good rebuilder would.

Voltage can also be checked at the junction under the drip tray near the A/C lines. There shouldn't be more then 0.2V drop between the alternator and battery however. There may be a related Alternator fuse on the left dash access panel as well.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Sorted out. OEM Voltage regulator failed in just under 6mths. One of the brushes somehow lodged itself in the housing and made it impossible for the spring to put outwards force on it to engage the slip ring. $55 and a LOT of labour later and it's back tearing up the streets.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Here's what the failed part looked like. No worky when both brushes don't look like the bottom one when sitting loose....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4199.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	18845