Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Me Manual RS6 "Project"

Dude what the F*CK.

Got everything connected and lowered the car to take it for its first drive and it wouldn't go into gear with the car on. If I start the car in gear with clutch depressed it moves. All new Spec Stage 3+ Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Throwout Bearing. PP tq'd to 20 ft'lbs with blue loctite as stated by SPEC. Reason I mention that before I bought the clutch kit (As recommended by a few), the PP bolts backing out seemed to happen to a few people. When asking my friend, he said he ran into the same issue of the car not going into gear or disengaging; upon teardown and inspection the PP bolts had indeed came loose on his.

So with that in mind, here we go again... Got the engine pull down to 2h 13m now though. Separating the trans on Sunday so if I come to find that that's the problem, I will be pissed off and out another $1000.

This is turning into a horrendous nightmare.

20190419_161405 by Joel Francisco
    Last edited by jolio1994; April 20th, 2019 at 13:26.

I can't imagine they would have backed out in such a short time.
    2003 White RS6 BBS RS-GT, RNS-E, KW V3's & Hotchkis
    2001 225bhp tt roadster 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Slave cylinder wasn't leaking and clutch bled great. From my experience, if the pushrod is out of alignment slightly, it will snap and leak fluid.

That said, I tore it apart tonight... Here's what I found, as I found it. Let me know what you guys think...

Throw out bearing and fork at their "at rest position"
    20190420_161744 by Joel Francisco

Throw out bearing and for at their "engaged position"
    20190420_161747 by Joel Francisco

Clutch and Pressure Plate installed. Pressure plate bolts were all still torque'd to 20 ft-lbs; I had to break the loctite.
    20190420_161800 by Joel Francisco

Clutch and Pressure Plate separated from Flywheel. Something was scraping between this side and the flywheel, see next photo. Note the "FW side" for proper installation.
    20190420_161945 by Joel Francisco

Flywheel. Slight gauging on the inner section closest to the bolts.
    20190420_164144 by Joel Francisco

Clutch and Pressure Plate separated.
    Is is normal for the metal tabs on the outside of the adjustment springs to make contact with the fingers of the Pressure Plate?
    20190420_161949 by Joel Francisco

'Nother angle.
    20190420_164031 by Joel Francisco

Do I buy a Clutchmasters FX400 kit and call it a day?

Looks like the wrong disc/pressure plate match. Call them up and see if they'll make it right? I did the Addict Motorsports Stage 3+ clutch, not sure who makes it for them. I've only got 50 miles on it but it feels pretty good. We'll see how long it lasts, I don't do city driving very often, mostly rural and country.
    2003 White RS6 BBS RS-GT, RNS-E, KW V3's & Hotchkis
    2001 225bhp tt roadster 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Let me clarify, I think I can full heartily say that I dont think it has anything to do with the Adapter Kit. Tolerances and measurements are all spot on, and out of all the kits out there, I seem to be the only one that's had this issue.

So far, everybodies confirmed what I thought, so I'm happy were all kinda on the same page.

I'll be contacting Spec, but I dont think I'll be staying with them. The throwout bearing is proprietary with that spacer, and right now I feel it being larger and sticking into the pressure plate more than and OEM TOB isnt helping my situation.

Where did you get your clutch from?

For the record, I have a Spec stage 3+ and it’s wonderful. I had a different clutch originally and it was not wonderful, the Spec is much better. Smoother engagement, a little more pedal pressure (which I prefer), and no issues holding under full power. Not that it should make a difference, but I purchased mine through Pelican Parts, although it still shipped directly from Spec.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Quote Originally Posted by P1054 View Post
    For the record, I have a Spec stage 3+ and it’s wonderful. I had a different clutch originally and it was not wonderful, the Spec is much better. Smoother engagement, a little more pedal pressure (which I prefer), and no issues holding under full power. Not that it should make a difference, but I purchased mine through Pelican Parts, although it still shipped directly from Spec.
    Had similar experience with Spec in my first MT RS6.
    Didn't try "a different clutch" first, though.

Going to overnight some parts from Japan, well... rather Ringer .

Yes, getting a Ringer Stage 4+ Clutch kit as well as a new Slave Cylinder.

Should be here no later than Wednesday.
    Install Engine on Thursday
    Car running Friday
    On the ground driving 'round Saturday.

Pretty ambitious, but let's get er' done. Hopefully this is the last time. Everything else is perfect on the car so I shouldn't have anymore unforeseen issues.