Thread: Feeler looking @ 2013+ RS7 VS. 2013 S8 - NEED 1ST hand insight

Feeler looking @ 2013+ RS7 VS. 2013 S8 - NEED 1ST hand insight

Currently driving a 2004 Audi RS6 that I love...

Looking for an RS7 or a S8 to use as a DD, my mechanic asks every time I service the RS6 if he can buy it, so the wheels are turning in my head. What is the general consensus here on S8 VS RS7.

S8 pros & cons as I see them: I admit I love the interior & exterior styling & looks of the S8 and it's supposed to be a special under rated top of the line engine factory freak gift from Audi that rates well above 520 stock flywheel hp, on the other hand it seems like a very large car and the back seats apparently do not fold down. Pre-owned S8 prices on average seem to be about 6-8K less than RS7

RS7 is the new beast for the US market, has sporty interior and 560 stock flywheel hp that can be juiced nicely. I do not love the back of this cars hatch design from a looks perspective however I feel it may be practical and useful. I have a friend who has an S7 and loves it.

Does anyone know of the common issues each of the cars listed above have or share and what to look for option wise etc?
    What say the AUDI experts on here how to pass the torch to the next generation of Audi top of the line product?
    TIA
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Some random thoughts:

Essentially same engine & same trans, so approx the same tuning potential.
    Engines don't last very well past 50-60K miles, if abused.

S8 is more of a "modernized" RS6C5 IMHO. Feels very similarly.
    RS7 is a bit faster due to aerodynamics & weight.

S8 FTW

mine has 60k zero issues runs 10s. Mikes has 80-90 also no issues

it has the RS7 engine

lower price point

sleeper in a pinstripe suit

FWIW, I was told the S8 engine has beefed up internals over the RS7. Never heard of the engines having any issues although “if abused” is rather subjective so I wouldn’t be surprised if one develops premature engine failure issues after hooning on the car and not keeping up on oil changes and maintenance for 60k

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    S8 FTW

mine has 60k zero issues runs 10s. Mikes has 80-90 also no issues

it has the RS7 engine

lower price point

sleeper in a pinstripe suit
    Didn't think you made into the 10's, lots of talk about it tho....
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

RS7...good luck!
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

S8... more good luck.

RS7 is 1980's Bentley Lagona Bulldog ugly
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

The 4.0TT has 2 semi-common issues:
    -failing PCV valve @ 40-60k miles, which is a $1500-$2000 fix outside of warranty
    -turbos can fail, even without tuning

That said, it’s a paragon of reliability compared to many earlier Audi V8s.

As far as S8 vs RS7 - comes down to traditional sedan vs. the practicality of a hatchback, though the RS7 is likely the better handler overall.

Test drove a black on black S8 w/ carbon fiber and B&O sound system this weekend.

70K miles 1 owner and asking price is 32K in change, car recently was run thru auto auction purchased wholesale at 28 so figure dealer has $30K into car.

S8 interior is nice interior but the car seems docile compared to the RS6 and it's a huge boat without folding back seats & is fitted w/ standard non cross drilled rotors. I think I'll pass on the S8 & try test driving the RS7 next...
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Quote Originally Posted by nistah View Post
    ...the car seems docile compared to the RS6 and it's a huge boat without folding back seats...
    It may not FEEL as fast as the RS6, if that's what you mean, but in reality, it's quite a bit faster. The RS6 has old-school "nothing/bam" turbo lag - the 4.0TT's powerband is much smoother.

For me, the lack of a folding rear seat disqualifies the S8. YMMV.