Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Me Manual RS6 "Project"

Dude what the F*CK.

Got everything connected and lowered the car to take it for its first drive and it wouldn't go into gear with the car on. If I start the car in gear with clutch depressed it moves. All new Spec Stage 3+ Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Throwout Bearing. PP tq'd to 20 ft'lbs with blue loctite as stated by SPEC. Reason I mention that before I bought the clutch kit (As recommended by a few), the PP bolts backing out seemed to happen to a few people. When asking my friend, he said he ran into the same issue of the car not going into gear or disengaging; upon teardown and inspection the PP bolts had indeed came loose on his.

So with that in mind, here we go again... Got the engine pull down to 2h 13m now though. Separating the trans on Sunday so if I come to find that that's the problem, I will be pissed off and out another $1000.

This is turning into a horrendous nightmare.

20190419_161405 by Joel Francisco
    Last edited by jolio1994; April 20th, 2019 at 14:26.

I can't imagine they would have backed out in such a short time.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Slave cylinder wasn't leaking and clutch bled great. From my experience, if the pushrod is out of alignment slightly, it will snap and leak fluid.

That said, I tore it apart tonight... Here's what I found, as I found it. Let me know what you guys think...

Throw out bearing and fork at their "at rest position"
    20190420_161744 by Joel Francisco

Throw out bearing and for at their "engaged position"
    20190420_161747 by Joel Francisco

Clutch and Pressure Plate installed. Pressure plate bolts were all still torque'd to 20 ft-lbs; I had to break the loctite.
    20190420_161800 by Joel Francisco

Clutch and Pressure Plate separated from Flywheel. Something was scraping between this side and the flywheel, see next photo. Note the "FW side" for proper installation.
    20190420_161945 by Joel Francisco

Flywheel. Slight gauging on the inner section closest to the bolts.
    20190420_164144 by Joel Francisco

Clutch and Pressure Plate separated.
    Is is normal for the metal tabs on the outside of the adjustment springs to make contact with the fingers of the Pressure Plate?
    20190420_161949 by Joel Francisco

'Nother angle.
    20190420_164031 by Joel Francisco

Do I buy a Clutchmasters FX400 kit and call it a day?

Looks like the wrong disc/pressure plate match. Call them up and see if they'll make it right? I did the Addict Motorsports Stage 3+ clutch, not sure who makes it for them. I've only got 50 miles on it but it feels pretty good. We'll see how long it lasts, I don't do city driving very often, mostly rural and country.
    Roy, WA

Let me clarify, I think I can full heartily say that I dont think it has anything to do with the Adapter Kit. Tolerances and measurements are all spot on, and out of all the kits out there, I seem to be the only one that's had this issue.

So far, everybodies confirmed what I thought, so I'm happy were all kinda on the same page.

I'll be contacting Spec, but I dont think I'll be staying with them. The throwout bearing is proprietary with that spacer, and right now I feel it being larger and sticking into the pressure plate more than and OEM TOB isnt helping my situation.

Where did you get your clutch from?

For the record, I have a Spec stage 3+ and it’s wonderful. I had a different clutch originally and it was not wonderful, the Spec is much better. Smoother engagement, a little more pedal pressure (which I prefer), and no issues holding under full power. Not that it should make a difference, but I purchased mine through Pelican Parts, although it still shipped directly from Spec.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Quote Originally Posted by P1054 View Post
    For the record, I have a Spec stage 3+ and it’s wonderful. I had a different clutch originally and it was not wonderful, the Spec is much better. Smoother engagement, a little more pedal pressure (which I prefer), and no issues holding under full power. Not that it should make a difference, but I purchased mine through Pelican Parts, although it still shipped directly from Spec.
    Had similar experience with Spec in my first MT RS6.
    Didn't try "a different clutch" first, though.

Going to overnight some parts from Japan, well... rather Ringer .

Yes, getting a Ringer Stage 4+ Clutch kit as well as a new Slave Cylinder.

Should be here no later than Wednesday.
    Install Engine on Thursday
    Car running Friday
    On the ground driving 'round Saturday.

Pretty ambitious, but let's get er' done. Hopefully this is the last time. Everything else is perfect on the car so I shouldn't have anymore unforeseen issues.

Wow, I must say I'm impressed. I overnight'd the Ringer Stage 4+ Clutch from Cali and it was at my doorstep at 10am. Kinda feels good overnighting something so important, like it's almost a Prestige thing I guess. Anyways, the kit came with the clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing... all are installed and the trans is back on the engine waiting to go in the car, tomorrow for sure.

I will say that after today, this will be the 7th clutch I've done 01E wise (Between B5 S4's and URS4's) so I doubt it could be an installation error. Anyways, well find out tomorrow once it's in the car.
    Please please please be the last time the engine is out this year! They say the 3rd time's the charm!
    20190423_135610 by Joel Francisco

Ahead of schedule here.

Engine/Trans in, Driveshaft, CV Axles, and exhaust all installed and bolted in.

Tomorrow I should have time to install the front of the car, bleed the clutch, cooling system, and power steering. Get in some final tq checks, and fingers crossed it works, if not... I'll probably sell it or part it out. Not joking on that last part...

I don't know what I'm going to do with all this free time I'm going to have when I'm done, maybe I'll finally be able to get more than 3 hours of sleep, cut my grass, kill some weeds...

2019-04-24_06-53-50 by Joel Francisco

Welp, guess SPEC is garbage. This Ringer Racing Stage 4+ Clutch seemed to do the trick. "Runs and Drives" now. Tomorrow I'll do the final tq checks and install bumper/headlights.... and then cut the grass lol.

Starter doesnt sound like it went on 100% perfect while cranking so I'll loosen it up and re-seat it. Other than that, no leaks, no funny noises, clutch feels great... I'm pumped.

20190425_193956 by Joel Francisco

Congrats, it feels great when the big stuff is done and you can concentrate on buttoning up the small things.....Although you and I have both had that feeling before then realized you had to start with the big stuff AGAIN. Damn. You're ahead of me right now, I'm awaiting two of the braided lines from the back of the engine, coming from Germany.
    Roy, WA

Hah it's a damn good feeling man! Did you too install the engine only to pull it back out a day later? It's no fun for sure.

I'm really really hoping I can loosen the inner start bolt tomorrow to re seat it. If theres a will theres a way though.

Surprised Jim Ellis Audi doesnt have them in stock? So far they've had every P/N I've needed for this car, though when it comes to the stainless lines, I probably wouldve just made my own with some -4 or -6 line and A/N fittings.

Wow... hard to believe the car was where it was this time last week....

Friday: Failing to move under its own power, I pulled the engine for the 3rd time.
    Saturday: Separated the Engine/Trans to realize SPEC sucks.
    Monday: Ordered and overnight'd the Ringer Stage 4+ Clutch.
    Tuesday: Installed clutch and matted Engine/Trans.
    Wednesday: Installed in the car.
    Thursday: Wired everything and installed front clip.
    Friday (Today): Installed front bumper and headlights. Took the car out on its first shakedown and it is awesome! I can't say how happy I am. a bitI forgot it's like a 21 gallon tank and spent $75 at the pump today. [:/] Who cares though lol.

Tomorrow: ?Going to adjust the starter a bit more and get some miles on it.

Woot!

20190426_145210 by Joel Francisco
    20190426_155241 by Joel Francisco

Straight Pipes + Garage = Awesome?

Had it installed and was running pretty well. Doing pulls to log data for the manual tune and it was getting higher than requested boost. Checked the lines once and couldn't find and issue but it still occurred. I pressurized the lines and found a leak in the pressure control hose. Somehow I managed to damage one of the other lines in my feats so I ordered two. Now I also out of the blue decided it would be easier to do if I pulled the intake manifold as I've never had it off before and figured it would be the last lines I needed to replace preventative. Replacing most of the lines with quality Silicone or PCV depending on the line and waiting for my other two lines from Germany. I could have driven and hour to a shop that builds custom lines and I really should've. Have an S5 3.0t project (Stg 2 tune) that I've finally started putting together so I'll work on that for now.
    Roy, WA

Car is all put back together. I put about 100 miles on it today and shakedown seems to be going very well. This car sounds like a freakin' animal! Finished the night off by the ocean.

Lovin' this thing.
    IB4 it breaks again and I have to pull the motor [>_<]

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwyA5O7j..._web_copy_link

20190427_215937 by Joel Francisco
    20190426_232224 by Joel Francisco

Yayyyyyy
    2nd-4th WOT Shakedown still on the stock auto tune.