Thread: exhaust modifications or replacement, pros and cons and opinions....

exhaust modifications or replacement, pros and cons and opinions....

Hi everyone,

I love the sound of my C5 RS6, but i am wondering if anyone has modified their stock exhaust or swapped the whole system for something else? Pros, con, advises, gains? mine has the SE and sounds great has i mentioned, but i would love to hear it a little more but i don't want droning either, just want to enjoy that growl. I plan on power upgrades eventually but not for this year.

Thanks

I've got a whole Miltek system on mine. Catless downpipes and the resonated Miltek exhaust. Isn't much louder than stock until you really get on it. The Whole Miltek system is about 4mm larger diameter than stock for slightly extra flow.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Most go with a full milltek system, either resonated or not. You can search YouTube for videos. Other popular option is deleting the resonators on the stock exhaust.

The RS stock exhaust flows pretty well, with the dps as the exception. I think the biggest performance improvement would come from gutting the stock dps or going with aftermarket.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

I did a custom exhaust from USP and Miltek tips. Easier to go with a full Miltek system but I am happy. https://youtu.be/wv9wEMiLku8
    RS6 2003 Mugello , silver, carbon, Revo, KW3s, Hotchkis sway bars, Custom exhaust, Hawk HPS pads, RNS-E, Bluetooth, 19" BBS CH(Black)

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I've got a whole Miltek system on mine. Catless downpipes and the resonated Miltek exhaust. Isn't much louder than stock until you really get on it. The Whole Miltek system is about 4mm larger diameter than stock for slightly extra flow.
    Ok thank you. By being larger did you gain much or just a better system over stock?

Quote Originally Posted by kruat View Post
    Most go with a full milltek system, either resonated or not. You can search YouTube for videos. Other popular option is deleting the resonators on the stock exhaust.

The RS stock exhaust flows pretty well, with the dps as the exception. I think the biggest performance improvement would come from gutting the stock dps or going with aftermarket.
    Thanks for the input, i actually like the sounds of the stock SE on mine, just wish for a little more growl i guess? But i am also looking forward to power upgrades in the future and i don't want to redo it again once i do so. I am getting a 034 Motorsports chip in May but bigger power upgrades in the future as well.

Quote Originally Posted by stubro View Post
    I did a custom exhaust from USP and Miltek tips. Easier to go with a full Miltek system but I am happy. https://youtu.be/wv9wEMiLku8
    Very nice, love the sound of that, deep growl but not overbearing either! Any drowning inside on long hwy miles or streets?

Rah, can't say what gains if any as I already had the Miltek downpipes in the car for the last 10yrs, just replaced the SE exhaust with the Miltek as a great sale was on a couple of years ago. Car was off the road for the Manual conversion so it is definitely faster than with the Auto box (100# lighter, less powertrain losses).
    Roy, WA

Ca someone post more info on the SE exhaust? Differences to stock? How do I know if I have it or not?

Thx!
    2003 Avus RS6 01E, nubcake, Hotchkis
    2003 Daytona RS6 01E, nubcake, Hotchkis, rear ended at 50mph, totaled, RIP
    1991 Acura NSX, supercharged, 425rwhp, recently sold

Quote Originally Posted by boca rat View Post
    Ca someone post more info on the SE exhaust? Differences to stock? How do I know if I have it or not?

Thx!
    SE has matte black tips, about it visually I think...has a bit more rumble when next to the stock shiny silver tip exhaust.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Also the SE exhaust is 3 piece where if I remember right the normal exhaust is 1 or 2 piece.
    Roy, WA

Thx to both who replied. I guess I need to find a video of a comparison, seems I have the standard exhaust

Also the SE exhaust is 3 piece where if I remember right the normal exhaust is 1 or 2 piece.
    2003 Avus RS6 01E, nubcake, Hotchkis
    2003 Daytona RS6 01E, nubcake, Hotchkis, rear ended at 50mph, totaled, RIP
    1991 Acura NSX, supercharged, 425rwhp, recently sold

Quote Originally Posted by boca rat View Post
    Thx to both who replied. I guess I need to find a video of a comparison, seems I have the standard exhaust
    What was said above is correct from what i also know, my exhaust is a 3 piece and the tips are matte black vs the stock silver ones. The level of sound difference is not huge per say but it definitely has more rumble, especially in sports mode.

Rah, can't say what gains if any as I already had the Miltek downpipes in the car for the last 10yrs, just replaced the SE exhaust with the Miltek as a great sale was on a couple of years ago. Car was off the road for the Manual conversion so it is definitely faster than with the Auto box (100# lighter, less powertrain losses).
    Gotcha makes sense, anything lighter on those cars will make a difference that's for sure.