Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And now for something completely different!...

And now for something completely different!...

My fast and smooth '13 S6 has been replaced by this:

a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Performance, aka M3P (with apologies to BMW...)

It was delivered on 12/28 (yay $7500 income tax credit!) and I can already state unequivocally that it's the best car I've ever owned.

First time in 20 years that my DD isn't an Audi, but I don't regret a thing.

Happy New Year!

Happy new year, glad you found you like as your DD, i heard good things about these model 3!

Quote Originally Posted by rah View Post
    Happy new year, glad you found you like as your DD, i heard good things about these model 3!
    Thanks.

The "Performance" part of the name is an understatement, to say the least. The way it warps forward from a stop is only surpassed by the way it leaps from any rolling speed to hyper-speed! With no gearbox and 100% torque as soon as the accelerator is pressed, it gives a new meaning to the words quick and fast. The handling is also in a completely different league than any car (Audi or otherwise) I've ever owned. It's an absolute riot to drive.

Congratulations.
    I am close to completing my 3-year lease on a Model S P90D and it has been trouble free, and amazing fun driving it. The RS6 still sees a few miles but not quite as many. I think I drove the RS6 maybe 1.5K miles in 2018.
    Not sure what I will do with Model S, if keeping it or getting a newer one. But I promise to drive the RS6 more.

Enjoy your M3P !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nene View Post
    Congratulations.
    I am close to completing my 3-year lease on a Model S P90D and it has been trouble free, and amazing fun driving it. The RS6 still sees a few miles but not quite as many. I think I drove the RS6 maybe 1.5K miles in 2018.
    Not sure what I will do with Model S, if keeping it or getting a newer one. But I promise to drive the RS6 more.

Enjoy your M3P !!!!
    Thanks!

Also, wow, I had no idea that you had a Tesla! Good to know that it’s been a very positive experience.

I hemmed and hawed over this decision for months, but now that I have the car I wonder why I waited?!? 😁

as much as I love my petrol cars, I'm not blind to the fact that these are the future. electric cars (and motorcycles - I've ridden the prototype Harley-Davidson Livewire) not only make all their torque straightaway, throttle response is instantaneous, and makes you aware of the slight lag in even the most responsive engines.

Tesla styling doesn't bowl me over however. I'll put even money that Audi makes an RS e-Tron within a decade.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    as much as I love my petrol cars, I'm not blind to the fact that these are the future. electric cars...not only make all their torque straightaway, throttle response is instantaneous, and makes you aware of the slight lag in even the most responsive engines...
    This x 1000!

The eTron GT looks like it will be very tempting, as long as the range and charging infrastructure are there.

One issue weighing on my decision to let go or keep the Model S is the unknown of what other cars will be bringing to market within the next 12 months.
    Top priority on my list is the Porsche Taycan (artist previously known as Mission E). The Audi eTron that was recently shown that is based on the same platform as the Porsche is also good looking.

I love the minimalistic approach of the Tesla. Feels so un-cluttered. I've grown to love it quite a lot. Also like it because it is a US company.
    My fleet could make sure for 2 EVs if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by nene View Post
    One issue weighing on my decision to let go or keep the Model S is the unknown of what other cars will be bringing to market within the next 12 months.
    Top priority on my list is the Porsche Taycan (artist previously known as Mission E). The Audi eTron that was recently shown that is based on the same platform as the Porsche is also good looking.

I love the minimalistic approach of the Tesla. Feels so un-cluttered. I've grown to love it quite a lot. Also like it because it is a US company.
    My fleet could make sure for 2 EVs if necessary.
    The thought of what's coming from other manufacturers ALMOST prevented me from buying the Tesla, but in the end I decided that Tesla's head start in battery tech and charging infrastructure would have them out front for quite a while yet. I guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    ... Tesla's head start in battery tech and charging infrastructure would have them out front for quite a while yet.
    Agree 100%. The supercharging network they have built is sure to continue to be a game changer for a while.
    In the 3 years of ownership I have only used the superchargers twice just to try it out. In my case it is less important, but it is a good "security blanket" to have if and when needed.

I am in the land of Tesla- the most sold make in the SF Bay Area mid peninsula by far- and one of my sons has a model 3 and he and his wife love it. The original Tesla showroom was blocks from me in Palo Alto. But I still love the sound of a twin turbo V8, and the style of the 3 does nothing for me. I am waiting on the Taycan to see how this pans out when released, as it looks gorgeous and the estimated specs look fine. I think the answer is to have an EV like one of these for the DD, and keep a twin turbo V8 Audi for fun!
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    ...But I still love the sound of a twin turbo V8...I am waiting on the Taycan to see how this pans out when released, as it looks gorgeous and the estimated specs look fine. I think the answer is to have an EV like one of these for the DD, and keep a twin turbo V8 Audi for fun!
    I love that sound too but I actually get a bigger kick out of this car's incredible responsiveness and handling.

And then there's this:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesl...ersion-review/

The Taycan and eTron GT are both gorgeous, and both will also be out of my comfort zone price-wise, sadly. And it will be a while yet until they're ready.

I love that sound too but I actually get a bigger kick out of this car's incredible responsiveness and handling.

And then there's this:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesl...ersion-review/

The Taycan and eTron GT are both gorgeous, and both will also be out of my comfort zone price-wise, sadly. And it will be a while yet until they're ready.
    I tried watching this as I have a lot of respect for eletric cars, but after 30 secs I had to turn it off.

If you do track days and film it just make sure all the footage is from the inside, as my God that's an ugly car!

It's just looks so wrong on a track, it may be quick, but gracious it is not.
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

Quote Originally Posted by fukinavit View Post
    ...my God that's an ugly car!...
    LOL - good thing it's my car and not yours then, huh? "Beauty's in the eye...", and all that.

Everyone who has seen in in person or ridden in/driven it has been absolutely blown away. It's fun seeing their reactions to both the performance AND the tech.

3 months and 2600 miles in and I can't wipe the grin off my face when I think about or drive the car.

Also, I just received an over-the-air update that added about 25 hp (yes, really), and installed a very cool security system that uses the car's 12 cameras to record possible incidences of damage that occur while the car is parked.

Hoping to hit the drag strip this weekend to see what she'll do.... Guessing 11.6 or 11.7...

Thumbs up

3 months and 2600 miles in and I can't wipe the grin off my face when I think about or drive the car.

Also, I just received an over-the-air update that added about 25 hp (yes, really), and installed a very cool security system that uses the car's 12 cameras to record possible incidences of damage that occur while the car is parked.

Hoping to hit the drag strip this weekend to see what she'll do.... Guessing 11.6 or 11.7...
    She ran 11.756 into a 20 mph headwind. Probably a high 11.5 in better conditions.

6 month update:

As predicted by the many Tesla naysayers, mine has been an absolutely horrific ownership experience thus far (@ 5K miles):

-Not a single issue or problem to bitch about.
    -The car is both faster AND smarter than the day I bought it.
    -Musk said it would be faster around a track than an M3, and he was proven right!
    -Handling is similar to the top-spec European competitors, though the retail price is 20+% lower than any of them.
    -The audio system is among the best I've heard in any vehicle, despite no brand name on any of the components.
    -Front seats are amazingly comfortable.
    -SO smooth and quiet.
    -Fantastic visibility - hood drops away dramatically, and the fenders lend it a 911-like view of the road.
    -Road-tripped 400 miles to Northern Michigan recently, and the 2 Supercharging stops required less than 25 minutes in total. I lunched during the first stop and did my grocery-shopping during the second. 6:50 door-to-door including the stops, or just about on par with the time generally required in our ICE vehicles..
    -The "limited" auto-pilot function makes long-distance highway driving much less fatiguing.
    -Zero maintenance required - now or really ever.
    -It feels like it was hewn from a solid steel ingot.

AND, it's more fun to drive than any car I've ever owned.

Horrific, indeed. ;-)

Previous to the Tesla, my S6 and my B8 S4 had been tied as the best cars I'd owned. The Tesla improves upon the fun-to-drive aspect that was my favorite thing about the S4, while also equaling or bettering the refinement and speed that were my favorite aspects of the S6.

Good to hear. A guy that works for me just bought a Model 3 extended range last month. Prior to that I had driven a friends 90D. I am worried about long term things like the door handles and such but all new cars are getting so electronic that it is a worry about all new cars really. I live out in the country, weak or no cell signal and no Supercharging stations around so I set my sights on no sooner than a 350mi range electric car. They are getting close and I think the Model 3 Extended range taps the 300mi mark. I'm even thinking about going with Musk's Solar roof and batteries off the grid in my other house when I sell this one. Would be nice never paying an electric bill. Tesla has come far in a short while, hope the company survives.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Good to hear. A guy that works for me just bought a Model 3 extended range last month. Prior to that I had driven a friends 90D. I am worried about long term things like the door handles and such but all new cars are getting so electronic that it is a worry about all new cars really. I live out in the country, weak or no cell signal and no Supercharging stations around so I set my sights on no sooner than a 350mi range electric car. They are getting close and I think the Model 3 Extended range taps the 300mi mark. I'm even thinking about going with Musk's Solar roof and batteries off the grid in my other house when I sell this one. Would be nice never paying an electric bill. Tesla has come far in a short while, hope the company survives.
    The Model 3 RWD Long Range is EPA-rated at 325 miles of range, while my Performance version is rated at 310. The latest version of the Model S is rated at 370 miles, and Musk promises that 400 miles of range isn't far away.

As far as charging, this most recent trip included only the 3rd and 4th times I've visited a Supercharger in the 6 months I've owned the car. It charges overnight every night, so unless my daily driving exceeds about 275 miles, there's no reason to ever visit a Supercharger.

The Model S's door handles are electrically-operated, while the Model 3's are mechanical. The Model 3 incorporates everything Tesla has learned about building cars and is therefore a much better, more modern platform than the Model S or X, despite its much lower pricing The Model S is due for a design overhaul and the rumors are that it will incorporate the Model 3's more compact, more energy-dense batteries, which will allow more interior space (especially headroom) and more range at the same time.

I too am thinking of the Solar Roof and a Powerwall for our next house.
    Last edited by ZCD2.7T; June 19th, 2019 at 18:44.