Thread: Steering Column RS6

Hybrid View

Steering Column RS6

Had this rattle a year ago when going over uneven ground or up the driveway curb. Had a couple of tie rods replaced - noise is still there.
    Shop advised that I need a new steering gear/column and will be $3500 CDN. Vehicle is 2004 RS6.

Has anyone had this problem before - any suggestions?

Thank you

Check steering rack bolts for tightness.
    Cowl area, 10mm 12-slpine socket.
    Fairly rare, but worth checking before you dump 3.5k: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ing-rack-loose

Will do - Thank you

Has the shop ever switched a steering column? It's engine removal by the book, and likely much more. Reman rack is $1,600, and beware as the first one I got was leaking. You can remove the rack without engine removal but it's a major PITA...

Anyhow, hope it's just loose bolts. If it's not leaking I wouldn't embark on replacing.

Sounds more like some of the front arm bushings, and I've also had similar where top of strut mounts were completely disintegrated, check there too. Check sway bar too.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Great advice - I don't think the shop has changed one before, will have all these other things looked at first.
    Thank you

Sorry for confusion - they are telling me its the steering rack NOT the column, but the price is $3500 CDN

In my case the rattle/creak was clock spring
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS