Thread: Trailerhitch for C5 RS6?

Trailerhitch for C5 RS6?

I love the class 4 hitch on my C5 Allroad (vertical/hidden receiver).
    Is there a similar hitch available for the C5 RS6 being essentially the same chassis?
    Even if it would only be a class 2 (2000 lb) hitch, as long as it is hidden or easily removable!

I just put one in mine. Invisible and is the same one as the Allroad with the vertical receiver. I purchased it from allroadhitch@gmail.com. The RS6 doesn't have the factory wiring harness for the hitch so a trip to a auto parts store is all that is needed. Here is a link to an RS6 with this hitch. Not my car but rather pics provided by the manufacturer of the hitch.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/dvc8m7spc...Vks_5WhdOmma#/

I need a hitch for my RS6 Avant. Will this sedan/allroad hitch work? Let me do some poking around on this

Email sent

As far as I know it works with all C5 chassis cars including the RS6 sedan (I have it on mine) and the RS6 Avant. It’s pretty impressive and replaces the piece of metal behind the bumper. it adds a little weight but not much since you are taking a piece off and replacing it with the new hitch in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    I need a hitch for my RS6 Avant. Will this sedan/allroad hitch work? Let me do some poking around on this

Email sent
    Or find a EU buddy to send you one on the slow boat to USA...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I'd do a trailer hitch if I could mount my motorcycle rack on it, but it requires a hitch rated for 7500lbs (total weight of hitch mounted rack and bike is a little over 500lbs, but as my bike is worth more than my car, I can't take any risks!!
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    I'd do a trailer hitch if I could mount my motorcycle rack on it, but it requires a hitch rated for 7500lbs (total weight of hitch mounted rack and bike is a little over 500lbs, but as my bike is worth more than my car, I can't take any risks!!
    500lb tongue weight is the most I have seen on a 2" hitch (maybe the Touareg with 7700 lbs is rated higher, but Europe only goes to 200 lbs on the tongue, and the US aftermarket hitches only are labeled 5000/500 lbs). Also at the very least, you would need helper springs or convert the RS6 to air suspension. With over 500 lbs 'hanging out there', the car would sag a lot (worse than 3 fat guys in the back seat a bank loot of gold bars in the trunk).

Here are the specs of the one on my car... 3,300 lbs towing weight and 330 lbs tongue weight... same as the Audi owner's manual for the factory allroad hitch.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B69...AwVmN4TVU/edit

Quote Originally Posted by 2000c43 View Post
    Here are the specs of the one on my car... 3,300 lbs towing weight and 330 lbs tongue weight... same as the Audi owner's manual for the factory allroad hitch.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B69...AwVmN4TVU/edit
    What is the source for this information? What brand? The hitch I am using on my C5 (Allroad) is rated at 5000/500. Since it is the same hitch for the RS6, at least the hitch should have the rating, even so the car probably may not handle 500 lb tongue weight as well as the allroad with air and self leveling suspension.

The link is to a site hosted by the manufacturer of the hitch on my car. It is a clone of the factory hitch. Maybe his specs are wrong but in the doc he says its the same rating as the factory hitch. I've never had a factory hitch so I couldn't say one way or the other. I may shoot him an email and see what he says just out of curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000c43 View Post
    The link is to a site hosted by the manufacturer of the hitch on my car. It is a clone of the factory hitch. Maybe his specs are wrong but in the doc he says its the same rating as the factory hitch. I've never had a factory hitch so I couldn't say one way or the other. I may shoot him an email and see what he says just out of curiosity.
    Is it the hitch from Justin? (Allraodhitch.com) If so, I am sure he states the rating of the car. He already confirmed that the RS6 hitch is identical to the Allroad hitch (and on the Allroad, the rating is 5000/500 in the US; in Europe, they only use up to 200 lb tongue weight AFAIK. So its a function of the car (not the hitch). If 3300 is not enough weight capacity, I am sure the RS6 can handle the same (if not more) than the Allroad. Just tongue weight on stock suspension my not be as high. But 5000 lb with 150-200 lb on the hitch should not be a problem at all, considering the Allroad has the smaller 5HP19 tranny (vs the bigger 5HP24 in the RS6), smaller brakes, weaker engine, etc.

Yes... Allroadhitch.com... so it sounds like 5,000 tow and somewhere between 150 and 300 or so on the tongue. Way more than I need either way and the hitch is a really nice build and install was easy.
    Last edited by 2000c43; December 19th, 2018 at 19:45.

Hitch yes. Car: would not put 500 lb weight on hitch on RS6, will get pushed down too much. i would put 200 lbs down if towing 5000 lb. Otherwise car is pushed down to much in the rear.

Agreed and thank you for the insights.

Additional information from Allroadhitch.com I received via email...

"The weight ratings as per the US C5 allroad owner's manual are 3,330 lbs trailer weight / 330 lbs tongue weight. Check your RS6 owner's manual and see if it has any ratings in there.In Europe the allroad tow rating is something like 5000 lbs trailer weight / 250 lbs tongue weight. This is because European trailers are built differently with less tongue weight to allow smaller cars to tow them, but this makes the trailers less dynamically stable so there is also usually a lower speed limit specified for cars that are towing. Here is a good article with more info: https://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me-down-1609112611"