Thread: SCCA GT rear spoiler

SCCA GT rear spoiler

I'm pondering whether to add a replica of the spoiler used on the SCCA RS6 race cars. I'd love to have the massive fender flares too, but that might be a bit hard to come by, and Audi later went to the stock bodykit with only that rear wing (as well as hood vents, etc)

Thoughts? It may not look ghetto if painted Avus Silver to match the car, including uprights. My car is now so low that, to me, the back is begging for some aggressive aero to be added on.

And I wouldn't want to throw on any old wing; it'd have to be a replica.

What makes the C5 RS6 very special to me is the same as the 1st generation Skyline GT-R that I drove previously - both have racing pedigrees and dominated their respective championships. I'd like to pay an homage to that by driving a replica - which really wouldn't be that hard. So far as I can see from the second version SCCA race car, other than hood/headlight ducts, it's only the wing that differs. Even the wheels are stock (or are the same design as stock).

The 1st generation Skyline has inspired several owners to build exacting visual replicas of the Group A race version. Not much was done in terms of aerokits, so they've done the wheels, and some as far as replicating the sponsor livery. I don't think I'd go that far with my RS6...although the white with big giant Audi rings does look pretty cool

I haven't seen any street RS6s with SCCA bodywork. Too radical for the average RS6 driver? Parts impossible to source? Or would it just look wrong??
    Last edited by kismetcapitan; May 19th, 2012 at 09:43.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

I have not seen this. Can you post some pictures for reference?
    www.jsmotorcar.com

I would say skip. Go with a nice set of forged wheels for weight savings and update the look of the car.
    Understated power and beauty takes the cake anyday.

the widebody version:

and the one I'd like to duplicate - stock body w/spoiler and front diffuser:

I have ALWAYS loved homologation cars: the E30 M3. M-B 190E 2.5-16 Evo. M-B CLK-DTM. Audi Sport Quattro. There is nothing subtle at all about these cars. No one's really done a street replica of the championship-winning RS6 (because as you say, RS6 owners generally prefer the understated appearance contrasting with outstanding performance), but with my car lowered as it is and the fender flares completely filled with wheels spacered out, it looks a lot more aggressive. Why not take it all the way

That painting of the wide body is incredible. Oh how I would love to have that framed and mounted in my study.

Stephen

I love those widebody machines; back in the day they had to change the racing rules because they dominated everywhere !

The 'bodies' of those race cars were all of CF. Incredibly expensive. Audi Sport NA did a video on these cars getting built up at Champion to race and one of the RS6s doors were shown in detail. The motors were surprisingly stock tho (via class rules).

I think when they sold off the cars a few years ago (they eBay'd one that I know of) there were several spare sets of fenders, bumper covers, rims, etc included in the deal. I seem to remember reserve was at like $200K (?)

It would be so worth it if someone had molds made of these race panels so replicas could be made. More folks over in Europe and the Middle East race (or did race) the C5 RS6s but their stuff is prolly all custom too....AFAIK, the 2 Champion early widebody cars were the only ones produced/raced. So there are prolly no road going tributes to them using off the shelf race body panels. Perhaps you will step up and be the first !!
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

I'm going to start with the rear wing, and then see if anything pops up regarding the fenders/side skirts. Keeping my car Avus Silver, I believe the result will ultimately be like the Mercedes CLK-DTM, or the SL65 Black Series. Those cars are either sickeningly ostentatious, or really cool - depends on personal taste really.

The CLK-DTM was one hell of a car, and although a lot of the vents on the bodywork were non-functional, the interior was just an orgy of carbon fiber. Neck-snapping immediate power, and the tail NEVER stayed straight:

Not mine, but I did get to flog it. Lust for this car was tempered by its unpredictable nature. The owner wrecked it twice - kind of like an 80s 911 Turbo. You never knew when the car would turn on you and decide to try to kill you...

Ever find any fender flares that would work? I was kind of thinking about this for mine with an updated front and paint.
    Regards,
    Aaron

I would LOVE to have a widebody replica! That is one SEXY car! I think if anyone wanted to go in with me on having those fenders made I would be all for it. Though I would probably take the opportunity to go ahead and build a widebody RS6 Avant. Wow I just gave myself chills!
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp

I woould love to trade out the current fenders and do the wider ones. I would be in for it as I hate having the ties rub the inner walls when under hard cornering.
    Regards,
    Aaron.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000292.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	13495

Name:	WP_000293.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	13496

Is this a CLK-DTM or Black or none of the above?
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post

Name:	WP_000292.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	13495

Name:	WP_000293.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	13496

Is this a CLK-DTM or Black or none of the above?

Its a Black race car
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp

Quote Originally Posted by bmwade View Post
    Its a Black race car
    WITH ..... a cup holder
    I do like the flared fenders
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

yep, not a CLK-DTM. The interiors of those are very distinctive - EVERYTHING is carbon fiber, and I mean everything. Plus there's a plaque by the shifter.

http://www.aprperformance.com/index....ask=view&id=35

One of the fellow RS owners had this on his car.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I've now owned my RS6 for 7 years and I'm getting that itch. But coming up with pretty much nothing practical to trade it in for, I'm beginning to think doing a replica of the widebody race car would do the job. If doing that plus a manual swap could cost less than a new Fiat 500 Abarth, I think I'd be quite pleased with the result!

No engine mods planned; I'll replace worn parts with upgrades when it comes up (i.e. leaking intercoolers).

What about this idea; instead of doing the exact red and grey livery, adopting the matte black livery and more muted stickers from the Audi R8 LMS Ultra?

Then delete the mufflers (keeping the stock SE pipes of course for when I get sick of the noise) and it ought to be a pretty rowdy car!

Keep in mind that aero devices actually have an impact on handling. And, for the most part, adding a wing would benefit from (if not need) a front splitter to off-set downforce at high speed.

I can't recall if the SCCA GT wing was a spec version, though.

CW