Thread: Need KW V3 install manual detailing factory click settings

Need KW V3 install manual detailing factory click settings

Hi all,

installing a set of V3s on the Avant. Anyone have the factory settings for compression and rebound?

just want to start at that point.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/17...ht=#post148419

Supposedly mine were set per instructions. Far too bouncy. Crashed over everything. Not good for long term interior integrity....

Be brave and drill the shock towers.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Stock settings from kw are a bit off.

Prefered setting is to add 2 clicks of additional rebound damping to the front.

That will probably help a bit. I think there's more to be had.

KW-V3 = had me a bit lost and frustrated both with their published info and tech dept. Otherwise one of the best setups.

Had a ex Formula Atlantic crew chief and local highzoot shop owner help me on mine. I've tuned more than a few shocks, various springs rates on cars, including a number of high dollar full suspension pedal bikes. Things like double adjustable damping with double air (pos/neg) springs, preload, ride height, various shock angles and spring rates. Thought I knew a few things.

Have since made more adjustments continually improving the ride quality last couple years. Basically a lot more compression and rebound damping. Helps reduce pitch poling and crashing. Now a couple front rebound clicks to suit my mood and tire/wheel combo, even road conditions.

Not perfect but it's very good for this car. Couple joy rides and rec'd unsolicited positive comments on ride vs handling. Even a late model Porsche owner. Apparently 120 on a bumpy old road in the rain was an eye opener. Car glued.

The only "perfect suspension" I've driven is a R8 after I replaced the mag shocks with fixed OEM KW's. Faultless even on bumpy roads. Engine in the back surely helps.

But some consider perfect to be a old Citroen with hydraulic ride and 80 series tires.

How much more compression damping?

we are on the same path once again. First thing I did was add more rebound damping years ago with RS6 #1

hsha, been messing around with my double air SID xx as well. Just found a NOS box unit and put it on my Santa Cruz carbon Blur. This ol fart spent 2 hrs on the trails today and tuning on the Avant tonight. Just got back from data logging and going over the details.

A lot more comp...maybe 3/4 towards full stop...i'm within a 1/4 turn range. Steep curve, very sensitive- might be at the bottom before the rate spikes (dyno sheet must be available somewhere). I'd have to see where my notes left off.
    Rebound is the issue due to accessibility. Front is about 2-3 clicks from full firm.
    That was the summer back roads setting on 3 ply sidewall 30 series in 200 treadwear. Stiff. Seemed softer shocks were the answer - completely the opposite. With luxo ride Michelins main issue is the slow speed damping from my experience with PSS's.

The rear is for more forgiving. The front is about good as I can get it. Keep going back and forth couple clicks at each oil change. Need to have my race guy 2nd me. Will fiddle with it next spring. Going to pull the shocks to make for rebound access. Providing surgery isn't too invasive.

Nice bike, always wanted to ride a Santa Cruz. In the golden years of full suspension while at Fisher (2hrs from city of Santa Cruz) got to ride Mert Lawill's prototype Leader fork. And Gary's (Fisher) personal FS bike in the hills of Marin. It sucked,disc brakes, pre coil or air rear shocks, tubular tires. The old/early SID's are a favorite- forged crowns, CNC"d internal bits. Had every version including the dual crowns back then. Sold my last one a NOS Sid SL in brilliant blue only about a year ago. Very nice pocket money from it. Sent it to Marin County, ironically. It held air for 15+ years!

Was saving it for my Trek Fuel 100 (i was a test rider and assembly engineer). Too heavy now for small stanchions to handle very well.

Glad someone is out riding!
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post

Reminds me. Awhile back I installed new Koni's per recommended forum/public settings. We think it was over damped. It had a tendency to stack up due to high (but set mid range) rebound. But maybe it's broken in enough by now. I'd rather have a bit too much than too little damping on a really fast car. Long as it doesn't stack up too much of course.

Did another one with sport Bilsteins. Bolt in and go. Perfect for daily driving. Very reactive to varying conditions. I like it when the car settles in the same stroke after bumping thru a dip at highway speeds. Even my 6,000lb VW does that. No bouncing.

It's hard to beat an a nice OEM setup.
    Cheers, G2/Gary

Haha

i still have my favorite cross country race bike. Manitou frameset with the blue SID SL....that thing was like greased lightning! Then we moved to Colorado and I needed a XC full suspension setup. My hand built in Boulder Maverick ML 7.5 hangs in the shop. By Paul Turner himself. That bike did all the epic Colorado distance races. Leadville and Vail 100s and Breckinridge 50s.

56 next month! I got my long wanted RS6 Avant to throw bikes and gear into. I'm satisfied

Always admired Manitou' aluminum creations. Sold one new (full suspension) back in the day early 90's after Fisher went under (for the record they were being force fed crap from Taiwan since Gary had to sell out). Manitou was VERY light for the time. Cycled by Doug Bradbury' (I think?) Manitou workshop in CO circa late 80's. I was at the OTC for road racing then. Always regretted not stopping in but was freezing cold coming down the mountain that day from about 9k up. After breaking my Cyclo-X bike while there met Keith Bontrager (introduced by one Mr. Eddy B of Olympic coaching fame). He brazed me back up. Ten years later I'm making sure his stuff works and fits on high production level bikes. Got to ride with a few of the biggest names in world while there. Unforgettable.

Wasn't directly exposed (in a shop setting) to Turner but he's bit of a legend as well. Those are big name races. Longest ATB/MTB race I did was Revenge of the Siskiyous in Ashland, OR at 50 miles. Serious ride, very fast with mega climbs. So steep many pushed (hence "revenge"). I did fairly well against the big boy pro's beating some notables as a kid/junior. Even at a Nationals in Idaho. I was sorta sponsored by.....Peugeot. Yeah. It was against the odds as Peugeot was losing it's tail in the market. The bike was a well made tank. Descended awesome due to slack angles, a low BB- could drift it at high speeds descending while clipping pedals like a roadie in a crit next to ravines with teeth. Hoohaa! Another good one up in Wisco is the Sequamegon 40 (sp?). Oldest race in the nation? Huge, like 1600 en-mass start. Greg Lemond won it once, maybe it was Lance Armstrong- both were Trekkies in the 90's. Greg was into entry level Formula racing. He was pretty good - saw him race once.

Seems we're the only pedal bikers here Dave. Couldn't possibly be?

RS6 Avant, now you're talking. Push the loud pedal and go. Maybe we'll hear about it.

Maybe I can keep this VAG V10 diesel long enough to mate it to a C6 V10 RS6 Avant someday...I'll be equally satisfied.
    Cheers, G2/Gary

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post

Another "reminds me" worth sharing. For some reason KW recommends periodically recalibrating the damping. Supposed to run the damping screw to the limit. This "resets" the valving. Then back to your regularly scheduled ride quality program of your choice.

Yep, Doug Bradbury in Manitou Springs. He sold the shock name to Answer back in the day. But the frames he made in his shop were literally masterpieces. I wonder what's there now....hmmm

You were at OTC? Nice

you mean the Chequamegon 40 in Wisconsin? That race is still going strong!

I drove my wagon today! Life is good, going for a mtn bike ride tomorrow as well.

Cheers to you Gary!