Thread: Transmission issues - Fault 17125 & 17119 Praying it is minor

Transmission issues - Fault 17125 & 17119 Praying it is minor

So my son was driving the beast last night, this is his car now, and the car had shiftin issues. I ran the VAG and here are the errors.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01L-927-156.lbl
    Part No: 4B0 927 156 FL
    Component: AG5 01L 4.2l5VT USA 0305
    Coding: 0000002
    Shop #: WSC 02195 785 00200
    VCID: 76E9D239024733F1C3-5124

2 Faults Found:
    17125 - Torque Converter Clutch
    P0741 - 003 - Stuck OFF / No Power being transferred - MIL ON
    17119 - Gear 5
    P0735 - 003 - Incorrect Ratio
    RS6 2003 Mugello , silver, carbon, Revo, KW3s, Hotchkis sway bars, Custom exhaust, Hawk HPS pads, RNS-E, Bluetooth, 19" BBS CH(Black)

Quote Originally Posted by stubro View Post
    Praying it is minor
    It's not.
    Sorry.

So options? Going to the mechanic on Monday. Rebuild? Options? Cost? Thanks
    RS6 2003 Mugello , silver, carbon, Revo, KW3s, Hotchkis sway bars, Custom exhaust, Hawk HPS pads, RNS-E, Bluetooth, 19" BBS CH(Black)

Quote Originally Posted by stubro View Post
    So options? Going to the mechanic on Monday. Rebuild? Options? Cost? Thanks
    I'd recommend manual swap if you like driving stick. Total will be around 8-10k, I believe.
    Don't know much about AT rebuild costs & options, so hope others will chime in.

Looks like tq converter is on it's way out. Trying doing a transmission service and hope for the best.

Just curious, was your son beating on it?
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Yep. Been through this twice. $7-10k depending on trans rebuild and other updated fixed parts. Look into Jason at AMD in Seattle. You'll need a very good local Indy, or just ship the car to him.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

$3-5k for the trans rebuild, $2-3k labor, $1-2k random stuff and fluids

Edit: even if it's just the TC, labor and time getting in there plus all the miles on your current trans suggest beefed up new trans is worth it, and TC rebuilt which is only $400.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Yep, it's an engine out repair. Not necessary, but the dealer will do it that way, because, they can...
    2013 Audi S8

Well it is at the dealer for now getting checked out. So sounds like he said when it shifted up to 5th is got stuck there and wouldnt come down even in manual. I drove it to the dealer and shifted it 1-4 and back no issues other than a bit more abrupt down shift which I assume is the TC. I stayed out of 5th. I agree if we do the TC we will do the full trany. I am selling my custom Defender so I might get a RS7 from them for me so we will see what they quote me. I think it was Mike that asked if he was beating on it when it happened...the answer is no. It happened under normal highway driving. AMD sounds great but shipping from Tampa to Seattle might be too much. I wonder if USP can do it if the dealer is too much. The did a lot of the work on my car before. I will call them.

Thanks for all the advice keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    $3-5k for the trans rebuild, $2-3k labor, $1-2k random stuff and fluids

Edit: even if it's just the TC, labor and time getting in there plus all the miles on your current trans suggest beefed up new trans is worth it, and TC rebuilt which is only $400.
    When you say "beefed up new" are you saying after the rebuild or buy something new? My plan would be to rebuild it if it has to come out since I will let my son drive it for a few more years. Still cheaper than buying him a new car. Wifey doesnt like it but still a great car. Is there a better TC or Trany option? Thanks again for all the info.

OK so here is the deal. The dealer looked at it and it does need a new tranny. They actually found one in stock in NA ($5500 for the part) and then the labor to put it in and do some other stuff ~$12K. I am trying to get the price down but in the end it is cheaper to fix this car and let my son drive it then to buy a new car. I put $12K in the engine at USP 2 years ago, small fender bender put $24K in insurance money for front end fix and some engine parts, and now $12K. I could have bought an RS7.

Sounds about right for the new OE trans, and you get a warranty which is nice. You're paying a few $k extra going through the dealer, but at least they will fix it if the trans fails soon or is bad. My rebuilt from Tozo was $3500, others may be spendier but can have more beefed up parts ie clutch packs, input shaft, gears. TC rebuild is standard among all builders really, unless you want custom stall speed. You probably don't have a bad TC from the factory in 2003 or your trans would have blown long ago, but it might not hurt to update for $500 now.

Read the to do list on my website. At least make sure the Bufkin oil cooler pipe is done, and you should really do cam adjust pads as they are set to explode any day if still stock.

I assume the car is tuned, with the custom exhaust mentioned in your sig. Even with a new trans, a tuned car will break the trans if you drive it hard enough.

Thanks the website is great! As a lifelong RS6 owner it is great to see the site. I did have the engine fully done about 2 years ago but good to look for things while it is out. I cant believe there was a stock trany available in Canada.

Cool, glad to hear it. Congrats on being a lifelong owner! I couldn't buy when they came out but have really enjoyed my car the last 7 years.

Even with a big cost for the new trans, just figure it will last another 100k, if not hammered on. People say how can you spend $10k on a car worth $15-20k...well that $10k will keep the car on the road another 10-15 years and the enjoyment that comes with it. Makes sense to me at least...

Good luck, and I hope the dealer gets the work done right. Would be tempting to refresh the turbos while in there, that's the other big engine out issue. I did mine at 90k, and they can go 200k sometimes, but you never know.

Hey, Stubro!

Sorry to hear about the failing trans. That's a bummer. Only reason I'm jumping in your thread is twofold:
    1) I live in Orlando! Howdy RS neighbor!
    2) I have recently made friends with my (probably) new mechanic. He spent 10+ years at Audi, and was the guy that got most of the RS's. (according to him, he was the only one dumb enough to work on them!). He does work on the side, and is getting his lift installed at home tomorrow. If you are going the stock route, I can get you a deal on the trans (probably - friends in Audi Parts dept up here), and he can install it, and if Audi's parts warranty is anything like Porsche, the warranty is not voided by installing the parts yourself. (That may have been different, because I was at a Porsche shop at the time, but as long as you didn't install it improperly, the warranty was still valid).

If I can help, don't hesitate to reach out!
    -Brad

Brad thanks and nice to meet you. I am already down the line with the dealer on this so maybe for other work. I normally get work done at the dealer or USP in Coral Springs. I will keep your guy in mind. Finding RS6 mechanics is hard.

Car is coming back together after 3 weeks in the shop. They noticed a oil leak on the lower valley pan gasket. Fun fun.