Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New RS6 Owner with a few questions for the more experienced.

Wheel Shimmy - warped front rotors or unbalanced wheels, maybe Control arms? Bad engine mounts as well but may not cause a shimmy
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

cmnair: thanks. I don't think it's braking related because it does it on light acceleration as well. I'm leaning towards control arms, but I'll verify before buying. It would make sense, just based on age and rubber degradation. I thought these motor mounts were electric and would throw a fault code when bad, no? If so, I know the car had no codes of significance when I first got it 3 weeks ago.

Thanks!

True... motor mounts would throw a code. Hopefully not drive shaft.... that would cause whole car to shimmy though
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Quote Originally Posted by JettaGLi16v View Post
    Can anyone confirm if I need to do anything special before lifting this car with DRC? I know some of the airbag VAG cars must be put in "Lift mode" before lifting them to avoid damage to the airbags.
    System is purely mechanical, so nothing special there.

Re: The slight shimmy in the front end, is there anything else I should look at that would be a likely culprit?
    Front driveshafts (namely, inner tripods).

nubcake: Thanks for confirmation about lifting the car. I'll start with checking the front arms, and if they all look good, can you describe what I am looking for in the front axles? I assume just slop in the CV joint?

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    papadoc, I found the Hellas and they are packed. Should make it to fedex next week
    Off topic a bit, but great to hear. Many thanks.

And nice look on the SQ5!
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

papadoc: It's not that off topic, I'm waiting on these to be delivered from Cyprus

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-A6-C5-...72.m2749.l2649

WOW! That was awesome! I got my first kill in the black beast, 10 minutes ago!

I was getting ready to hang a u-turn, when I hear 2 loud v8 cars punching it going under a bridge onto a 3 lane road. So, of course, I jump in behind! It's a newer Mustang Boss 302, leading a Dodge Charger (didn't see if SRT or no), and a polaris 3 wheeler (far right lane) all getting on it. They ran up to 80 or so, and I'm reeling them in the whole time,. and go between them. The green mustang and I hit the next stop light (charger behind the mustang), and we all have our windows down. So I say to the mustang "How hard are we getting on it? 70%, 80%?", and the driver says 100%. OK, so I move the lever from D to S, and wait for the light. As soon as the light turns green, I put my foot down, and just start pulling on them. I had 4-5 car lengths by 80mph, and ran to 90-95. We hit the next light, and of course they were curious, so I enlightened them as to what's under the hood.

These cars are pretty freakin cool!
    (But you all already knew that... forgive me, I'm just super excited right now.)

Hehe

get me those data logs. You may already have a tune.

Even non car people get it sometimes. I was unloading the RS6 at the RV park in Colorado and the owner stopped over to see the car. First question "what is under the hood" because he heard the cold start and realized this was not a normal vehicle. Second question "what year is it" 2003 and his jaw dropped. Third statement "I bet this car is fast" yep, I could probably set the cruise at 200 mph. Lol

DHall1: I'm on it. hopefully tomorrow. 3, 31, and 115, correct? Thanks!

Yes

in turbo mode

do a ecu adaptation reset via battery cable or key foot method then perform test in 3rd 2500 to redline

2nd is ok if you don't have the runway

papadoc: It's not that off topic, I'm waiting on these to be delivered from Cyprus
    Ah, sweet! Don't know how in the world you found these, but please post a pic once installed.
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

papadoc: as requested! I wasn't sure if I would like them, but I totally love them! I was a bit worried that they might not be bright enough, but they are pretty much exactly as bright as my stock ones. I should have known better, I've had aftermarket Hella lights before.

https://imgur.com/a/y376q9v

I also want to get some smoked side markers, but those seem easy to find.

Does Anyone know where to source a european tag surround? I would like to get one of those, and put my matching euro plate in the back as well.

Thanks!
    -Brad

Hoping for the same look soon...

Boxed and ready to go out on monday

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0500.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	18589

WooHoo! Thanks to Travish325, I have an 034 chipped TCU to install tomorrow!

Dhall1: I've searched and searched, but then you say ECU Adaptation reset via the foot - key method, can you explain? I'll be taking it to a shop that has a VagCom, so they can do a reset as well via that, correct?

A few further questions, if you guys don't mind:

-I'm looking for a rear euro tag surround. Any sources? All the old links seem to have dried up. AliExpress has a new one for $100. Is it cheap crap?

-The previous owner had been doing oil changes every 5k, probably because that's what they put on the little sticker they put in your windshield. Is 10k generally considered OK? I know in my M96 3.4l Boxster (which has exploding engine tendencies) that it was generally accepted that the factory interval was optimistic, and recommended to do every 5k.

10k if you're using a top tier oil

7500 is ok as well.

My BND went all the way to 10k and still tested perfect at Blackstone.

My RS6s no longer see daily miles so I will never see 10k intervals again.

Remove neg battery cable. Walk around the block. Hook it up again

Ymmv

5K will hurt nothing, but your wallet. If you can afford that, do it.
    10k is a bit too long for high-heat, high-output engine.