Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic coatings - 9h - hydrophobic etc - opinions??????

Ceramic coatings - 9h - hydrophobic etc - opinions??????

I'm just curious what your guys takes are on these new ceramic coatings that have 9h and 10 H hardness and this that and the other thing and they last for one year or three years or for a lifetime and the only way to take it off is basically a chemical wash with your vehicle and then you have to machine buff it off
    ideas? Opinions? Recommendations???

My opinion is that they're mostly hype. They all say "9H" harness, but does anyone know what that actually means? Or is there any accepted test to determine a paint coating hardness? Is hardness even a good characteristic for a paint protection?

I did a decent amount of reading and research and came to the conclusion that none of the fancy coatings will last more than a year or 2 tops. A decent wax applied 2x per year is probably better for 1/10 the cost.

I have the Ceramic Pro on my M5 and I'll tell you the bugs wash right off and the car comes clean at a touchless car wash on economy setting.

I am not sure how long they last but mine has a 5 year warrantee. Not having to wax the car is a nice bonus. I am not sure if I would have paid the $2200 but it was a no charge item on my purchase. The car finished has more depth with it. I am not a fan of the plastic wraps after watching the plastic film on the rear fenders of the RS6 become abraided with time. They now offer "seamless" wraps and thats a big improvement but a whole car wrap was quoted at $6500.00. My dad is looking into that in the Boston area.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

I just had my S8 cermaic coated. Guy came to my house for a full detail and ceramic coat for $450. Couldn't NOT do it... Looks like a brand new car. Most people guarantee 2-4yrs on a coating. It sits in a garage when I'm not in it, so it will likely last 4-5 years...washing is effortless now...I will do my truck next and every car I own from here on out...#screwwaxing
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I just had my S8 cermaic coated. Guy came to my house for a full detail and ceramic coat for $450. Couldn't NOT do it... Looks like a brand new car. Most people guarantee 2-4yrs on a coating. It sits in a garage when I'm not in it, so it will likely last 4-5 years...washing is effortless now...I will do my truck next and every car I own from here on out...#screwwaxing
    BINGO...

Mike
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Do you remember the name of the specific product used such as chemical guys or whatsoever ? Because if you're saying it looks that good I am interested but I'm an old-fashioned kind of OCD detailer so I like my tri step process Maguires polish the gold version the good stuff, one coat of gold class Maguires pure carnuba and one coat of Zymol

But i'm crazy so I do it like at least once a month I mean twice normally but at least once I even have horse hair brushes for the interior along with all sorts of these accoutrements to get into little crevices I might ceramic coat The carbon fiber in the interior ? We'll see after the diffuser and the front lip goes on 😉

The only problem I have is it is permanent even after five years or two years you have to use a highly abrasive cutting compound to buff the whole vehicle out to take it off basically that's what I read in to it if it's that good I'm curious about the reapplication of the product how that works but not too many people know about that because it's so new so there is the conundrum The reapplication of the product after a few years or a year let's say is that possible? Different people say different things and answers are hard to get because a lot of people just want to sell product so I'm sure you understand

I thin k he used Opti-Coat...Google it. I did watch him and I saw him drop like 3 drops on an applicator and cover nearly the whole hood...But it sounds like you should just wax and detail your car every 2 weeks like you want to...
    2013 Audi S8

That's - funny what you said it sounds like I should just wax and detail my car every two weeks - lol, no but seriously my question is about reapplication after a year or two you know I mean it's a serious question , or does the entire car have to be you know compound (polished off) it down and then start fresh from beginning ? That's all I looks amazing and especially rims with brake dust ! - literally just rinses off - pffffff i'll take that every day of the week instead of busting my knuckles with a brush and cutting my hands are trying to clean the rims etc - and spending four hours on detailing

Based on your posts, it just sounded like you enjoy the task of detailing your own car...and more power to you..I"m old now, I like driving them, not cleaning them...I have no idea what to do when "it's time" to revisit the ceramic coating. Whatever needs to be done, I'll do it...at the end of the day, it kept me from waxing for 4 or 5 years...
    2013 Audi S8

I'll tell you what though it's a hell of a workout ! I'm 39 and it sure affects me , I have rods / reconstructed lower body 2 times - 4 bone grafts and need a new knee at 39 - 50 surgeries total ! So trust ! I understand lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ebtahi98 View Post
    I'll tell you what though it's a hell of a workout ! I'm 39 and it sure affects me , I have rods / reconstructed lower body 2 times - 4 bone grafts and need a new knee at 39 - 50 surgeries total ! So trust ! I understand lol
    Hey, Ebtahi98, any word on the S8 mods????

Mike

Yeah..I installed my downpipes yest...oh wait...not me...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Yeah..I installed my downpipes yest...oh wait...not me...
    LMAO!!!!!!!

You are OLD......everyone installs their own downpipes. I was just out in my garage putting in new downpipes in my Q7 and M5. We had to stop with the civic, because, it's not a turbo. LOL. Wait, I put new downpipe in my supercharged Q7. shoot that's not right.

Mike

Yes...old. And cheap...

Do they look like this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180628_143239293 (2).jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	18578
    2013 Audi S8

Were those changed without pulling the engine out????

Nice and shiny!

Mike

Yep, car in garage, front end on ramps. Little low for my liking, but got the job done...
    2013 Audi S8