Thread: Audi quattro Driving Experience. Idre, Sweden. 2004

Post Audi quattro Driving Experience. Idre, Sweden. 2004

This weekend I attended the Audi quattro Driving Experience, Stage 2.

About 500 km north west of Stockholm lies Idre. A nice place for skiing, fresh air etc. and since a few years the place for the winter training of Audi.

After a long drive up from Stockholm we arrived at Idre and started the evening with a tour on snowmobiles.
    We stayed at the brand new Pernilla Wiberg Hotel. Apparently the ski queen of Sweden needed a hotel to store all the prizes she won...
    After the tour we had a short lesson in how a car behaves (remember, this is stage 2 we're supposed to know most of the stuff needed ), something like Car Physics 101. After that we had an excellent dinner, a few beers and a good night's sleep.
    Up early in the morning for breakfast and transportation down to the frozen lake that would serve as our training ground.
    The weather was really nice, a few degrees below zero (C), no wind and sunshine.
    We picked up our cars for the day. Audi 1.8T Avant quattro (manual) in either 163 or 190 hp versions. The cars were on studded Michelin winter tires. We split into two groups and started practicing two different excersises to get us some feeling of the ice and the car. It was extremly slippery! To give you an idea how slippey I can tell you it was hard ot even walk on the ice and 20 km/h was sufficient to get the car skidding. Of course we drive without the help of ESP.
    After the basic training the short track (3 km long) was opened for free driving. The real fun could begin!
    In total there were about 10 cars so there was never a crowd on the track, we tried to keep about 300 m space in between the cars. If anyone got stuck we passed real slow.
    There was a lot of time one hand to perfection one's rally skills. I think we drove sideways most of the time, mainly on second gear controling the drift of the car with the accelerator!
    It took us about 3 minutes to drive the short track. Fun is not a straight line!
    We stopped for lunch and after that the long track (~5.5 km) was opened. To finish a lap without mistakes was very hard! The problem was that the snow surrounding the track was quite hard so once you got stuck it was very difficult to get free. The car would lift and stay above the snow. Very different from last year when the snow was much softer.
    The biggest challenge was to stay in the area were most car drove, since grip was a lot better there. If you drove too fast you would find yourself in the most slippery section very soon.
    To perfection our skills we took one of the instructors in the car who told us what line to pick. It wasn't as fun to drive, but speed and track time was improved. It also helped a lot to drive on 3:rd gear, it made the driving a lot less nervous.
    I finished the long track in about 6 minutes, and so did my friend.

I could easily have driven more, but all good things come to an end.
    However, as usual Audi added a little spice with the arrival of an RS6.

Straight from Germany it arrived around lunch on Pirelli P Zero 18" summer tires. :eye: During our fun on the afternoon ice someone had the sense to put on the best winter tires around.
    They can best be described as super-studded rally P Zeros.
    I think they are 145 mm x 18" and I did not count the spikes but the animal hedgehog comes into mind...

The amount of grip that these tires combined with quattro
    produces is astonishing. It simply is difficult for the brain to understand. Imagine a surface that you can barely walk on only to see a 2 tonne RS6 pass sideways (in control I might add) doing 90 km/h plus seconds after...

Going sideways!

Yes, I admit. I had to call on help as well...

The Beast arrives...

Take a good look at the best winter tires around...

RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Excellent report and pictures Erik!

I assume this is the "Stage 2" that you can go onto after doing the initial driving experience? I've got my day at Silverstone booked for March 24th, so hopefully I'll be able to go on the ice driving and Nordschliefe 'experiences' as well after that.
    +=====================================+
    ChrisB aka TheBrit, as named by Clout & SantorinSteve over on AW.

Now
    +-------
    Daytona Grey C6 RS 6 Avant
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Lava Grey C6 allroad 3.0 TDI
    Daytona Grey D3 S8 (twice)
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Ebony Black C5 allroad 2.5 TDI Tip Limited Edition
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Silver C5 A6 Avant 2.7T Sport
    Volcano Black B5 A4 2.8 qm Sport

Thanks for the recap of your quattro experience. Looks like lots of fun!

Ahhhh, to play in the snow. Looks like a hell of a lot of fun. Hey, it wouldn't be a driving Experience without getting stuck, way to push the limits. That's how we learn. Thanx for sharing w/ us.

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead

Thanks, Erik. Sounds like fun. You ought to post it as an article on the main web page.

Finnus

2001 S4 Silver Triptonik
    2003 RS 6 Muguello Blue

Originally posted by Finnus
    Thanks, Erik. Sounds like fun. You ought to post it as an article on the main web page.
    Thanks! The best pictures are still in the camera...

Pictures developed, mission almost completed

Look here:
    http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread....&threadid=3604

I can't believe I missed this thread!

It looks like serious fun out there!

Was anyone allowed to try the Rs6 with summer tyres on the ice before changing to the P Zero Hedgehoggies, just to see the improved difference with the spiked tyres on?

Good Sport for taking up the chanllenge Erik!

Klint, with summer tires one wouldn't last long...

Would the summer tires even work... would you get any grip at all?

Originally posted by EBMCS03
    Would the summer tires even work... would you get any grip at all?
    Well...NO, not really.

quattro would still let you accelerate as long as the 4 wheels are going the same way. After that it would get very exciting.

Excellent Erik!

Hoping to do this myself later this year or early next!
    Alan
    RS6 Avant
    Golf R32
    Ultima CanAm ([url]http://www.pbase.com/algape/ultima[/url])

Anyone going this year?