Thread: Nubcake 6 speed tune review

Nubcake 6 speed tune review

Just wanted to put it out there about my newly acquired Nubcake tune.

The tune has has transformed my car. It is smooth and powerful but more importantly it is a pleasure to drive on a daily basis. The tune and Nubcakes suggestion to wire in a clutch switch has made it like driving another car. The jerkiness is gone. Rev matching down shifts are easier. Clutch pickup is better. And it’s even easier to get into 1st gear while stopped. I think it’s strange that I have never heard it mentioned in any RS6 6 speed conversion, any forum or anywhere else. It makes the car drive like it is from the factory. It’s a much more pleasant to daily drive. Furthermore, the patience and instruction for getting logging software, flashing software and issues with the car sorted means that Nubcake probably made about a dollar per email I sent him. I suck at the computer. Also, most of my many emails were answered in minutes. On a scale of 1 to 10 I’d give it a 14. Thanks

Sounds great for sure. But just for comparison, what tune was on it before?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Thanks for the feedback.
    Have tons of fun with the car!

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Sounds great for sure. But just for comparison, what tune was on it before?
    It was from the guy that did the AMD tune—Dmitri (from PRJ Tuning I think) . That was a good tune this is just better in my opinion. The smoothness of it is the biggest difference. Getting rid of the jerkiness made it like a new car.

Good to know, I guess that finalizes my decision.

Nubcake - what does the process look like to get your tune on my ECU and what tools are needed on my end?

I'm not quite ready to pull out my perfectly good tip just yet, but probably will be over the winter. I'd just like to get everything lined up before then.

Flashing itself can be accomplished:

1) via generic FTDI cable (or ross-tech VCDS in "dumb" mode) and nefmoto flasher (need reg to see pics in the guide).
    2) via Chinese MPPS. Works just fine and costs very little. Can also recover "bricked" ECU if something goes wrong.

Then we will need any "generic" OBD2-USB cable for logging. #1 from above will work.

The usual process is - I ask a lot of qustions about the car, prepare a "base file", we get it flashed, run a baseline log to verify that everything is working as it should, then bring the power up. Takes approx 3-5 "flash-log" iterations to get it finalized with otherwise stock(ish) car. If any issues are found here (or going big turbos), it'll be a bit longer.
    Feel free to PM me with any further questions.

It has been brought to my attention by someone that my post could be read as saying the previous tune was not good and that much of the improvement is related to the clutch switch being wired in now.

To the first part, that was not my intention and the tune was good. Unfortunately somewhere between the tuner and the shop that flashed it the clutch switch never came up even while dyno tuning. I'm assuming there were logs done but who knows. I'm not sure why. The tune itself was fine. To the second part, fair enough. I do believe the clutch switch made a huge difference.

But i would further expound on my favorable review of Nubcake as he noticed the clutch switch issue with the first log, told me what to do about it and it got resolved. Also, this tune is binary so, now that I paid for it I can put another tune on and still reflash this back at a later point. I know most tunes are locked for good reason. But I like the fact that this one is not.

Anyway, there was no intent to say the original tune was not goo--I posted "That was a good tune"--it's just that the overall experience, the support and the fact that my car runs so much better now made me feel I should give Nubcake his props.