Thread: How difficult is it to replace Front Driveshaft Assemblies?

Mech How difficult is it to replace Front Driveshaft Assemblies?

By looking at the parts, it seems fairly straightforward. Is it?

Thanks!!
    If you never exceed the limits, how do you know where they are?

I watched my mechanic do it three times, pretty straight forward, impact drill helps a lot.

Just take down the bolts on the flange holding the shaft against the transmission.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Don't mean to threadjack but ran across two Greenwood (?) Green RS6s for sale recently. Assumed one was yours. Really didn't think there was more than one.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    I watched my mechanic do it three times, pretty straight forward, impact drill helps a lot.

Just take down the bolts on the flange holding the shaft against the transmission.

Mike
    The axle bolt is really f___in tight! I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q8A98M

and it's fantastic, but even with that much power, it still took some time to break those bolts loose. It was also able to break loose the crank bolt which also ridiculously tight!

To break it by hand, you need a big bar and a way to lock the axle. You can put the wheel on and set it back on the ground to stop it from turning. Also, the bolts are one-time use stretch bolts, so they should be replaced every time they are loosened.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    The axle bolt is really f___in tight! I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q8A98M

and it's fantastic, but even with that much power, it still took some time to break those bolts loose. It was also able to break loose the crank bolt which also ridiculously tight!

To break it by hand, you need a big bar and a way to lock the axle. You can put the wheel on and set it back on the ground to stop it from turning. Also, the bolts are one-time use stretch bolts, so they should be replaced every time they are loosened.
    Pull the plastic cover off of the center of the wheel. Use your handle from your floor jack and slide it over the handle of a breaker bar. Hope the knuckle of the breaker bar doesn’t snap. I can’t remember if the CV axle articulates enough to pull it out without removing a tie rod end or control arm. Leverage is your friend.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how hard? 2

can you screw some major $hit up if you do it wrong? Yep

Dhall, you are so encouraging!

Mike
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    Pull the plastic cover off of the center of the wheel. Use your handle from your floor jack and slide it over the handle of a breaker bar. Hope the knuckle of the breaker bar doesn’t snap. I can’t remember if the CV axle articulates enough to pull it out without removing a tie rod end or control arm. Leverage is your friend.
    Yep this is how I replaced my drivers front axle on my Tacoma (same premise of front axle removal).
    The nut was a 35MM.
    We had the front of vehicle on jack stands.
    With the floor jack handle added to the breaker bar, we added an extension between the 35MM socket and breaker bar and rested it on another jack stand at the same height as the axle nut.
    This gave us leverage on removal and retighting at 165 ft/lb torque and you aren't fighting to keep the breaker bar up and away from the fenders.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Thanks guys. Maybe it's not quite as straightforward as I had hoped. But it does sound like anyone familiar with Audis could handle it - That is doesn't need an RS6 tech, just an Audi tech. Correct? What kind of time estimate would you give it for each side? I appreciate all your help!
    If you never exceed the limits, how do you know where they are?

Yes any Audi tech

1.5hrs both sides

it will take them 30minutes if they have all ten fingers

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Yes any Audi tech

1.5hrs both sides

it will take them 30minutes if they have all ten fingers
    LOL....made my day...

Mike