Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering buying 2013 S8, knowledge and opinions please

Hybrid View

Seriously considering buying 2013 S8, knowledge and opinions please

This is technically an S8 forum too no? Even though I, like seemingly most here, are here for our beloved and infamous, loved and sometimes hated RS6s. Friend is selling his 2013 S8, its really nice, Daytona gray with what he says is "silver" interior, diamond stitched all Gucci looking - I typically prefer dark interiors but light makes look roomier, carbon trim - I think all S8s had that. He daily drove it except salty weather, it has 45k mi.s. It has a $10k set of tasteful and Audi-ish looking 22" 3 pce. ADV1 wheels on it and has stock set. It has a miltek cat back, I think all else stock. 1 yr. of warranty left and all dealer serviced with records. Its super clean inside and out except one headlamp has bad 1" gouge in it I know could not be sanded/polished out. Interior looks new, bolsters and all. Has the $6k option B&O stereo but not moveable rear seat option. I can get it for a very fair wholesale-ish / dealer trade in type price, and I do know how to accurately verify that range.

I know a fair amount about and keep up with a lot of cars / car releases etc., but I know far from all about all cars, and I was surprised to learn it is not a double clutch trans. Its 8 speed. I'm not totally averse to viscous autos and have some auto AMGs I love, but I am kinda RS6 tranny gun-shy. S8 is ZF box too, and I've had many ZF gearbox cars but mostly Porsches and all sticks or double clutches. Granted I know ZF is one of, if not the, largest OEM gearbox makers on the planet and surely all their viscous autos aren't a whimper away from implosion. Anyone know much about these cars, trans, any other known issues, things to look out for? Will it take a tune without fear of death? Its fast as is, real fast, and smooth. I'm already playing my usual internal head games about it.... i.e. could get a comparable S63 for about $10k more. But I'm not even sure I'd rather have S63 and I like buying cars I know from people I know (usually) and it just seems rare cool and I think I like it.

Any opinions, knowledge, commentary is much appreciated..... positive or negative..... constructive or flippant.... I don't care.

Buy the S8! The trans is good as gold even with a tune

the only reason I haven't bought an S8 is price. They hold their value better than AMGs. Lol.

I agree with knowing where the car came from. Buy it or send me the info and I'll buy it. The MMR on 13s are getting to my sweet spot.

Yeah...just do it and be done with it...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Yeah...just do it and be done with it...
    Enjoying yours? I might be considering one too.

Yep...never looking back...RS6 can hug my nuts...no offense...
    2013 Audi S8

For sure buy it, they are getting real cheap now. Use it as the daily and then at weekends and special occasions get the RS out and treat yourself.
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

Buy it.

The trans is great - just like in the RS7, it’s the only trans Audi offers that can handle the torque of the S8’s 520hp TT V-8.

It’s a mid- to high 11-second car stock, and 10s are only a tune away. The only thing I don’t like about them is that the rear seat doesn’t fold down, a feature I’d really miss... YMMV.

The ZF 8HP is solid, and everywhere https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP...n#Applications

The exclusivity that Audi used to offer with RS models has been quashed with their latest platforms. The same engine is available in the S and the RS which I personally think is sacrilegious. There should be some elite aspect to paying for the RS to which no other models have.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    The exclusivity that Audi used to offer with RS models has been quashed with their latest platforms. The same engine is available in the S and the RS which I personally think is sacrilegious. There should be some elite aspect to paying for the RS to which no other models have.
    Well as a former Audi USA employee I can tell you that you're 100 % wrong thinking that.

The RS6/7 v8's are classified internally as "Heavy Motor" class. I can't elaborate too much other than a different crank and there's a whole lot more forged internals than the S6/7 lumps. What you pay for in an RS-R8 car is that its made at our Neckarsulm Quattro GMBh plant and there's far less robotics involved during assembly. These cars are loved by lots of Hans,Franz and Gertrude's .
    2016 Porsche GT4- 918 buckets- Track Toy
    2014 Porche Cayenne S- Sport Chrono-Sport exhaust- 2015 E63 S AMG- Ténorise Gray-Black Nappa-

Quote Originally Posted by RS2racer View Post
    Well as a former Audi USA employee I can tell you that you're 100 % wrong thinking that.

The RS6/7 v8's are classified internally as "Heavy Motor" class. I can't elaborate too much other than a different crank and there's a whole lot more forged internals than the S6/7 lumps. What you pay for in an RS-R8 car is that its made at our Neckarsulm Quattro GMBh plant and there's far less robotics involved during assembly. These cars are loved by lots of Hans,Franz and Gertrude's .
    Well as a consumer I feel it's a more than hidden unknown internals and the factory it's made in. What matters to me is the fact that the car is visibly different, and noticeably better performing from the lower model. You can't tell me that Audi's approach to putting as much or equal amount of power in to the S6 as that of the RS6/RS7 fulfills that. The C5 and C6 chassis had noticeable differences in drivetrain performance and noticeable differences in engine power levels. There used to be an easy to market delta between a N/A 4.2/5.2 engine and that of a TT 4.2/5.2. Now you get near the same result from an S6 with a tune as an RS6 from a tune which for me as a consumer defeats the purpose of purchasing the more exclusive model.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Well as a consumer I feel it's a more than hidden unknown internals and the factory it's made in. What matters to me is the fact that the car is visibly different, and noticeably better performing from the lower model. You can't tell me that Audi's approach to putting as much or equal amount of power in to the S6 as that of the RS6/RS7 fulfills that. The C5 and C6 chassis had noticeable differences in drivetrain performance and noticeable differences in engine power levels. There used to be an easy to market delta between a N/A 4.2/5.2 engine and that of a TT 4.2/5.2. Now you get near the same result from an S6 with a tune as an RS6 from a tune which for me as a consumer defeats the purpose of purchasing the more exclusive model.
    We're enthusiasts. We'll always have a mega checklist of must-haves. It's something you have to deal with being a second-class consumer. Until you, me and many more like-minded individuals are capable/willing to drop the coin on a brand new flagship model we have little room to demand. Otherwise, we'd be surrounded by the V8TT/V10 manual trans wagons many of us so desire. For now, I'm content picking at the scraps of those more fortunate when they become obtainable a decade later. Except the RS7, that sportback styling will never grow on me. The S8, however, mmmm yeah...
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

...Now you get near the same result from an S6 with a tune as an RS6 from a tune which for me as a consumer defeats the purpose of purchasing the more exclusive model.
    You seem to be forgetting the 10 years that passed between the C5 RS6 and C7 S6... The standard of performance has moved on, which is "progress" in most people's books. That's why a C7 RS6 or RS7 is SO much quicker/faster than the C5 - that's progress.

RS6s/RS7s with tunes run mid 10s, while S6s with tunes run mid-11s, so the performance gap between them remains - "...same as it ever was". (/Talking Heads)

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    You seem to be forgetting the 10 years that passed between the C5 RS6 and C7 S6...
    Well that's an insult. I wasn't forgetting whatsoever. High 10 vs. a mid 11 is a lot closer than high 11 vs. a mid 14. Clearly progress has been getting times faster and faster - it's just not as wide a spread which IN MY OPINION doesn't warrant the exclusivity and $$$ being demanded. I think what's fair to say is that because we can't get the newer C6 & C7 models in North America that we are fine with the S6 and the fugly RS7 models that are accessible.

I don't know if I agree with that assessment. Really the RS6 had been the only model with an exclusive engine combination until recently. All others have been a tweaked version of the A/S model offering (exception with the B8 S4/RS4, TT/TTRS, S3/RS3). But otherwise agree RS models should always set themselves apart from the rest of the line-up which I think they accomplish in other ways.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

The S8 is a very nice car but it's no RS. It's nice to get the odd glance or acknowledgement from another car guy who knows/ respects what the RS is about. It's kinda like having an M5 Beemer and then a 5 series with the M5 styling package.
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition

Quote Originally Posted by fukinavit View Post
    The S8 is a very nice car but it's no RS. It's nice to get the odd glance or acknowledgement from another car guy who knows/ respects what the RS is about. It's kinda like having an M5 Beemer and then a 5 series with the M5 styling package.
    Right, but the 5 series doesn't come with the M motor.... That's the point I'm making with the RS vs S models. They should have different motor options. That is what sets it apart from the rest.

Right, but the 5 series doesn't come with the M motor.... That's the point I'm making with the RS vs S models. They should have different motor options. That is what sets it apart from the rest.

Exactly, kinda where I was going. The RS is unique.