Thread: Seriously considering buying 2013 S8, knowledge and opinions please

Hybrid View

The exclusivity that Audi used to offer with RS models has been quashed with their latest platforms. The same engine is available in the S and the RS which I personally think is sacrilegious. There should be some elite aspect to paying for the RS to which no other models have.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    The exclusivity that Audi used to offer with RS models has been quashed with their latest platforms. The same engine is available in the S and the RS which I personally think is sacrilegious. There should be some elite aspect to paying for the RS to which no other models have.
    Well as a former Audi USA employee I can tell you that you're 100 % wrong thinking that.

The RS6/7 v8's are classified internally as "Heavy Motor" class. I can't elaborate too much other than a different crank and there's a whole lot more forged internals than the S6/7 lumps. What you pay for in an RS-R8 car is that its made at our Neckarsulm Quattro GMBh plant and there's far less robotics involved during assembly. These cars are loved by lots of Hans,Franz and Gertrude's .
    2016 Porsche GT4- 918 buckets- Track Toy
    2014 Porche Cayenne S- Sport Chrono-Sport exhaust- 2015 E63 S AMG- Ténorise Gray-Black Nappa-

Quote Originally Posted by RS2racer View Post
    Well as a former Audi USA employee I can tell you that you're 100 % wrong thinking that.

The RS6/7 v8's are classified internally as "Heavy Motor" class. I can't elaborate too much other than a different crank and there's a whole lot more forged internals than the S6/7 lumps. What you pay for in an RS-R8 car is that its made at our Neckarsulm Quattro GMBh plant and there's far less robotics involved during assembly. These cars are loved by lots of Hans,Franz and Gertrude's .
    Well as a consumer I feel it's a more than hidden unknown internals and the factory it's made in. What matters to me is the fact that the car is visibly different, and noticeably better performing from the lower model. You can't tell me that Audi's approach to putting as much or equal amount of power in to the S6 as that of the RS6/RS7 fulfills that. The C5 and C6 chassis had noticeable differences in drivetrain performance and noticeable differences in engine power levels. There used to be an easy to market delta between a N/A 4.2/5.2 engine and that of a TT 4.2/5.2. Now you get near the same result from an S6 with a tune as an RS6 from a tune which for me as a consumer defeats the purpose of purchasing the more exclusive model.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Well as a consumer I feel it's a more than hidden unknown internals and the factory it's made in. What matters to me is the fact that the car is visibly different, and noticeably better performing from the lower model. You can't tell me that Audi's approach to putting as much or equal amount of power in to the S6 as that of the RS6/RS7 fulfills that. The C5 and C6 chassis had noticeable differences in drivetrain performance and noticeable differences in engine power levels. There used to be an easy to market delta between a N/A 4.2/5.2 engine and that of a TT 4.2/5.2. Now you get near the same result from an S6 with a tune as an RS6 from a tune which for me as a consumer defeats the purpose of purchasing the more exclusive model.
    We're enthusiasts. We'll always have a mega checklist of must-haves. It's something you have to deal with being a second-class consumer. Until you, me and many more like-minded individuals are capable/willing to drop the coin on a brand new flagship model we have little room to demand. Otherwise, we'd be surrounded by the V8TT/V10 manual trans wagons many of us so desire. For now, I'm content picking at the scraps of those more fortunate when they become obtainable a decade later. Except the RS7, that sportback styling will never grow on me. The S8, however, mmmm yeah...
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

...Now you get near the same result from an S6 with a tune as an RS6 from a tune which for me as a consumer defeats the purpose of purchasing the more exclusive model.
    You seem to be forgetting the 10 years that passed between the C5 RS6 and C7 S6... The standard of performance has moved on, which is "progress" in most people's books. That's why a C7 RS6 or RS7 is SO much quicker/faster than the C5 - that's progress.

RS6s/RS7s with tunes run mid 10s, while S6s with tunes run mid-11s, so the performance gap between them remains - "...same as it ever was". (/Talking Heads)

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    You seem to be forgetting the 10 years that passed between the C5 RS6 and C7 S6...
    Well that's an insult. I wasn't forgetting whatsoever. High 10 vs. a mid 11 is a lot closer than high 11 vs. a mid 14. Clearly progress has been getting times faster and faster - it's just not as wide a spread which IN MY OPINION doesn't warrant the exclusivity and $$$ being demanded. I think what's fair to say is that because we can't get the newer C6 & C7 models in North America that we are fine with the S6 and the fugly RS7 models that are accessible.

Well that's an insult. I wasn't forgetting whatsoever. High 10 vs. a mid 11 is a lot closer than high 11 vs. a mid 14.
    You can try to manufacture an insult out of my comments if you like, but I can assure you that none was intended.

C5 RS6s run 12.7-13.1 stock according to ALL contemporary tests. C5 S6s ran 13.6-14 flat. So about 1-second difference.

C7 RS6/7s run about 11.5, and C7 S6s run about 12.2-12.5, again about a 1 second difference. Tuned, the gap remains about 1 second.

Add to that the "heavy motor" facts previously mentioned, plus DRC and IMO the RS6RS7s certainly set themselves apart.

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    You can try to manufacture an insult out of my comments if you like, but I can assure you that none was intended.

C5 RS6s run 12.7-13.1 stock according to ALL contemporary tests. C5 S6s ran 13.6-14 flat. So about 1-second difference.

C7 RS6/7s run about 11.5, and C7 S6s run about 12.2-12.5, again about a 1 second difference. Tuned, the gap remains about 1 second.

Add to that the "heavy motor" facts previously mentioned, plus DRC and IMO the RS6RS7s certainly set themselves apart.
    Clearly we aren't speaking the same language, or not understanding things correctly from either party. You cite there still being a 1 second gap which I just don't understand. Members on this forum are citing they are at, or near to getting their newer S6's breaking in to the high 10's. I have no recollection of anyone on this forum or the other forums running a second faster with high 9's in their RS7/6's. I do see many citing mid 10's for the newer C7 RS6/7's which is a half a second difference as I have it in my head.

As for the C5 S6's, there is no way a base line S6 is/was running 13.5 seconds. I have one. They are mid 14's - maybe lower when the planets align. Tuned, 'maybe eek out another 3/10's or even possibly a miraculous half a second faster max. A tuned C5 RS6 easily cracks 12's and is in high 11's with a few other odds and sods. This is what I have in my head as being a significant larger delta in the S to RS models than today's delta and prefaced my comments on the matter.
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; April 16th, 2018 at 22:31.