Thread: How do you properly determine if the transmission is shot? 03 rs6

How do you properly determine if the transmission is shot? 03 rs6

I ended up buying another 03 RS6 that recently went up for sale. This fits the bill of a project car more than my current one and I can have it non-running for however long i need.

Story goes: guys gets it from friend. Trans is shot so he buys a "good, low miles" used trans.
    Issues arise from the shop, he pulls the car out and works on it himself.
    Gets the car together again but still not working. He basically decided he's not taking it with him when he moves.
    Here's the issue:

1. No reverse
    2. Speedo does not work
    3. the center display on the gauge cluster does not work.
    4. looks like it goes into limp mode. When started you can drive forward slow or if you step on it, it would accelerate. sometimes it would stay in gear most time it would "disconnect the trans" and you cant accelerate UNLESS you turn off the car and start it.(then same thing would happen)
    5. stuck in first, it doesn't seem to shift up.

concern:
    1. I dont trust buying used trans, specially used auto trans. So I think its very possible that the guy sold him a bad trans.

2. Maybe his old trans was good and its something else thats broken? any common electronic or solenoid that goes out on this car? He mentioned he had the TCU repaired but it didn't do anything.

Upside. I do have my other RS6 that's fully functioning. While I don't prefer to do it this way(because of time), I do have an option to remove and try solenoid/sensor/tcu/etc to see if that's the culprit.
    Just wanting to see what are the common checks first/where to start since I bought it none running.

more importantly, I also wanted to know if the trans is shot before I start planning for a manual swap.

Thanks

First, check your VIN...if you in fact have a 2003 RS6, your transmission is shot...(or soon will be)...

Start. Swap.
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    First, check your VIN...if you in fact have a 2003 RS6, your transmission is shot...(or soon will be)...

Start. Swap.
    I don't understand this. Why do I need to check the vin? its an 03, paper work says 03, im also in the US so its unlikely that its not an 03.
    please elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6Goals View Post
    I don't understand this. Why do I need to check the vin? its an 03, paper work says 03, im also in the US so its unlikely that its not an 03.
    please elaborate.
    http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/25...ates-and-VIN-s

Clicky
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

VCDS, try talking to TCU.

Without knowing that everything was installed 100% correctly and/or knowing the exact condition of the "used" trans, I don't see how it's possible to determine if your trans is good or bad at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdave View Post
    Without knowing that everything was installed 100% correctly and/or knowing the exact condition of the "used" trans, I don't see how it's possible to determine if your trans is good or bad at this point.
    Yea I know that what makes this complicated to diagnose online. I wasnt sure if this would be like one of those common thing/symptoms.

I have just never ran into an auto issue where it would work then stop working and all it takes to reset was just turning it off.
    Usually, it's like dead/not working. or going out but not like its working every time you turn off the car.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    VCDS, try talking to TCU.
    Will do. My scanner gets her on Monday.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bethridg View Post
    I see thank, Ill check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post

Start. Swap.
    HA! NO!

I refuse to hear such a comment! HA! I say! HA!

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Is it shot? Yep
    is there something simple? Nope
    so much for buying a cheap used trans.
    Two people that know little have had this engine out? Priceless

please post the vins you have in the sticky.