Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Recommendations for RS6

Clutch Recommendations for RS6

Hi All,

Wanted to ask for anyone with a manual swap, what clutch you are running and any feedback on it.

I currently have a Spec 3+ in mine, but with the recent e85 tune, i know its not going to last. Currently 650 wheel torque and really need something that has some overhead. 800+ without being chatty, loud or crap engagement.

Lets chat!

Quote Originally Posted by catriple View Post
    800+ without being chatty, loud or crap engagement.
    Ah, the one made from unobtainum! Wish I had one of those!

If you have a very strong leg - you can go with custom twin-spring pressure plate. With a full-face disk like spec3+ it will have very nice and smooth engagement, while holding the torque.
    Driving in traffic will really test your endurance, though.

Can investigate multi-disk tilton options, but those are multi-$-thousand as well. Don't have any first-hand experience with those.

All the "flower" type ceramic disks will have crappy engagement and chatter, so those won't really work for you, I guess.

Here is an earlier thread with a similar question:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/33...-clutch-survey

I can update my experience with the AMD Stage 3+ (ceramic, 8-puck): after about 5k miles, it's better, but still not as smooth as I'd like. I've gotten to the point that I can engage it pretty smooth as long as I don't try to slip it much. Doing stop-and-go uphill is still a pretty big pain-in-the-ass. There is a freeway on-ramp near my work that has an on-ramp light during rush hour, and I'm sure I annoy people waiting in line because I'll sit and let 3 or 4 car lengths open up before I go so I can try to idle along as far as possible.

Link nubcake mentioned, you're going to have a tough time finding a "best of all worlds" clutch for a built RS6. The physical size of the clutch is just too small to avoid some sort of compromise. Maybe this is one of the reasons Audi never put a manual in these cars.

Yep. I had big TQ with a Spec Stage 3+ and it was fine. Once you break it in, it's better...no where like stock, but drivable. I didn't want to spend the loot on a double or triple disc, which is the only way you'll get what you want. You can't expect a single 8 or 9 in disc to hold that kind of power with reasonable spring pressure...
    2013 Audi S8

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32...-Clutch-review
    Quote Originally Posted by catriple View Post
    Hi All,

Wanted to ask for anyone with a manual swap, what clutch you are running and any feedback on it.

I currently have a Spec 3+ in mine, but with the recent e85 tune, i know its not going to last. Currently 650 wheel torque and really need something that has some overhead. 800+ without being chatty, loud or crap engagement.

Lets chat!
    I am currently replacing my clutch because someone screwed up the dimensions on the resurfacing of the flywheel but here is my thought.

Without going twin disc, AMD Stage 3 plus....i really like it in my car with the aasco flywheel.

My car was slipping the AMD. Cannot remember if it was 3 or 3+.

Ended up going with a custom unit from southbend.
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

Quote Originally Posted by mrdave View Post

I'm now running this clutch. With ~1500 miles on it, I like the feel and engagement WAY more than the AMD Stage 3+ I previously ran. The pedal feel is slightly heavier but the engagement is much more predictable/smooth and easier to modulate. Longevity still remains to be seen but for the record I only got 14k miles out of the AMD...

03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

That clutch sounds really good! A few questions:

Did you resurface your flywheel? Which flywheel are you using?

How did you know the AMD failed, was it slipping?

I've been on the fence about replacing my AMD 3+ clutch for a while, it looks like the Ringer Racing piece could be a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    Did you resurface your flywheel? Which flywheel are you using?
    Yes, my flywheel is from SteveKen's adapter kit. It was resurfaced with a 7.5mm step. I also pressed in a new pilot bearing. It was removed for the machine work but felt dry and didn't roll smoothly anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    How did you know the AMD failed, was it slipping?
    I didn't know it was at the end of it's life. Unfortunately, after a mishap replacing cam chain tensioners, I ended up sourcing a whole new motor. I discovered its state while swapping over parts.

I planned on sharing the story here eventually. It was a wild ride where I ran across some interesting findings. Just happy to have it all back together again
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

I've now only driven my AMD Stage 3+ around the neighborhood but I've got to say I think the clutch pedal is almost too light. Probably less than on my 1.8t TT. One thing I know with any 01E and goes for the RS6, get the Clutch slave cylinder bled properly. You really need to do it with a Pressure bleeder and it helps if the rear end is a little higher than the front end.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

How are you liking the conversion? I just recently brought my RS6 to LA so I can finally drive it regularly and it has refreshed my desire to convert it.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    How are you liking the conversion? I just recently brought my RS6 to LA so I can finally drive it regularly and it has refreshed my desire to convert it.
    Ryan!!! Holy Smokes!

At least you can drive the RS at normal speeds instead of the PNW Prius hippie speeds.

I can clearly write that as my truck has a hard time even going over 80mph (got it to 93mph on a down hill returning from Moab )
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Ben, that PNW comment pretty much means King County. I'm still able to hit triple digits occasionally on my drive to or from work
    Still working out some small....and large bugs. Can't believe I made the big mistake of doing new tensioners (cam chain) and only did 15 links on the right side. Oops. Noticed it in the upper RPM's. Working out the tune but now the snow hit. Also did Euro Recaros and they are more comfortable seats. After just driving it on some short test logging drives I do miss it. Definitely more peppier with the Manual. Not sure if it was a city car I would do it but rural or out in the country I would say for sure. If anyone could have figured out the coding to do the ZF 6HP tranny that would have been good enough but the 5HP is junk after driving the Cayenne and the wifes A8 with the 6HP.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    If anyone could have figured out the coding to do the ZF 6HP tranny that would have been good enough but the 5HP is junk after driving the Cayenne and the wifes A8 with the 6HP.
    If someone were to put in the effort, the ZF 8HP would be even better. Now that would actually make me think twice about a 01E swap.

The driving out here is interesting but there are so many good roads. The Audi isn't the daily driver though. I bought a new Speed3 when I moved here (my first ever new car) and it has now been hit and run twice, in a parking lot, while I was in the store. Seriously who hits a parked car?

If you make it down to socal hit me up.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Follow-up on the Ringer Racing Stage 4 Plus clutch ~13k miles later. The wear is phenomenal compared to the AMD Stage 3+ with similar mileage. Still plenty of meat on the clutch disc. It was performing perfectly; in fact the only reason for it's removal is for a rebuild on the 01E. Highly recommend. I will be putting a brand new unit in just because it's such a pain to change.