Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are all the modded C5 RS6 at? 500awhp to 800awhp+?

Where are all the modded C5 RS6 at? 500awhp to 800awhp+?

I picked up a 03 RS6 and was looking at some mods list.
    I find it hard to believe that I'm having difficulty locating build threads for this thing(considering its been out for a long time). I guess I'm spoiled coming from the LS community where everything has been documented at every power level.

I'm looking for 550awhp to start and eventually move into the 700-800awhp later down the line.

aside from the basics.
    Intake/full exhaust (or in my case im going with boost cutout)
    chip/tune/raise boost
    intercooler upgrade (or not as i don't have a problem injecting 50/50 meth)

What are some of the common routes that people take in upgrading this car?
    Considering that I can't seem to find a turbo that will fit.

Thank You

To get to 550whp you'll need to do an O1E 6spd manual swap with the JHM rebuild kit. This gives you the improved 1st & 2nd gear collars. You'll also need Steve K's O1E swap kit and a ClutchMasters HD clutch. It's now official that Tial 605's fit as Tim Haugan's RS6 ( former Sportec Project 6spd car ) is up and running w/ a pair .

With above mods you'll also need new injectors, fuel pump, Wagner IC's , etc...and most importantly a tune. Maybe he can chime in . Corn juice is your friend for the HP you're looking for.
    2016 Porsche GT4- 918 buckets- Track Toy
    2014 Porche Cayenne S- Sport Chrono-Sport exhaust- 2015 E63 S AMG- Ténorise Gray-Black Nappa-

Welcome! There are many threads on here. 500-550 hp/tq is fairly common. 600+ is highly debatable due to the $10-20k needed.

Don't use the search on here. Use Google and type "site:rs6.com turbo upgrade", or your choice of terms.

You basically need to upgrade the headers, turbos, injectors, pump, cooling, tune for $15k, then you will blow the auto trans, then you can do the 6-speed swap, then you sell the car...this is typical pattern
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I also came from the LS and Mustang worlds, and you won't find nearly the amount of build-info for the RS6. The market is just too small. Even the the other Audi's (B5S4, etc...) have far more information.

That said, there is still info out there, you just have to dig around a bit for it. First tip: use Google site search to search here. For example try "site:www.rs6.com turbo upgrade" and see what you get.

In general, there are 3 "stages" for the RS6:

(caveat - there are not enough examples to specifically say "do X and Y and get ZZZ horsepower". The numbers I give below are very rough and you can probably find several examples to prove me wrong)

Stage 1: exhaust work and a tune. Stock exhaust is quite good, so just gutting the pre-cats will get you most of the possible power at this stage. You also want to make sure everything is working right on your car too, for example check for leaking intercoolers, MAF's are sealing, plugs/filters are good, etc... I think this stage is good for roughly 400whp (this is very rough, since like mentioned above, we don't have a big database to draw from)

Stage 2: Bolt-on hybrid turbos, fuel injectors, fuel pump, bigger exhaust, bigger intercoolers, meth injection, maybe intake. This stage should get roughly 500whp

Here ends the things you can reasonable do with the stock transmission in place, and even here you'll probably want to explore some of the upgraded transmission options out there. AMD in Seattle is doing some interesting stuff with upgraded internals. To move forward, you'll need to swap to the 6-speed for both physical space and transmission longevity. Also, you are starting to push the limits of the stock rods, although that's definitely open to debate.

Stage 3: Bigger turbos (Tial 605/770/880), Garret GT Eliminator, etc... You'll need at least custom piping for the turbo inlet, and probably custom downpipes. If you really want to get the most out of the turbos, get custom custom tubular manifolds as well. Full 3" exhaust and some sort of custom intake. Probably going to need even bigger fuel pump(s), and might need to put on bigger rails. This is where you want to also take a hard look at building up the block a bit (rods, maybe lower compression pistons, cams, head work, etc...) These setups can push 600-700+ whp, but very few examples of cars like this exist, and the $$$ are getting pretty huge at this point.

Again, there is a lot of good info out there if you spend time poking around, and feel free to ask any other questions!

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Welcome! There are many threads on here. 500-550 hp/tq is fairly common. 600+ is highly debatable due to the $10-20k needed.

Don't use the search on here. Use Google and type "site:rs6.com turbo upgrade", or your choice of terms.

You basically need to upgrade the headers, turbos, injectors, pump, cooling, tune for $15k, then you will blow the auto trans, then you can do the 6-speed swap, then you sell the car...this is typical pattern
    I love that we use exactly the same search example. We need a sticky that talks about searching this site!

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    I love that we use exactly the same search example. We need a sticky that talks about searching this site!
    Ha, I noticed that, well done!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

3,31,115 in turbo mode

:-)

Im out

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post

nailed it...hahahahaha

Of course someday, somehow, someone will show up with their tamed unicorn...;0

Last edited by MaxRS6; March 9th, 2018 at 23:28.
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by RS6Goals View Post
    I find it hard to believe that I'm having difficulty locating build threads for this thing(considering its been out for a long time).
    Welcome. The main issues with making huge hp numbers with this car is physical space (as in there isn't any) and heat management. The other is that the production numbers were extremely low so you're not going to find a ton of aftermarket support. 550whp is doable, but much more than that becomes cost prohibitive.

The main hp upgrades you'll find are: manual 6sp 01E swap, ECU tunes, (Wagner) intercoolers, and w/m to help manage heat. Both the intake and exhaust are quite good in stock form, especially the black "sound enhanced" exhaust. To get to 550whp you're probably also looking at upgraded turbos, a fuel pump, injectors, and a custom tune.

This guy apparently now owns the infamous Sportec "RS600" and is having AMD work it over. Looks like he's got a dyno run claiming 650whp: https://www.instagram.com/p/BbR5vntg...n-by=timhaugan

Thanks for all the reply guys and thanks for the heads up.

At what point does the engine need upgrade? Is 600awhp fine in stock form?

Aside from manual swap to make room
    I’m a bit confused on why the cost is so high considering that they don’t look like they include engine upgrade?

I mean 10 to 20k NOT including the manual swap?

Are you guys including labor or just parts?

Ez 15k in parts alone plus the 6 speed conversion

you need custom exhaust manifolds, turbos, fuel

It is possible to cut some corners, but it still won't be cheap at all.
    Engine can hold 600ish for a while, provided it's adequately tuned and will not be overheated (read over-abused).

Ballpark parts prices:
    - turbos 3k
    - fueling 1.5k
    - intercoolers 1.5k
    - exhaust 1.5k
    - various little bits and pieces - easily 1-2k on top.
    - optionally MT conversion, can easily run 5k+ on its own.

Then you add repairs/maintenance pieces, labor, tune, etc - and it sums up nicely to 20+.

It adds up fast as you end up doing a lot of ancillary work while you have the motor out.

And it couldn't be any further from an LS. There is very little information out there for support aside from this forum. And Napa will not have those last minute parts you may find you need in a pinch. If you choose to take on the project it will take a lot of pre-planning and parts acquisition to keep the schedule moving. Otherwise, expect ample down time.
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    It is possible to cut some corners, but it still won't be cheap at all.
    Engine can hold 600ish for a while, provided it's adequately tuned and will not be overheated (read over-abused).

Ballpark parts prices:
    - turbos 3k
    - fueling 1.5k
    - intercoolers 1.5k
    - exhaust 1.5k
    - various little bits and pieces - easily 1-2k on top.
    - optionally MT conversion, can easily run 5k+ on its own.

Then you add repairs/maintenance pieces, labor, tune, etc - and it sums up nicely to 20+.
    Wow is this audi pricing?

Intercooler pretty sure I can cut that cost to $350 on a front mount style
    exhaust $400 straight through mandrel bends from downpipe back or 250 for cutout
    what do you count as various parts? Maintenance parts should not be counted. 1-2k is a big range to budget for misc

I havent looked at fueling but tons of new pump that range in the 120-200 that will flow 600+
    injectors = this will probably be the most expensive maybe 600-1k
    intake = 150, it amazes me that people pay 700+ for al piping and a filter...
    turbo will be dependent on what I can make work.hmm hoping I can get this down to 600-700 range.

Im thinking stock exhaust manifold will flow the 600awhp.

Ive been doing some more reading and looks like the major concern is space for the turbo.

A manual swap will take care of the auto trans limitation and free up space.

Tried the google search thing. Had better luck but still not able to find information like details on what people are using. Ill keep digging

I should probably add that I build my own stuff and fab my own parts

All I can tell you - you're welcome to try.
    You will quickly find out that it's not me "over-quoting" prices, but that your thinking is overly optimistic, unless you're okay with hacking together a barely functioning frankenstein, that doesn't resemble RS6 anymore.

There's no space to fit a proper FMIC, unless you get rid of the AC and relocate oil & PS coolers.
    Exhaust manifolds may be able to flow 750chp, but finding proper turbos that will bolt there and flow enough - is a completely different thing. A pair of used TD05s might fit your budget, but you'll spend a lot of time making them fit.

"Various little bits" are the stuff that you don't count, but it quickly adds up. Gaskets, hoses, sensors, hardware, yadda yadda. Depending on how involved your build is going to be, it can vary a lot.
    Bottom line of that message was: don't expect to "cheap out". Again, you can cut corners, but don't expect anything close to "LS community" prices with this car.

You didn't find any details, because there aren't many documented "big" builds. Usually the biggest thing people do - MT & hybrids. And that just barely touches 500whp mark. Try searching for "Milka build thread".

I didn't even get to start the popcorn.

FMIC....I guess you could screw it to the front of the bumper.

All joking aside, till you hold one of these exhaust manifolds in your hands....you will quickly realize the limits.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    All I can tell you - you're welcome to try.
    You will quickly find out that it's not me "over-quoting" prices, but that your thinking is overly optimistic, unless you're okay with hacking together a barely functioning frankenstein, that doesn't resemble RS6 anymore.

There's no space to fit a proper FMIC, unless you get rid of the AC and relocate oil & PS coolers.
    Exhaust manifolds may be able to flow 750chp, but finding proper turbos that will bolt there and flow enough - is a completely different thing. A pair of used TD05s might fit your budget, but you'll spend a lot of time making them fit.

"Various little bits" are the stuff that you don't count, but it quickly adds up. Gaskets, hoses, sensors, hardware, yadda yadda. Depending on how involved your build is going to be, it can vary a lot.
    Bottom line of that message was: don't expect to "cheap out". Again, you can cut corners, but don't expect anything close to "LS community" prices with this car.

You didn't find any details, because there aren't many documented "big" builds. Usually the biggest thing people do - MT & hybrids. And that just barely touches 500whp mark. Try searching for "Milka build thread".
    Thanks for pointing me to Milka's build. Thats EXACTLY what im looking for.

Not really sure why cheap/low price would automatically mean barely functioning Frankenstein/cutting corners. There are things that can be built/buy cheap(IC/fuel pump/turbo/exhaust/intake/etc) and things you just have to pay for (inj/tune/ECU or flasher/conversion/etc).

Prior to this car, I built a custom turbo set up on a 98 ws6 for less than 2.5k(including turbo and little things). That set up was my DD at 600whp for 2 years(until I sold it because I wanted AWD Turbo V8 to take care of street traction issues ). That car retained AC.
    Before that, I built a 530awhp talon,500hp turbo v8 260z, and a few supras. Currently also working on LS swap vega

Not sure if you're aware but there are turbo's on the market now that runs $350 that last 20-30k+ and able to push 600-800whp+. A single $150 pump can flow enough to run 600whp. I was really hoping people have tried these type of build so I wouldn't be wasting time trying to figure out what to mix and match. But I guess I'll take the hit for that. Worse case scenario I spend what you quote which wouldn't be so bad since I purchase the car rather cheap anyways.

Thanks for the heads up

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    I didn't even get to start the popcorn.

FMIC....I guess you could screw it to the front of the bumper.

All joking aside, till you hold one of these exhaust manifolds in your hands....you will quickly realize the limits.
    Funny you say that because i was just looking at ebay to see if I can find a cheap one to try out instead of pulling mine out just to see.