Thread: Help troubleshoot a slight whine on acceleration

Help troubleshoot a slight whine on acceleration

I had the RS6 almost down to an empty tank of gas earlier this afternoon and twice just before the gas station the car stumbled upon heavy acceleration.

Filled up the tank and car did not stumble again however I notice a slight whine coming from passenger side upon heavy acceleration sounds like maybe a vacuum hose or something from the turbo housing. Car seems to run fine but for this noise, want to get it sorted out & back to normal ASAP

Input appreciated on where to start the the troubleshooting process...thanks in advance
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Passenger rear? Angry fuel pump from getting to fumes, maybe some air in? Stumbling low on fuel sounds bad.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Passenger rear? Angry fuel pump from getting to fumes, maybe some air in? Stumbling low on fuel sounds bad.

I've been told that if I never changed the fuel filter to do it anyway but it would not cause these symptoms. Consensus is it's very likely a boost leak which can be a pain in the neck to find on the RS6 engine & hopefully issue is not the turbo itself. Also heard that aluminum cast intercoolers themselves are prone to leaking.

Was told to first check diverter valves AKA 710N replace at the slightest suspicion as they are cheap. Second is right where the hoses attach to the intercoolers and third is Intercoolers themselves.
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Quote Originally Posted by nistah View Post
    I've been told that if I never changed the fuel filter to do it anyway but it would not cause these symptoms. Consensus is it's very likely a boost leak which can be a pain in the neck to find on the RS6 engine & hopefully issue is not the turbo itself. Also heard that aluminum cast intercoolers themselves are prone to leaking.

Was told to first check diverter valves AKA 710N replace at the slightest suspicion as they are cheap. Second is right where the hoses attach to the intercoolers and third is Intercoolers themselves.
    If boost leak, then obviously not related to fuel, just odd timing. If you have stock hoses they like to loosen up, easy to check some of them. Yes, stock ic's are a well known issue and fixed or upgraded by almost everyone. Sounds like a boost leak though since it's coming from up front, fuel is in the back. Just have a smoke test done if you can't find any hoses loose. You won't hear any whoosh from the small intercooler leaks, they are probably jammed up with oil anyhow
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    This......1234
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Yes so it was just the intercooler hose connecting up to the intercooler, I need a new one and the Audi dealer does not keep on stock. I wanna say after looking at it earlier today it's # 26 in the diagram https://www.partslink24.com/vwag/aud...SUS&lang=en-US although going to have to confirm w/ my guy to make sure. Can anyone recommend a good source for these parts, silicone pressure hose & turbo clamp? Thanks

Veannair has been good, haven’t popped off in 5 years...http://www.venairsport.com/en/audi/r...r-600001040176

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    This......1234
    Ok, not this
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared