Thread: Auto tune on a 6MT swap

Auto tune on a 6MT swap

I've been looking and have not found a definitive answer to this. I currently have an 034 custom 93oct tune on my car and I'm considering a 6 speed swap. Will this tune work on the car? I've heard the tables from an auto tune won't work with a manual, but I've also heard the only thing needed is some coding to get the traction control and ABS to work properly.

I also just read a build where the guy swapped the 6 speed in and just unhooked the TCU. He said it worked fine other than the EPC light being on and the ABS/traction control issue. Said he even got the "depress clutch before starting" indication on the dash.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I ran an MTM chipped ecu with the tcu removed for a while (months?) before getting it tuned for the 6MT. CEL was illuminated due to not being able to communicate with the removed tcu. ABS/ESP will not be available and cruise control will function but will not disengage when clutch is pressed (assuming you wire in pin 39) until coded/tuned properly.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Its like I told the future ...the car will run and be like posted above. If you want a real tune contact Nubcake on here he will get you set up.

Any questions on the manual swap let me know my car has been perfect for 15k miles. It will be a lot more fun then the auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Wide-66 View Post
    Its like I told the future ...the car will run and be like posted above. If you want a real tune contact Nubcake on here he will get you set up.

Any questions on the manual swap let me know my car has been perfect for 15k miles. It will be a lot more fun then the auto.

Haha you sure did. I'm still in between a swap or an auto build, but I am leaning more towards a 6 speed.

I second the nubcake tune. It works great and he is very easy to work with. You need to get setup to do data-logging, but all you need is a cheap laptop and some free software to make that happen. The upside is you get to play with the logs yourself if you want and get a very intimate view of how your car is running.

Do you have a VAG COM cable yet? Definitely something you want with these cars.

Regarding the auto-tune, I also drove with it for a while after the swap. It works like others have mentioned, but I also found low-speed drivability kinda sucks. The car wants to buck and surge when trying to drive at low RPM (like a parking lot). It manageable, but annoying. The nubcake tune definitely fixes all that. He has also figured out how to correct the ABS programming without changing the ABS module, which is nice.