Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 517 Transmission. Still good?

517 Transmission. Still good?

Been doing some research for a place to build the transmission in my RS6. I found a lot of positive feedback on 517, however Sam no longer works there. The guy I spoke with seemed honest and said he still builds Audi transmissions and wouldn't have a problem doing mine.

Has anyone dealt with 517 recently? Or should I try to locate Sam wherever he is?

Tozo m8 is the man

Quote Originally Posted by EINHORN View Post
    Tozo m8 is the man
    I spoke with him but it appears he really only does stock rebuilds. I am looking for an upgraded build.

Quote Originally Posted by travish325 View Post
    Been doing some research for a place to build the transmission in my RS6. I found a lot of positive feedback on 517, however Sam no longer works there. The guy I spoke with seemed honest and said he still builds Audi transmissions and wouldn't have a problem doing mine.

Has anyone dealt with 517 recently? Or should I try to locate Sam wherever he is?
    Sam will take your money and run. Steer clear. He stold my deposit years back when I was working with my 2.7. Posted all the info about this on audizine I believe. I honestly believe he did nothing to my trans either. It went out a year later. 2nd tozo. Talked to him on the phone and seems honest and knowledgeable.

These guys have also been mentioned a couple of times on the forum over the years.

https://www.levelten.com/Audi_Transmissions_s/30.htm

I have no personal knowledge, just posting a link from memory.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Tozo will do a solid rebuilt, honestly. Small upgrades are an extra clutch pack and increased valve body pressure. Also replaces reverse pin and a few other little known breaking points.

Actually, you could contact AMD (addict motorsport design) in WA, they are working on a custom build with upgraded clutch packs they say. Don't think it's in the car yet.

Tozo will be $3k parts and labor, imagine AMD will be more in the $5k range, will see if they release it and work on others cars. They seem to just work on in shop local stuff mostly.

Still, the components for the auto trans only lead themselves to so much strengthening, and then if you get your power up you can still snap the input shaft.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Got ahold of AMD. They seem to have a pretty good system for building the auto. Has anyone dealt with them on this? I would love to hear some first hand knowledge from someone with an AMD trans.

I'm torn between swapping it to a 6 speed or building the auto. Its currently running about 23psi and was a blast till it started slipping. I just want an auto that I can daily drive and stomp the pedal without having to worry about anything lol

I am in touch with some guys about swapping in a 6 speed. However, I already have a 6 speed RS4, so I kind of want something auto.

Got ahold of AMD. They seem to have a pretty good system for building the auto. Has anyone dealt with them on this? I would love to hear some first hand knowledge from someone with an AMD trans.

I'm torn between swapping it to a 6 speed or building the auto. Its currently running about 23psi and was a blast till it started slipping. I just want an auto that I can daily drive and stomp the pedal without having to worry about anything lol

I am in touch with some guys about swapping in a 6 speed. However, I already have a 6 speed RS4, so I kind of want something auto.
    Amazed you got a hold of AMD. Did they give you a price? From what I've been following online this is their first trans build, hope to hold 600+ hp/tq. Time will tell though. I had a new trans that held the power just fine, until 8 months later after many fast launches...those clutch packs are just so small, like size of hand small, no matter how good they are built the increasing power will tear them up.

Just a note; for me my trans shifts and grabs quicker in Sport than in Tip, or obviously Drive. Tip which I like to drive in doesn't seem to shift as quick and crisp.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Amazed you got a hold of AMD. Did they give you a price? From what I've been following online this is their first trans build, hope to hold 600+ hp/tq. Time will tell though. I had a new trans that held the power just fine, until 8 months later after many fast launches...those clutch packs are just so small, like size of hand small, no matter how good they are built the increasing power will tear them up.

Just a note; for me my trans shifts and grabs quicker in Sport than in Tip, or obviously Drive. Tip which I like to drive in doesn't seem to shift as quick and crisp.
    I don't even use tip when I'm trying to go fast, only sport mode.

I talked with AMD about a full build including some custom work to make room for an additional friction disk in the clutch pack, as well as some TC work. Price is yet to be determined.

It's funny. This car had the trans and TC changed 20k miles ago. Within 250 miles of doing this tune and exhaust it started slipping on 1st-2nd.

I would steer clear of 517 - he did not give me my deposit back after I shipped the transmission core back said it was too damaged - became impossible to get him on the phone... asked for pictures etc. to show me the total destruction he was referencing. As far as I am concerned he is a thief. Stole my $650. Another life lesson I really didn’t need. Should have taken it to the junkyard and saved the $350 to ship it back to him.

I have heard this same story several times....on both Trans as well as Torque Converters... I had them rebuild my Torque converter last year... took twice as long as quoted, and still threw the same code once back in the car....never again...

It's funny. This car had the trans and TC changed 20k miles ago. Within 250 miles of doing this tune and exhaust it started slipping on 1st-2nd.
    Check your fluid level.... MANY a rebuild/install have experienced problems due to incorrect fluid level.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Stephencl View Post
    I have heard this same story several times....on both Trans as well as Torque Converters... I had them rebuild my Torque converter last year... took twice as long as quoted, and still threw the same code once back in the car....never again...
    You just got screwed in that case. TC is much simpler and a common solid rebuild. The rebuilder or your mechanic, caused the error, or something else is throwing the TC code. Now the transmission is a whole other mess...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Check your fluid level.... MANY a rebuild/install have experienced problems due to incorrect fluid level.
    I actually have some BND trans oil and a filter coming in today. I plan on flushing everything out and seeing where this gets me.

517 business practices aside.

I believe the package when built built together is a good one. I have a trans/tc package from Mark in WA. He had no issues w 517 and his car is modded.

The guys in Europe all send their stuff to 517.

There are documented failures from all the builders even Tozo. I had one. Tozo is just a better person.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    517 business practices aside.

I believe the package when built built together is a good one. I have a trans/tc package from Mark in WA. He had no issues w 517 and his car is modded.

The guys in Europe all send their stuff to 517.

There are documented failures from all the builders even Tozo. I had one. Tozo is just a better person.
    Who is Mark in WA? Wonder if that is AMD, or the shop they use for their trans builds.

Member here that had the 517 trans built.

I have that 517 trans.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Member here that had the 517 trans built.

I have that 517 trans.
    Do you know the build specs on it?