Thread: C5 RS6 timing belt - service position or easy way to move front clip out of the way

C5 RS6 timing belt - service position or easy way to move front clip out of the way

Is there a DIY for removing the front clip instead of "service position"?
    At least I would like to look into what is required to swing the front out of the way and compare the pain with working with mirror/blind in the service position when doing the timing belt.

To avoid breaking the AC lines on the 2.7T V6 I remove the AC compressor and lines to move condenser out of the way (IIRC). Never had the front off on a C5 RS6.

Not a big fan of using the mirror 'down there' to get to the crank pulley bolts, water pump bolts, etc with front clip in service position. But then again: if the pain (of removing the front clip) exceeds the gain (less "mirror pain"), then obviously not.

Is there a DIY for removing the front clip?

Quote Originally Posted by vtraudt View Post
    Is there a DIY for removing the front clip instead of "service position"?
    At least I would like to look into what is required to swing the front out of the way and compare the pain with working with mirror/blind in the service position when doing the timing belt.

To avoid breaking the AC lines on the 2.7T V6 I remove the AC compressor and lines to move condenser out of the way (IIRC). Never had the front off on a C5 RS6.

Not a big fan of using the mirror 'down there' to get to the crank pulley bolts, water pump bolts, etc with front clip in service position. But then again: if the pain (of removing the front clip) exceeds the gain (less "mirror pain"), then obviously not.

Is there a DIY for removing the front clip?

No DIY that I recall. There are a number of things you need to do over and above just tilting in to service position, and unless you're removing the engine, I would NEVER pull the front clip since there are so many pieces to remove. Lots of fluids pass through through the clip over and above your coolant with the transmission ones being the most time consuming to refill. Plenty of room to execute regular maintenance of belts, pulleys, etc.

1. Disconnect transmission lines below drivers side intercooler hose
    2. Disconnect the aux radiator hoses from the cross pipe (if you still have those intsalled)
    3. Disconnect the lower rad hose on the passenger side
    4. Disconnect the oil cooler lines from either the filter housing, or the cooler (I opt for the first as you can easily strip out the cooler fitting)
    5. Disconnect the power steering lines from the cooler on the drivers side
    6. Disconnect the A/C inlet and outlet hoses from compressor.
    7. Disconnect the A/C hose from the condenser
    8. Disconnect the cable feeding the hood latch
    9. Disconnect the radiator fan harness
    10.Disconnect remove the line feeding the temerature sensor

Catch and recycle/dispose of all fluids properly.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I take service position and gain additional space by placing two supports under the rad support. Pulling out a bit further. That allows additional room down there