Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 speed conversion RS6 FS in NH. Seems like a lot of car for the money

6 speed conversion RS6 FS in NH. Seems like a lot of car for the money

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-rs6-6-speed-manual/6401999300.html
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

I'm not feeling it for some reason. May be the wheel choice or how low it sits. How can you drive a car that low

"have paint"

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003...401999300.html
    Last edited by DHall1; December 12th, 2017 at 21:11.

Seats look nice. Seems to be well done and it wouldn't be too difficult to correct the ride height and put some proper wheels on there. But I'll never understand why someone would neglect simple body work for something they're trying to sell for more than a couple $k.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmnair View Post
    https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-rs6-6-speed-manual/6401999300.html
    Compared to what has sold on BAT recently it seems to be priced kinda high. Am I missing something?

Just another "spend a shit ton of money on a 6sp conversion", then sell it cos now I don't like manual.
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    Compared to what has sold on BAT recently it seems to be priced kinda high. Am I missing something?
    Just seemed well priced to me at $17k . I thought another 6 speed conversion sold at a higher price on BAT.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Quote Originally Posted by fukinavit View Post
    Just another "spend a shit ton of money on a 6sp conversion", then sell it cos now I don't like manual.
    Yeah wonder why that is happening a lot. This car better suited for automatic?

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    Here is one that sold for almost $26k on BAT... Another 6 speed conversion with 127k mikes...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-audi-rs6-19/

So $17k seems to be a good deal (assuming the car was done right of course). Maybe I am missing something

That looks like "fast guys" old car, I know he wanted to sell it but I thought he changed his mind. A great car and well modded, although I can't imagine doing all that work and sell it for that price.
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition

Quote Originally Posted by Cmnair View Post
    Yeah wonder why that is happening a lot. This car better suited for automatic?
    It's a running cliche that everyone sells their 6-speed shortly after getting it done. As someone who recently did the conversion, I have some thoughts:

First, there are a people who are never "done" with a car, and if they get close to being "done", they get bored and sell it. I'm one of those people, and I've built several pretty cool cars (IMHO), but then sell them because I want to try something else.

Second, you build a 6-speed RS6 because you love to DRIVE your car, but driving a modified RS6 a lot can be hard. Especially because you just made a bunch of modifications to your car, and mods can often mean more stuff breaks. I'm sure there are some dialed-in 6-speed cars out there, but you often hear about "95% complete" cars that have tuning/starter/clutch/etc... issues. It can be exhausting to get one of these conversions 100%, and sometimes people will give up. In my case, I don't like my clutch, and I'm having some boost issues that may require an engine drop again. I'm not looking forward to that.

Finally, (and this one is kinda specific), you spend a lot of time and money to build your dream car, then go to the track and get absolutely spanked by a tuned S4 with an automatic. Then you drive your brothers new SS Camaro with a modern clutch and tranny that are butter-smooth and shift way better than your 15 year old transmission. Both of those people spent about as much as you did. Modern cars are just plain good and it's really hard to build an older car to compete. It's fun to try, and satisfying to have something unique, but that's about it.

All that said, my car is not for sale

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    It's a running cliche that everyone sells their 6-speed shortly after getting it done. As someone who recently did the conversion, I have some thoughts:

First, there are a people who are never "done" with a car, and if they get close to being "done", they get bored and sell it. I'm one of those people, and I've built several pretty cool cars (IMHO), but then sell them because I want to try something else.

Second, you build a 6-speed RS6 because you love to DRIVE your car, but driving a modified RS6 a lot can be hard. Especially because you just made a bunch of modifications to your car, and mods can often mean more stuff breaks. I'm sure there are some dialed-in 6-speed cars out there, but you often hear about "95% complete" cars that have tuning/starter/clutch/etc... issues. It can be exhausting to get one of these conversions 100%, and sometimes people will give up. In my case, I don't like my clutch, and I'm having some boost issues that may require an engine drop again. I'm not looking forward to that.

Finally, (and this one is kinda specific), you spend a lot of time and money to build your dream car, then go to the track and get absolutely spanked by a tuned S4 with an automatic. Then you drive your brothers new SS Camaro with a modern clutch and tranny that are butter-smooth and shift way better than your 15 year old transmission. Both of those people spent about as much as you did. Modern cars are just plain good and it's really hard to build an older car to compete. It's fun to try, and satisfying to have something unique, but that's about it.

Well said
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

agreed, you pretty much hit the nail on head.

although anyone that tracks the RS6 deserves to get spanked, it simply is not designed for that at all, unless its a 2 mile oval circuit!
    it was designed for high speed cruising and comfort. I think alot of the mods people do take away from that because its one thing that the RS6 does do so well.

I bought the black 6 speed RS6 Avant from SteveKen. He can speak for himself but I believe that the challenge of engineering and building the car was his focus, once it was done he was ready to move on. On the flipside, I bought a great car that *I* couldn't have built for the money.

My daily driver is a relatively stock C5 S6 with automatic. I have not driven a stock RS6 but I agree that a manual swap changes the character of the car. The acceleration is intoxicating. How much does the automatic affect performance? Well in addition to 'drivetrain loss' it weighs 150 pounds more. Meanwhile there's so much torque that it almost doesn't matter which gear you're in, it's just more fun to drive a manual.
    '02 RS6 Avant conversion
    '03 S8 Avus
    '89 964

This car is in the for sale section on this forum. I was close to buying it but I never got any of the requested walk around videos I asked for. Actually I did get one, but it had no volume and the quality was terrible.

It seems like an awesome car and a great deal. However, I ended up picking up one out of LA with only 70k miles on it for $15.5k.

I am sure a 6 speed RS6 would be amazing, but I decided I wanted something comfy and auto... I know I sound old lol I have an RS4 for when I feel like shifting.

I definitely agree very well said. For me, especially the part about "never being done". That's why for me, some cars I have and love, I just leave alone. And my RS6 is probably the quintessential example of. I mess around with vintage cars a lot, most specifically long hood / long nose 911s ('68-'73) and I have friends, dear friends, who are total experts in those cars to the point of having tools and knowledge to do rotisserie full restorations on their own… maybe short of motor builds… even tho its totally not for the $$ or their “business”, just the love and passion… or maybe a wife they don’t love so much and want to stay away from idk. And I can’t tell you the number of times one of those friends have said “I’m really going to keep this one” and they never do!! And I’ve told them plenty times, don’t you yourself realize yet that it’s the process, the chase, that keeps you in love? You’re never done!! And when you are it’s on to the next. But they are truly preserving history / automotive history so I don’t bitch too loud. That’s how it goes. C5 RS6s are ancient territory. While they’ll never get the love and cult following of a 911, I think it’s the same powers pulling on the heartstrings. I’d love to see and feel what a well sorted 6 speed would pull like, but what’s the point? That’s not how it was envisioned and built in its time and there are a million “more modern” things that would spank it in whatever format. But it’s still pretty bad ass and close to top of the foodchain…. Even if it has to pull its AARP card on occasion. .

Hoooray talking about my car...no press is bad press

The car was put together by me to be my highway bomber to and from work. (Drive 120 miles a day) It does that amazingly except when stuck in traffic on 93 which happens everyday and is annoying. Soo since I also have an A7 that will be the new daily. I want to send this one off so I can finish up my Porsche and an old 34' Ford 5w coupe (yes steel).

Next point...stance agree completely too low it was setup then aligned and since my daily I havent had a minute with work and travel to coordinate raising and then quickly aligning so i dont eat the tires up. But I have 3 weeks off now so I can.

Next wheels these are OEM A5 premium wheel I didnt think they were horrible for what I have in them and it saves wear on the snows.

Next the super scary paint and hood OMG. I laugh at the guys that but a 15-16k or 20k unmaintained toilet because it was waxed real nice. Im transparent and what you see is what you get. This one happened to get poked in the nose by a hitch in parking lot. I have not had the downtime to pull the hood and paint it because I have to go to work. I guess buy that mint bodied car with the TC code for 12-14k thats going to be fun to fix or buy a swapped car that is solid and has 15k troublefree miles under its belt and needs 1k max in exterior stuff. And lets be real these cars arent any younger and are getting to the age where they need a respray anyway.

Next why I didnt send the video...heard you were scouting my buddies car seemed to have questionable funds so i choose not to waste my time. Also the fact that you were between auto and manual made me wonder if you could fully appreciate the actual cost of the swap as reflected in the price.

Now the price 19.5k??? How did I get there? Take your 8k car w/ a bad trans (i know some of you payed more or were just tricked because the tc code was cleared) and then pump about 13k in mechanical stuff. That seems to ad up to over 19.5....and it is CL anyway so you have to fluff that number. I reduced it on the FB group to 17 and was scolded for devaluing or told helluva price. But I have since put on my snows and it ride so nice so maybe with my time it will get raised up and ill put that wavetrac in (whats that?).

Anyway enjoy all you guys I have not quit yet I just like to build cars and if its any consolation I have yet to hang onto a car as long as this RS6.

Hopefully the above isnt taken the wrong way...not meant to come at anyone just answer the what the hell is that guy thinking questions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	18349
    Stockers w/ snows. Running like a champ.

Definitely a sweet ride. I didn't mean any offense by saying I never got a video or anything. I was between 3 and ended up going with a 70k mile CA car with a brand new trans.

I will have a six speed rs6 at some point though. This car with an auto and a tune is insane, I can only imagine it in a manual!