Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine pull

Quote Originally Posted by Jorisrs6 View Post
    Would a 20k rs6 have given me the guarantee of being reliable? No! Or did you mean another car for 20k
    I mean a 20K RS6 that has records of being properly maintained and already had big ticket items rectified. Then you would have a true representation of what this car actually costs. As it currently sits, you could exceed that depending on what you do or don't have to get another qualified person to work on, what you will or will not look to replace from a responsible maintenance effort, and what you must replace due to the current condition.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Only 2 ways to pull this engine...out the bottom, or out the bottom...

Quote Originally Posted by P1054 View Post
    I also bought my first RS6 when I was a bit younger (23 if I recall correctly), and it was a big step up from my previous Acura. As I fairly quickly discovered, parts are definitely more expensive, and an RS6 tends to need more of them more often, BUT it's absolutely possible to do your own work, including engine pulls and transmission swaps. When I bought mine, the most complex mechanic work I had previously performed was a timing belt change on the aforementioned Acura. I've now done 2 manual conversions (unfortunately my first RS6 ended up totaled), replaced all the front control arms, built and installed custom straight pipes, replaced the timing belt several times, removed and reinstalled the front bumper more times than I care to count, removed and modified the cluster with a new color display, replaced the EGT sensor PCBs with "better" ones, and a handful of other things. It's not that RS6s are necessarily "hard" to work on, you just have to follow the proper sequence.

that is good to hear. I have some experience and have friends with more experience so ill give it a shot

I would highly recommend trying to get ahold of a copy of ElsaWin, the old Audi factory software. It contains detailed step-by-step directions for pretty much anything you could possibly need to repair or replace on the car. I have a Bentley manual as well, but mainly only use it for the wiring diagrams. And if you can track down a copy of ETKA (the Audi part-number software), that will also help. There is also a website called realoem.me (similar to realoem.com for BMW) that contains most of the same information as ETKA that is very useful.

never heard of elsawin but it sounds like this is exactly what i need.

While I'm on the subject of software, get a RossTech VagCom cable if you don't already have one. It will help immensely if/when you have any trouble codes.

Yes im going to order one

For parts, get familiar with sites like ECS Tuning, Pelican Parts, FCP Euro, Autohaus AZ, Blauparts, Genuine Audi Parts, and others.

I owned an aidi before and have purchased from a few of these companies

And finally, spend lots of time on this forum! As with most forums, try and do your due diligence and search before asking a "common" question. If you can't find the answer by searching, post the question and most on here are more than happy to share their wealth of knowledge. I for one have learned a ton from this forum, and even met up with several other local RS6 owners.

Welcome, and hopefully your RS6 experience is a rewarding as mine has been!
    i hope so too. I have found a lot of good information on this site and save all important threads. Thanks for all the information and effort everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    DHall1 will be happy to come to your house and help you for food and beer.

Mike
    Im in canada though. But maybe hes in for a trip to canada haha. Tell him ive got good food, moosehead beer and an appartment to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    I mean a 20K RS6 that has records of being properly maintained and already had big ticket items rectified. Then you would have a true representation of what this car actually costs. As it currently sits, you could exceed that depending on what you do or don't have to get another qualified person to work on, what you will or will not look to replace from a responsible maintenance effort, and what you must replace due to the current condition.
    Yes. Maintenance is pretty ip to date. Just the trans went bad now. I still need to put all maintenance into excell to get a clear view instead of all the loose papers. Thanks for all your information sofar

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I was looking for some more details lol.

You're only sayin that because it's sunny and 73 degrees down here!

i think I'll drive an RS6 today

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    DHall1 will be happy to come to your house and help you for food and beer.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    hiliarious.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Uhhh, yes

a 70k RS6 with a new Audi trans just sold for 15500

Would a 20k rs6 have given me the guarantee of being reliable? No! Or did you mean another car for 20k

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    You're only sayin that because it's sunny and 73 degrees down here!

i think I'll drive an RS6 today
    I am still waiting for DHall1 to come and fix my parasitic current loss. My RS6 is sitting in the garage rotting. friggen thing..

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

The line starts behind all my crusty ol junkers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7746.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	18354

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    The line starts behind all my crusty ol junkers

Name:	IMG_7746.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	18354
    That's just filthy...and you need to sweep your floor...

Don't worry, the more times you pull the engine the better you get at it. An auto trans routinely lives 75-100k in these cars when not hammered on.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

All the magic happens out in the shop garage!

for the life of me....I wish I could figure out proper wheel fitment.

OEM 20x9s on the S8 with some nice meat under that arch. :-)
    Last edited by DHall1; December 17th, 2017 at 17:30.

bought some 20x9 a8 wheels for the beast. Hopefully have my shop done before the new year so i can start working on the rs and ordering parts. How do i upload pics from my phone? It tells me the files are invalid?

Thumbs down

Update: just broke my hand. Now its gonna take even longer

Name:	IMG_2733.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	18356Thats my crusty piece of cosworth lol

Update: just broke my hand. Now its gonna take even longer
    Ouch, that sucks. Definitely need two fully functional hands to work on an RS6

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    Ouch, that sucks. Definitely need two fully functional and SMALL hands to work on an RS6
    And small hands helps a lot!

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,