Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine pull

Question Engine pull

Hello. This winter my engine is coming out for several reasons. I would like to do most of the work myself but i cant find a detailed diy on it. Does anyone know a thread or a link or a book or whatever. Thanks

joris

Book! LMAO! You want to learn RS6 Engine Pull from a BOOK!!!! Mr. Miyagi say "No learn from Book." Must apprentice with an experienced mechanic. Start with an engine pull on a John Deere lawn tractor then work yourself up.

There is of course the Bentley Manual, available on CD. Has all the steps for an engine pull.

I don't have full access to mine but I did pull out several key chapters. (bentley security on their products is a bite in the A$$, I had mine on a hard drive from a dead notebook but up to recently I could still open the files).

Starts like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 3.07.01 PM.pdf 
Views:	80 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	18344

I can email the PDF's that I have to you, just shoot me an email address. It's 3.6 megabytes, can send with my iCloud account.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Ok haha. Ive got time and space to do it. Does the cd have more information than the bentley book? My email is jorismelissant@hotmail.com. I appreciate it. Id like to do some of the pull myself to save some $$. The other work and putting it together will be done by my mechanic. Ps whats so stupid about a book? Bentley manual seems pretty helpful lol

email sent.

Mike.
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

I had to chuckle myself

there is the book. Yes

but unless you're a well skilled tech already this may not end well.

As mentioned, it's a very technical and tedious job. All I can offer is a hint for searching this forum, and good luck!

Use Google, and "site:rs6.com engine pull", or your term of choice.

Fix any line or seal you can while the engine is out. Bufkin oil cooler pipe will be one of them...cam seals...replace any old/worn vacuum lines...the list is a long one...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Yes ive searched but didt find anything really helpful. I received some good info from mike. But it looks like i wont be doing it myself. For this year ill just do the easy stuff myself and let my mechanic do the difficult stuff. However i hope to be able to do an engine pull by myself in the future cuz it seems like they need to come out every year atleast☹️

I have owned one of my RS6s 11 years. Engine has never been out, trans has never gone kaput, torque converter is original

my other RS6 was my daily for years. Put over 60k daily driven miles on it. Engine out 1 time for a blown trans. Early vin. Other than that. No other failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorisrs6 View Post
    Yes ive searched but didt find anything really helpful. I received some good info from mike. But it looks like i wont be doing it myself. For this year ill just do the easy stuff myself and let my mechanic do the difficult stuff. However i hope to be able to do an engine pull by myself in the future cuz it seems like they need to come out every year atleast☹️

my rs6 is from 03 and has 120k miles. Original trans and torque convertor. However i see in the maintanance papers that the engine has been out for otger stuff twice in the last two years. Anyways. I bought a trans with 30k on it. New unit from audi in 2008. I still havent decided what torque convertor i should get. Since im planning on going stage 2 i will likely go with the one from advanced automotion. Other suggestions?

planning on going stage 2...
    Clearly new to RS6 rhelm. I am one of the few that has owned a trio of these at once, and in all the years I've been wrenching and tweeking them have never heard of a "staged" car... Get that jargon out of the way and tell us just what it is you 'want' to do, and we can then provide some insight on what you 'can and cannot' do - or at least insight on what you may likely experience challenges with.

I've just done a 5th RnR on one of the beasts here for replacement of turbos and numerous other maintenance related items so can shed a great deal of light on what you're up against.

Drop me a PM if you like.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Yes im new. Probably also the youngest rs6 owner here��. Bought it when i was 19. Anyways. With stage 2 i just meant intake, downpipes and a tune. I was only thinking of pulling the engine out so i can keep my car in my shop and work on the brakes etc at the same time as my mechanic works on the engine. Turbos will be rebuilt, timing belt, valve covers, seals gasgets, vacuum lines etc. Goal is ofcourse to do it all at once. Do you perhaps have a list of what you all replaced or recommend yo replace? Thanks

Ah yes. The 'affordable' RS6 that is now within reach for many. I can see the drool. lol I hope your project turns out the way you hope and that you aren't broke in the end. Sounds like you have a pretty big vision that can easily cost 5digits plus if you're not careful.....which for some may be near the price they paid for one of these cars in the first instance.

Intake works just fine on these cars and there is no need to swap out. There are a few that have tried different configurations (both cold air and hot air) with no one able to cite any performance gains over the OEM cold air set-up. This isn't a naturally aspirated car and as such modifications other than ensuring the air charge is cold and non-restricted are all you need - which OEM does just fine.

This isn't a 'simple' engine pull - per see. It's systematic in that as long as you work through all the steps and associated parts and pieces it comes out nicely. There is a host of work to do a pull and even after doing it almost a half dozen times, it still takes a solid 5-6 hours to get everything removed/unbolted (presuming you don't experience any problems with anything), and nearly the same amount of time to reinstall. All other work to replace parts is over and above those time frames except for perhaps a few external incidentals that have to come off anyway to facilitate removal.

Lots of information on this site and other sites which some members post links to. If you haven't already, it would be a good idea to start spending some downtime in the evenings reading a bunch of threads on things related to your vision. Lots of eye opening discussion!
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Yes bigglesworth. It was an affordable rs6. That was beause i got 20k off of the original listing price. It was listed for 30k and i ended up buying it for 10. Believe it or not. It is actually a really clean usa car with all maintenance ip to date and always dealer maintained. I have all maintenance papers and information of the car. and at the time of purchase it was great, but over the summer trans got worse till the point tgat it doesnt move no more. I have a new f150 as daily so i got all winter to get it done. I have done two engines pulls before but this is certainly a step up. Im doing a lot of research and have found the basic steps. Yet i have not found a very detailed diy yet. I appreciate everyone comments so far!

Yet i have not found a very detailed diy yet.
    There's a reason for that. It's significant and not many owners undertake it on their own. A good portion of the people that could afford this car new had the $ (and warranty) that facilitated the stealerships performing the work. As mentioned a number of times over the years, the fact that they had a dedicated table to use as part of the open heart surgery needed to fix certain parts of the power plant, suggests it's not ordinary by any means.

Now with the car being on the inexpensive side to purchase, many are buying without insight to what it takes to maintain. If you aren't a more advanced wrencher, you could well be out of pocket BIG $$. It's that's simple.

You have a car for $10K that is certain to be another $10K to meet your vision. Why not buy the $20K car in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    There's a reason for that. It's significant and not many owners undertake it on their own. A good portion of the people that could afford this car new had the $ (and warranty) that facilitated the stealerships performing the work. As mentioned a number of times over the years, the fact that they had a dedicated table to use as part of the open heart surgery needed to fix certain parts of the power plant, suggests it's not ordinary by any means.

Now with the car being on the inexpensive side to purchase, many are buying without insight to what it takes to maintain. If you aren't a more advanced wrencher, you could well be out of pocket BIG $$. It's that's simple.

You have a car for $10K that is certain to be another $10K to meet your vision. Why not buy the $20K car in the first place?
    Yeah.... like a V8 supercharged or V12 twin turbo AMG!! Its a joke....kind of.... don't ban me please. Actually parts on those are worse $$.... but they aren't as storied of a love-hate relationship as the fabled RS6... I don't think anything gets more love hate than RS6 for any car built since the advent of indoor plumbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post

Would a 20k rs6 have given me the guarantee of being reliable? No! Or did you mean another car for 20k

I also bought my first RS6 when I was a bit younger (23 if I recall correctly), and it was a big step up from my previous Acura. As I fairly quickly discovered, parts are definitely more expensive, and an RS6 tends to need more of them more often, BUT it's absolutely possible to do your own work, including engine pulls and transmission swaps. When I bought mine, the most complex mechanic work I had previously performed was a timing belt change on the aforementioned Acura. I've now done 2 manual conversions (unfortunately my first RS6 ended up totaled), replaced all the front control arms, built and installed custom straight pipes, replaced the timing belt several times, removed and reinstalled the front bumper more times than I care to count, removed and modified the cluster with a new color display, replaced the EGT sensor PCBs with "better" ones, and a handful of other things. It's not that RS6s are necessarily "hard" to work on, you just have to follow the proper sequence.

I would highly recommend trying to get ahold of a copy of ElsaWin, the old Audi factory software. It contains detailed step-by-step directions for pretty much anything you could possibly need to repair or replace on the car. I have a Bentley manual as well, but mainly only use it for the wiring diagrams. And if you can track down a copy of ETKA (the Audi part-number software), that will also help. There is also a website called realoem.me (similar to realoem.com for BMW) that contains most of the same information as ETKA that is very useful.

While I'm on the subject of software, get a RossTech VagCom cable if you don't already have one. It will help immensely if/when you have any trouble codes.

For parts, get familiar with sites like ECS Tuning, Pelican Parts, FCP Euro, Autohaus AZ, Blauparts, Genuine Audi Parts, and others.

And finally, spend lots of time on this forum! As with most forums, try and do your due diligence and search before asking a "common" question. If you can't find the answer by searching, post the question and most on here are more than happy to share their wealth of knowledge. I for one have learned a ton from this forum, and even met up with several other local RS6 owners.

Welcome, and hopefully your RS6 experience is a rewarding as mine has been!
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

DHall1 will be happy to come to your house and help you for food and beer.

Mike