Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surprised a newer A8

Surprised a newer A8

At a light three lanes merging into two. The A8 (twin turbo V8) came flying up on third lane (there was nobody behind me). Open road for about half a mile in front of us. The light turns green and we floor it and he couldn’t catch up. May have taken him by surprise because he probably thought “old Audi”. I think those cars are faster (he may not have been on it in the beginning). He was pacing me a bit and then gave a thumbs up before turning off.

Dont usually do this but I thought this was a good opportunity to see how the old girl held up vs newer cars with similar power.

Somewhat similar experience with newer S550... he was surprised too.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Remember the thread a bit back about how "slow" these old RS6s were.

I called BS and the $hit storm started.

Lol

if you don't maintain and keep up on the tune of these cars then you will have a big turd.

If you keep up on the tune? Well we see what can happen.

My beater RS6 w115k clicked off 12.50s with no hard launches.

I was pleasantly surprised too. I didn’t launch either... just rolled of idle and then floored it progressively. The car moved like a freight train. I know we can’t launch as well as these newer cars with launch control engine management gizmos but once it gets moving it is such a rush.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Quote Originally Posted by Cmnair View Post
    .I know we can’t launch as well as these newer cars with launch control engine management gizmos but once it gets moving it is such a rush.
    Rat Duck Goose - as Patrick would say...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I drove an A8L for a few years, it was very quick, don't think my RS6 was faster (stock).

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

As as noted by cmnair above. He has both the A8 and S550 covered.

If his RS6 is running properly that would be the case.

I have both those vehicles easily covered by my RS6s.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    I drove an A8L for a few years, it was very quick, don't think my RS6 was faster (stock).

Mike

A good tune and regular maintenance and only a select few cars will out run you. I ran a douche bag driving a new ZL1 Camaro and he was astonished that he only barely eeked out a car length after a full half minute sprint. Guy was utterly dumfounded on what just happened. Yes, before you ask - he had a mullet & moustache..... lol
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Figure you're at least 20% slower not tuned...

Mike, you need a tune! And then you can get a new transmission! Or not if you're careful and timely with shifting...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Figure you're at least 20% slower not tuned...

Mike, you need a tune! And then you can get a new transmission! Or not if you're careful and timely with shifting...
    My RS6 is stock! My A8L was stock. My M2 is stock.

I don't want to buy another transmission. I have not even gotten my parasitic current drain fixed yet! The car is sitting in the garage with the snows on but no love!

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

I also have a 2013 a8L 4.0T and ran it stock and got a 12.2.. after doing a simplestage 1+ tune I ran an 11.8. Definitely faster than the old girls and even though its a bigger car it feels much more nimble than the rs6
    they call me Tank

Quote Originally Posted by RSSIK View Post
    I also have a 2013 a8L 4.0T and ran it stock and got a 12.2.. after doing a simplestage 1+ tune I ran an 11.8. Definitely faster than the old girls and even though its a bigger car it feels much more nimble than the rs6
    Damn, that's quick. Do you remember your trap speeds?

I wonder how much the newer transmission helps too...

Numbers are entirely associated with gearing of the transmission and differentials. Back in the day (gawd I sound old), the age old trick to improve acceleration times was to swap the gears in the rear end. If one were to alter the gearing of the C5 RS6 you can get it to accelerate quicker also. Clearly we can't alter the internal gearing of the ZF auto, but we certainly could change the gearing in the differentials. Not aware of anyone having done this though?
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

As that would be a sure fire way to snap that trans input shaft.

Im happy I have what I have

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    As that would be a sure fire way to snap that trans input shaft.

Im happy I have what I have
    I don't know that the difference in gearing would have that much of an affect. The front and rear differential RS6 gearing is 3.197

The base ZF tranny gearing is:
    1st: 3.571
    2nd: 2.200
    3rd: 1.505
    4th: 1.000
    5th: 0.804

Final gearing then is:
    1st: 11.412
    2nd: 7.033
    3rd: 4.811
    4th: 3.197
    5th: 2.570

The S6 has final differential gearing of 4.111. “IF” the parts could be swapped, I might in fact give it a go. That would give a staggering 1st gear of 14.680 – albeit at the cost of your 5th gear top-out.
    So, to my point, the new ZF 8spd transmissions have an additional 3 gears which assist in getting you a steeper 1st gear (launch) and 8th gear for some long legs. The new RS7 as a reference has a base first gear ratio of 4.71 and a differential gearing of 3.08. That’s a final gearing of 1st: 14.507 which is just a tad smaller than the above.

Entirely about gearing as you can see. Yes, with only 5 gears, you compromise upper for lower. I don’t tend to drive 280+ all that often, so I wouldn’t mind having more fun with gearing that helps acceleration even more. I think I need to research the swapping of the front diff a bit more now.... To my benefit, I have both a C5 RS6 and S6 tip sitting in my garage collecting dust. Time to disassemble the diffs and check things out with micrometers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    The front and rear differential RS6 gearing is 3.197
    ????
    Talking C5? It's 4.111.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    ????
    Talking C5? It's 4.111.
    Well, I guess that Wikipedia has it wrong then....?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	18373

Actually, it's a bit trickier.
    Rear diff is 4.11, but final drive ends up being 3.19 due to internal gearing of the transfer case.
    So what I'm trying to say is - you can't just take front and rear diff from the S6 and plug it into the RS6 to get different gearing.
    Check this table:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GAG.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	18374

Right Spur gears that are a slight multiplier. Wiki would benefit from adjusting how they describe things by not stating the value as a differential value, and to improve the inclusion of the spur gears. Anyway, the 30:11 front ring & pinion is different than the rear 37:9 ring & pinion. My observation above still remains the same in that I would wonder about revising the ring and pinions in the two differentials.