Thread: RIP Beast! At least for me.

RIP Beast! At least for me.

Just stopping in to say goodbye for now, I traded my RS6 yesterday for a more reliable, less exciting form of transportation for the short-term. I got a 2014 CPO Infiniti Q60 coupe. It was a sad day- there were a few tears shed. We are moving & I am splitting work time at the new location & my existing practice so I needed to have a car that would be safe for a couple of 4 hour drives per week. I was going to have it balanced & rotated since I noticed a little wear on the outside of the front tires. The shop called & said the inner portions of the fronts were thru the belts (this happened just couple of days after the other post about tire wear), the front axle was toast again, etc. This was on top of all the other things I already knew needed to be done (pads& rotors all around, control arms etc) so I decided it was time to part ways. The Infiniti will give me time to get set up in the new location without worrying about what's going to break next, make my wife happy, and give me time to think about what the next interesting car will be.

I'll miss the Audi, lots of great memories, but I've got pics & video of the exploits. It's been the best & the worst car I've ever had. I'll miss:the roar when the loud pedal is pushed, that in Alabama there will never be another one parked next to you in a parking lot, the look the sport bikers give when you run with them on the twisties (WTH), the warp drive from 80 mph on up to ?. It felt just right- everything I wanted in a car. I won't miss the continual $3-5000 repair tabs with the knowledge that there was going to be more soon and trying to explain or hide them from my wife. It started off on the wrong foot with her when I had to replace the TC immediately after purchase- the pre-purchase inspection didn't show THE CODE but by the time we drove it back from Dallas, it was there. Bad start!! A real Love/Hate situation.

She looked lonely when I was leaving her at the dealer- I hope she gets a good home that will take good care of her. My realtor called while I was working on the deal & I talked to him for a second or two about trading it in - he called Betsy & told her that he thought I was crying. That might be possible. I'll miss all the people here that I've gotten advice from over the past few years. See you at Barber sometime in the future Randy.

Thanks to everybody,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171019_112729.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	18289
    Ted
    2003 RS6 - Avus Silver Pearl - Ebony Interior - Warm Weather Package - Carbon Fiber - ACE TC - SE Exhaust

Dang- Bummer to hear it. Good luck with the changes! I'll certainly give you a shout next time I head to Barber. It would be great to see you again. I plan on being there at least a couple of times in 2018.

Long ago when you captured Crazy at Barber while the brakes being applied a bit...Thanks again for the pics..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JTM_5687_DxO.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	18290

Another pic..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JTM_5484_DxO.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	18291
    210K miles rolled

I had planned on getting everything fixed up on the car- had the timing belt, etc done before Christmas and was going to do a tune & get sway bars but a sudden change in my employment status ended that. I found a nice practice in Fairhope on Mobile Bay & we are moving down there. Will still get up to Birmingham & Barber for most of the events. I loved the car & enjoyed watching Crazy run there.
    2003 RS6 - Avus Silver Pearl - Ebony Interior - Warm Weather Package - Carbon Fiber - ACE TC - SE Exhaust

Be happy you ran the car to its design limits.

Mine are in garage mode and driven on sunny days to keep systems in order. Trailered on vacation to the Colorado mountains and turned loose in those mountains

i drove my Daytona as a daily from 30 to 80k then decided it was too nice and garage queen it became. Ditto for my Avus 20k to 50k then garage queen. This keeps maint cost in check and the wife happy and I still get to play on sunny days

I wish I had not used it as a DD. When I bought the car 5 years agoI was only driving it a mile or 2 a day to the office & really not putting any stress on it. We moved 3 years ago & really started putting more mileage (50 or so on it a day) but it still had no CELs. Things started going downhill after I was rear-ended about a year & a half ago & it jarred a bunch of things under the hood that of course the insurance said were unrelated to the wreck. When I got the car back from the body shop the starter was not working correctly & had to be rebuilt & then replaced, the small cooling fan was dead, the SAI was messed up, had fuel EVAP leak that led to gas tank replacement/fuel filler replacement etc etc. I really thought about keeping it & getting something else & eventually fixing it back up but I will find something else to replace her after we are settled in good. I think too many things were shaken up in the wreck to ever get it fully straightened out.

I did get to run her pretty hard at Barber, Talladega, & in the North Carolina mountains ( Tail of the Dragon, etc) & will always cherish those memories- great fun!! I definitely already miss the roar/rumble.