Thread: Midas QA/QC

Midas QA/QC

I booked an appointment at a Midas store close to my work to undertake a repair to the exhaust on my S6. I had a roadside emergency while on holiday in which my resonators collapsed due to a rusty connection. I inserted two straight pipes with slight bend on them in their place, clamped, and used heavy wire to string the pipe up to the OEM hanger position under the car. It was a beautiful repair if I don't say so myself made in a place with limited access to parts and aside from some minor leaks, it worked great and I had a solid 2000 miles + on them with no concerns.

Once back home, I decided to have the joints welded shut and new brackets installed to make for a nice final repair. I dropped by a local Midas shop that was close to my office and after an hour I was out and on my way. This past weekend as I undertook some other maintenance work, I decided to see how Midas did on my exhaust repair. What a @#$%'ing joke!! To my dismay, my exhaust is hanging a full 3-4" lower from the OEM position. Further the welding is subpar. I’m positive I could have done better - and I suck at welding…. Talk about shoddy workmanship and poor quality control. The only item I couldn’t repair myself at home. I was optimistic they couldn't get it wrong, but alas it's abysmal. How do people get permanent jobs at shops that promote this type of work with shoddy work like this??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1586.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	18247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1587.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	18248
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

That's about what I would expect from a Midas, or any other national chain that employs untrained kids. At least you didn't get the oil changed at Valvoline Instant Oil.

I figured this would be a simple repair. After all, how tough is it to weld pipe right? Apparently welding doesn't require consideration for quality when it comes to things though. Car is going to be 'corrected' this next Monday. Told the branch manager that it can't be the same worker who botched it up in the first instance. There is daylighting ABOVE the pipe for goodness sake. Sigh
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I don't skimp on repairs on my cars, I use a pro, preferable about my same age.....and inspect every gd thing he does LOL.....I would not bring my worst enemies car to a Midas for an air freshener change. Or any of those instant lube places. Man the stories that are out there....including auto dealers LOL.......

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,