Thread: Is there an easy way for the oil filter?

Is there an easy way for the oil filter?

Hi everyone,

I am about to do my second oil change on my RS6 and the first one was not done by me, this one will be. I looked under the car and it seems that the only way to take that oil filter out is to remove the torsion bar? Is that correct or is there an easier way? If the bar has to come off, the car have to be off the ground to get less resistance i am assuming? Newbie question i know, but i would love some help on that from the RS6 crew here!

Thanks for your time and help!

It can be taken out without dropping the sway bar, but in the end it'll be easier to just take it off.

Some say you can get it out via the wheel well. I have looked at that both on the ground and with the car on a lift! It does not look much easier than from underneath. Just drop the bar (4 bolts, pretty easy, swings down), cover the suspension with a few towels because there are some 'nocks and cranies' to hold the melted OIL. LOL. The problem is you have to tip the filter until the opening is DOWN before you can get it out of the rats nest it sits in. I have always wondered if I could drill a hole in the filter and let it drain before taking it off, perhaps brake the seal on the thing with the belt wrench, and then drill the hole.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

It can be done w/o dropping the sway bar, there is a access point that the filter can pass through (between the subframe and inner wheel well area). I'll try and get a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Some say you can get it out via the wheel well. I have looked at that both on the ground and with the car on a lift! It does not look much easier than from underneath. Just drop the bar (4 bolts, pretty easy, swings down), cover the suspension with a few towels because there are some 'nocks and cranies' to hold the melted OIL. LOL. The problem is you have to tip the filter until the opening is DOWN before you can get it out of the rats nest it sits in. I have always wondered if I could drill a hole in the filter and let it drain before taking it off, perhaps brake the seal on the thing with the belt wrench, and then drill the hole.

Mike
    Drilling a hole in the filter to let it drain would not be a bad idea for sure, i just be worry about possibly hitting something if it skips while drilling lol. I think dropping the bar is going to be the best way really. Can it be dropped while the wheels are in the air? Just wondering about tension on the sway bar is all. I am assuming the tension would be less in the air or would that not matter?

Quote Originally Posted by cruzanrs6 View Post
    It can be done w/o dropping the sway bar, there is a access point that the filter can pass through (between the subframe and inner wheel well area). I'll try and get a picture.
    Oh ok, looking forward to the pictures if you are able to!

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    It can be taken out without dropping the sway bar, but in the end it'll be easier to just take it off.
    Yes it does make sense just to drop it, i wanted to make sure it is not going to compromise the screw or holes after repeated removals, that was one of my biggest worry with that>

Quote Originally Posted by rah View Post
    Yes it does make sense just to drop it, i wanted to make sure it is not going to compromise the screw or holes after repeated removals, that was one of my biggest worry with that>
    It can and it eventually will. But you can replace just the mounting bracket afterwards, it's shared with V8 A6 and S6, so not terribly expensive.

I have had that sway bar down about 20 times. It's not going to mess up the bolts.

The first time was the worry. I had NO idea if that thing was going to spring down or something. As it turns out it's under no pressure, just swings down easily and goes back just as easily. Don't forget to put a towel on the suspension parts below the path of the oil spill that IS coming your way!

Mike
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

The only reason it's a pain in the ass for me to drop the sway bar is because I broke two of the subframe studs and had to replace them with standard bolts, which are hard to get a socket on the other end of. If your studs aren't broken, dropping the sway bar is a piece of cake, relatively speaking.
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    The only reason it's a pain in the ass for me to drop the sway bar is because I broke two of the subframe studs and had to replace them with standard bolts, which are hard to get a socket on the other end of. If your studs aren't broken, dropping the sway bar is a piece of cake, relatively speaking.
    OH shit! I see, what a pain! Option 3, change oil and leave filter LOL Just kidding.