Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audi going down the tubes? All these major system issues on new cars

Audi going down the tubes? All these major system issues on new cars

So I took our 14 SQ5 in last week for no less than 5 recalls. Car has never been back to the dealer and I accept the poorly engineered platform as it is. I let the recall pile build up until the wife finally said what the heck are you trying to knock me off. Doh

of course they find broken stuff and need to order parts so it goes in again tomorrow

as I was researching the recalls all this bad news is everywhere about oil burning, class actions, Audi denying but settling on and on. People are really pissed off at Audi and the lack of quality. Oil burning etc etc.

I get it. Lots of new cars suck but the bulk of Audi's problems are hitting the bread and butter money makers for Audi. A4, Q5, A5.

Also, as the air bag recalls pile on and get higher and higher. Guess what the RS6 is free and clear. No airbag recalls.

Guess what else? My little 500Hp+ Cosworth masterpieces don't use a drop of oil.

I drove a nice clean D2 S8 yesterday and I'm tempted to start turning back my clocks and driving the older models that actually had build quality. That S8 was fantastic

Our MY15 Macan Turbo had about 3 recalls so far. One still yet to be completed due to parts shortage.
    Good luck.

Is it for the fire and airbag thing? 576,000 Audi vehicles recalled.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Recalls happen. I get it

we are 5 and counting on the 14 SQ5. By 2014 you would think the bugs are worked out of that chassis. Same chassis for how many years?

what bothers me more are the claims of oil burning and what AoA is telling their bread and butter consumer.

"It's perfectly normal to add a quart of oil every 800 miles".

People are dumb but not that dumb

if AoA told me that on any vehicle I own.....some teeth would be on the ground and I would be driving to Manheim to auction that car off never to own an Audi again. That's just it. I know they are telling customers that BS and we are to accept a poorly designed platform and engine??!?

i know sales are high but this stuff has a way of biting you back.

You might want to look at BMW's campaign and recall history.. Low compression on engines due to cylinder all flaking, saftey issues etc. I'm afraid this is common with today's car manufacturers trying to cut costs meet emissions etc...
    www.advancedautomotion.com

Oh I agree completely

I'm certainly not buying a BMW product

I'm good with what I have. May swap the AMG for a 13 S8 at some point but I really enjoy that AMG twin turbo and the last rwd chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by scottmandu View Post
    You might want to look at BMW's campaign and recall history.. Low compression on engines due to cylinder all flaking, saftey issues etc. I'm afraid this is common with today's car manufacturers trying to cut costs meet emissions etc...

I was referred to a local Indy for Crazy's maintenance. After a few service visits and meeting Paul O'Hara, we became friends. I was impressed with Paul's mechanical skills specializing in Audi's and VW's. After research and getting to know each other- we decided to become business partners a couple years ago. It has been an interesting couple years as we grow the business. The local Audi stealership gives plenty of reasons for folks to utilize us for their car service. Back on topic- I hope folks continue to purchase Audi and VW machines and we'll keep putting them back on the road...;0

https://www.facebook.com/OHara-Autom...9041145267438/
    210K miles rolled

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post

I drove a nice clean D2 S8 yesterday and I'm tempted to start turning back my clocks and driving the older models that actually had build quality. That S8 was fantastic

Agree on the build quality of the D2 S8 have always wanted one and almost bought a nice 2003 D2 S8, the 2003 is a real gem if you can find one in nice condition, IIRC less than 100 or so made it stateside for 03 MY which was last production of D2 and they had updated color combo options that 00-02 did not. I saw a nice Black exterior Brown interior for sale and I also like the Silver Exterior Cranberry interior. The D2 is discussed quite a bit on http://www.germancarsforsaleblog.com and they have a hammer time section detailing auction price trends. Let's see who is the first member on here to add a D2 to the fleet
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Yeah, I'm not sure how much longer I can resist a 13+ S8...

Yes, the 13-14 S8 is on my radar.

Enjoyed my 13 E63 for the last year but it's time to move that along

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure how much longer I can resist a 13+ S8...

Compare Audi's current overall vehicle reliability with where they were 7 years or more ago and you'll see that if any era was "down the tubes", it was then, not now.

I'm sure Kia's are very reliable. Doesn't mean I'm buying one

is a choo choo train Q5 burning a quart of oil every 1200 miles considerec reliable? Oh boy

Maybe if Audi paid their workers in Mexico more than $15 dollars a day there might be a bit more quality control.
    Last edited by DHall1; August 25th, 2017 at 00:55.

I'm sure Kia's are very reliable. Doesn't mean I'm buying one

is a choo choo train Q5 burning a quart of oil every 1200 miles considerec reliable? Oh boy

Maybe if Audi paid their workers in Mexico more than $15 dollars a day there might be a bit more quality control.
    Thank you for completely ignoring the point I made, which directly addressed your original post...

Not really sure how "they" determine reliability but that was not my intent of the post.

Major system issues, engine problems and lack of quality. Oil burners everywhere and customers being told it's normal.

You hang your hat on reliability. Good for you

reliabilty can be debated as to what is included in that figure. I give a rats a$$ about some ambiguous claim of reliability when engines are burning thru oil like the Exxon Valdez.

choo choo train Audi's. All aboard

...You hang your hat on reliability...
    I get it - you've long been "glass half empty" on the topic of Audis newer than the C5 RS6, while I've long been "glass half full". We can agree to disagree.

But what do "Mexican workers" have to do with any model OTHER than the 2018 Q5? No Mexican workers touched your SQ5, so what's the point of even mentioning that?

If reliability and quality are built into the production process (as it is in modern manufacturing systems) it really is irrelevant where it is made. The manufacturing and assembly is pretty much baked in and consistent.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Not all Audi's

I like the 13-14 S8 and the 13+ S6. I will own the S8 some time soon.

I accept our 14 SQ5 for what it is. Yeah there are some nagging issues but I accept it. I don't bother the dealer for any warranty work and it's been 100% reliable.

I dont have a issue with Mexican workers. I will not buy a Audi made at a plant in Mexico. There is a difference too much to go into but some of the 18 Q owners are finding out.

I do have a problem with Audi paying labor 15 dollars a day to build a $60000 dollar SUV. There will be QC issues and I will not be a buyer.

I also have a problem with Audi moving to Quattro ultra. Fwd system that engages the rear when needed is not Quattro. That's the beginning of the end. I will not be a buyer.

Had some ass time in a '13 A8 4.0t today. Liked it, but didn't absolutely love it, but mighta could live with it...and the price is ~$10-12k less than a comparable year S8. My dilemma is, it will cost quite a bit just to get to S8 power. I figure $2500 for turbos, $2000 for downpipes and $1500 for APR tune. Spend $10k more and the same $6k, and I'm in super car territory, with a smidge nicer car. Damn cars....