Thread: Question on the transmission issue

Question on the transmission issue

Good afternoon Rs6ers. I had a chance to buy 911 Turbo but I chose this car because it is the ultimate power machine About a month ago transmission started slipping a little bit. For example if I'm cruising in fifth year at 45 miles an hour putting trip mode I drop at the third if I go to hit the gas it wants to slip if I give it just a second or two for power no problem it engages. I've had the car to 160 miles an hour five times is the issue started And it pulls so hard currently running hundred octane APR. if I start the current trip mode say first gear dead stop no problem launches great into Second third fourth fifth gear no issues. I'm thinking the filter might be clogged possibly a bad solenoid or just rotten fluid is low I spent three hours in the last two days reading every single post on here related to transmission issues. I pm master tozo. Also just before this issue started driving 45 miles an hour had a huge thud hit. Almost like I I hit something large on the road. Took the car out today shifted awesome but still wants to slip sometimes at low speeds. Looking for a slap in the face from someone!!!

I'd say its on its way out kablamo in short order. Mine did the same super thud as you described. But it went into limp mode shortly thereafter. I quickly got a rebuilt replacement trans.... that was over a year ago.... its still sitting.... I know totally pathetic. Its going under knife soon. But I start it up and keep it limber and take it around the block from time to time and it shifts fine, but drive 30 mins or so, I guess til fluid and clutches heat up etc., and its toast. And I didn't even have a tune, all stock, but about 85k mi.s and early vin and don't think any trans t/c work ever, expect changing fluid and filter with BND about 300 mi.s before implosion, and yes it was all done correctly, pick up tube length, fill procedure etc. but very suspicious timing. I shoulda never touched it - it was fine b4, idk just suspicions at this point, but others have said service fluids regularly or never and I didn't listen. Anyway, big huge thud, I'd say its dunzo. I know prob not what you want to hear and don't want to jinx you, but that's my bet. Mine never slipped at all or showed any symptoms until total implosion.

Ouch, the slipping, and especially the big thud (basically complete slip of clutch and hard shift to next gear) have all the indications the clutches are toast. You could always try and full flush and filter, maybe have a shop upgrade your valve body pressure while at it, but basically this will just help get by a bit longer. When my first trans failed it was slipping and thudding just like this, and the fluid was loaded with clutch disc materials. The clutches are very small in the trans is the main issue.

There's a manual on my website for the trans fill procedure. Sounds like it's rebuild time...find a good shop to be sure it's done right!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by CBeau View Post
    Mine never slipped at all or showed any symptoms until total implosion.
    Same here, seemed fine then slip/bang/slip/bang driving around town one day...kaboom!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I like like a ticking time bomb? I put 500 miles on since it started. It just drives so well

When mine went I was sitting in dead stopped traffic (I live in DC metro area = worst traffic ever, and I've lived in NYC and SF Bay area during absolute peak full employment of early 2000s tech boom) so I was playing with phone while stopped and then finally traffic moved and I stepped on gas and car didn't budge so my first thought was I accidentally hit shifter or something so I looked down to see and "KABOOM", just like you said, almost like I hit something, and then it started moving but all gear selector lights lit up = limp mode and went into I think its 4th gear, and I just concentrated on getting it back to where it lives. Once back I shut it off and let sit few mins and restarted and limp mode went away, but just a little driving / playing around it was clear it was toast. I guess they don't all go the same bc I've put maybe 50 miles on it since that happened and it becomes readily apparent once I drive any distance at all that the trans is a zombie. It only did that super thud once, the first time = the first symptom. I have a garage with post lift and proper tools and a table sufficient to drop engine on to, and I'm going to do the whole shabang while its out. Timing belt and water pump were done not many miles ago maybe 3k - but probably 6 years age - so I'm gonna do again while out with a Gates, go thru all the good lists on here for big engine out redos, valve covers weep a liitle etc. May ditch the secondary air intake idk. Only thing I'm really on the fence about is should I replace the whole timing chain tensioner assemblies / units or just the pads. If I don't replace them and they go bad I'll be super pissed. But they're $$ and I just don't have confidence that they really need be totally replaced. I would bet $$ that if I didn't go F-ing with changing the trans fluid my trans would have went on a bit longer, so I'm gun shy on this car replacing what don't need be fixed. But all that stuff is such a pain in the ass to get to, if I do all this and put it back together and it gives me problems again I'll throw the F-ing car away (I know that's not the requisite spirit of a real C5 RS6 owner). Any input on cam chain tensioner units appreciated. I'm doing this soon.

This thread is giving me heartburn.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    This thread is giving me heartburn.

Mike
    Takes two Tums, and remember you aren't tuned so that extra 100 torque won't be eating up your trans...as quickly. You're welcome

You're going to get heartburn again once you get the bill for my great advice!

Quote Originally Posted by CBeau View Post
    Any input on cam chain tensioner units appreciated. I'm doing this soon.
    Multiple posts and threads by me when they failed and the process the shop went through. Also do the Google search "site:rs6.com cam tensioner", and "site:rs6.com cam adjuster"

To the OP, highly recommend you get these done if replacing trans, engine will be out or in service position saving you at least $1k.

10-4, looks like its time to drop 8 k

If anyone wants a perfectly good working 5hp24a with ~54k miles I should have one available sometime later this year.

I wonder if there's a bad solenoid or low fluid? It's been shifting great. Is long as you keep it in trip mode it doesn't slip anymore