Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loud tapping noise from engine

Mech Loud tapping noise from engine

I was planning to take the RS6 for a spirited drive on July 1st around the Quabbin Reservoir in MA, and as I turned the car on a loud tapping noise was happening on the passenger side. I opened the hood/bonnet and recorded the sound as available below. I pulled the car back into the parking spot and decided to take a different car instead.

Worries me that it may be valve engine knocking but wanted to see what others thought. No CEL light is on, and I have not yet had the chance to check using VAGCOM.
    Ok to drive to dealer to check, or should I have it towed instead?

Short video:
    http://www.htms.org/img/072017/EngineBay.mov

Cam Tensioners
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

nene, what oil have you been using? Sounds lifter related. They don't commonly fail on the 4.2's, rarely but occasionally. How long did you let it idle for? If it wasn't such a pain to take off I would say pull the valve cover and start it up and take a look, otherwise I would start it up and drive it at fairly low RPM's once around the block and see if it gets better. Maybe slowly failing and a bit of increase in oil pressure may be all it needs to bring it back to life. I asked above as oil quality can make a huge difference.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

The dealer has been doing the oil changes and always recommend RS6 oil has been used. The last oil change was when the 70K service was completed a while back (included fixing valve cover leak), and the car driven since. I'll check the oil level on the car.
    Due to travel plans, the car was sitting for about 3 weeks, and I just started it up. I think I may have let it idle for about 5 mins before I shot the video, and just got a bit worried.
    Thanks for the feedback and will go through the list of options provided, and see if the sound goes away.

Double check your invoices for what oil is being used.

Check that pn to be sure it's the 505.01 Castrol diesel spec oil.

These cars are old....very few techs left from the day these were introduced. Most could care less what oil they dump in.

i second the lifter prognosis. Warm it up again and raise the revs

Sorry to see you're having problems. I switched to BND oils years ago

Quote Originally Posted by nene View Post
    The dealer has been doing the oil changes and always recommend RS6 oil has been used. The last oil change was when the 70K service was completed a while back (included fixing valve cover leak), and the car driven since. I'll check the oil level on the car.
    Due to travel plans, the car was sitting for about 3 weeks, and I just started it up. I think I may have let it idle for about 5 mins before I shot the video, and just got a bit worried.
    Thanks for the feedback and will go through the list of options provided, and see if the sound goes away.
    Last edited by DHall1; July 3rd, 2017 at 05:52.

Back in the olden days as they say......

My five cylinder Audis had a built in reminder for oil change time. Lifter tap. Despite the best oils being used, it would come in at about 3000 miles. Synthetics were good for way more than that, even back then.

The only cure that worked for this, and it wasn't more cowbell, was Rislone. While not exactly an oil substitute, it is a ginormous detergent supplement, and it would loosen sticky lifters for another 2K miles.

To this day, I run a half to full quart of Rislone in the engine the day before an oil change.

Probably going to be seeing flames shortly, as our Cosworth motors deserve only the best wine, but this has worked for me for 30 years

BTW - the wine I run is Redline 5W-40, per Mr. Hahn's recommendation.

Good luck, and I hope it is not a tensioner.....
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

From an oil level perspective I think it looks ok based on my reading. However I am not against doing another oil change since it has been a few months (only 500 miles, maybe)
    Checked with VAGCom and nothing in terms of errors.
    This morning after I checked the oil level, I started the car and the sound was gone. I rev'd it up to about 3K or so a couple of times and left it idling after for 10 mins, and the sound has not returned. Not saying it is fixed, and I'll go with the easiest solution first of going with a new oil change.
    Thanks to all for the great support.

That's exactly how the car sounds after you change out cam tensioners..... It takes a few minutes prior to disappearing entirely, but it will go away.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Sounds much more like 'cold' lifter tick. If it was chain tensioners it would not go away. I would do a good flush and then see what develops.

Update:
    The noise has not returned. I have not driven the car hard at all but took it around town for about 30 minute drive. Checked for any engine codes after the drive and nothing.
    Left the car overnight and did not restart the car until almost 24 hours later, and the noise still has not returned. Checked for engine codes and all is still clear.

Checked all my past dealer work orders where oil change was made and it seems one of the 2 below were always used:
    G052167A2 (discontinued by Audi superseded by M2)= Castrol TXT 505.1 5W-40
    G052167M2 = Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W-40

Checked the last invoice, which included my 70K mile service, and part number for oil was:
    G052167S0
    A quick search on the net and it seems it is 'Castrol Syntec 5w-40 bulk oil'. Oil weight seems correct, and I trust the tech that did the work.
    Nevertheless, I have sent an e-mail to BND sales and requested their formula for the RS6. Waiting for a reply, and will order it as soon as I possible.

That is the wrong oil and will ruin the engine if left in there.

Always verify if you are letting someone fill fluids.

End of story. It's a good thing the engine told you it wasn't happy

Please change it out asap.

"calls for 5w40. I got that right here at my pumping station"

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Double check your invoices for what oil is being used.

Check that pn to be sure it's the 505.01 Castrol diesel spec oil.

These cars are old....very few techs left from the day these were introduced. Most could care less what oil they dump in.

i second the lifter prognosis. Warm it up again and raise the revs

Sorry to see you're having problems. I switched to BND oils years ago

Quote Originally Posted by NSU RS6 View Post
    Back in the olden days as they say......

My five cylinder Audis had a built in reminder for oil change time. Lifter tap. Despite the best oils being used, it would come in at about 3000 miles. Synthetics were good for way more than that, even back then.

The only cure that worked for this, and it wasn't more cowbell, was Rislone. While not exactly an oil substitute, it is a ginormous detergent supplement, and it would loosen sticky lifters for another 2K miles.

To this day, I run a half to full quart of Rislone in the engine the day before an oil change.

Probably going to be seeing flames shortly, as our Cosworth motors deserve only the best wine, but this has worked for me for 30 years

BTW - the wine I run is Redline 5W-40, per Mr. Hahn's recommendation.

Good luck, and I hope it is not a tensioner.....
    I'll probably join you in getting flamed, but I actually do something similar with Marvel Mystery Oil, top off the oil with it a few days before the change. Despite the name, it's actually got a decent reputation for helping break down deposits and reduce sludge. My grandfather swore by it, but I thought it was snake oil until I tried it on one of my higher mileage cars. It definitely fixed noisy lifters in that one. I then did research on it, and the consensus was it may or may not help, but it's probably not doing harm in any case.

First and foremost is regular oil changes with good oil, but I honestly believe a little extra cleaning on higher mileage engines makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by nene View Post
    Checked the last invoice, which included my 70K mile service, and part number for oil was:
    G052167S0
    A quick search on the net and it seems it is 'Castrol Syntec 5w-40 bulk oil'.
    And this is exactly why I always do my own maintenance. As DHall1 said, I would not run that oil in my car. The weight may be the same as the proper spec but the additives are likely way off. I've also been using BND and have been very happy with the quality.

I have been religious about using the exact oil type recommended by Audi. I keep a case on hand. 501.01 spec oil. Currently I have Castrol Edge Professional OE . Covers VW 501.01,502.00,505.00. I found it hard to believe such a thing could make a difference but it was not worth a few bucks difference in price to take a chance. You also have to tell them it take 7.5 liters not 7 and not 8.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Happy we got to the bottom of it and real quick.

Its funny really. My wife wanders out in my shop/2nd house every now and then and asks why we have so much BND oil on the shelf. " is that new oil?" Yep "How many cars will that stuff fill?" Let me see, we have 4 Audi's an AMG and one diesel pusher. About 66 quarts should do it, any other questions? :-)

That 5/40 Syntec crap is exactly why Audi sent out the service bulletin back in the day.

Use 505.01 oil in the RS6 or you will void the engine warranty.

Its really that simple. The loads placed on RS6 engine oil are critical and need the proper spec.

I had a hunch that dealer used the wrong oil in Nene's car.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdave View Post
    And this is exactly why I always do my own maintenance. As DHall1 said, I would not run that oil in my car. The weight may be the same as the proper spec but the additives are likely way off. I've also been using BND and have been very happy with the quality.

I have an appt to get the oil changed first thing Friday (tomorrow). I dialed/emailed up the good folks at BND and did not get a response. I suspect Brian is on a well deserved vacation. Once I get a hold of them I'll order some. For now I'll make sure to just fix the issue by replacing the current oil with correct 'G052167M2'.
    On a good note I think I've only driven the car 300 miles or so. I suspect no major damage has been done, but looking forward to correcting the previous mistake.