Thread: replacing headlight - any C5 4.2 bi-xenon ok? and reinstallation question~

replacing headlight - any C5 4.2 bi-xenon ok? and reinstallation question~

I need to replace one of my headlights...I did some surgery on mine, putting in an LED high beam and getting rid of that annoying amber plastic insert. One went fine, the other...don't ask.

Headlight assemblies from C5 A6 4.2s appear to be identical to what's sitting on my workbench, but I want to double-check before buying one.

Also...anyone have a good trick to getting that 3rd screw in? The one you have to access with a long extension through that blind access hole? I felt like a superhero, having figured out how to pull the headlight assembly without removing the bumper...but then reinstallation has me shut down. I can say from experience that recovering the 3rd mounting screw after it has tumbled into the abyss of the engine bay was a lot easier than expected....
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Not 100% on it, but AFAIK 4.2 projectors are smaller.
    High beam inserts could still be the same, though.

As far as I know 2002-04 A6 4.2 :2002-03 S6 :2003-04 RS6 same
    Left P# 4B3941003K
    Right P# 4B3941004K

Andriy

I believe any facelift 4.2L, S6, or RS6 have the same headlights, as Andriy mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    I need to replace one of my headlights...I did some surgery on mine, putting in an LED high beam and getting rid of that annoying amber plastic insert. One went fine, the other...don't ask.

Headlight assemblies from C5 A6 4.2s appear to be identical to what's sitting on my workbench, but I want to double-check before buying one.

Also...anyone have a good trick to getting that 3rd screw in? The one you have to access with a long extension through that blind access hole? I felt like a superhero, having figured out how to pull the headlight assembly without removing the bumper...but then reinstallation has me shut down. I can say from experience that recovering the 3rd mounting screw after it has tumbled into the abyss of the engine bay was a lot easier than expected....
    For the hidden third screw, the passenger side is pretty easy because you can get your hand around the back of the headlight to help hold/guide the screw. For the drivers side, you can pull the fender liner back to snake your hand up in behind the light to do the same. I also use a 1/4" drive socket and extension(s) to allow a bit more flexibility when trying to line up the holes. A magnetic bit holder helps too.

Just be careful or your car might end up looking like this sad example:

2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    Just be careful or your car might end up looking like this sad example:

looks pretty mint;not sure what I'm missing?
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

The passenger side headlight "iris" opening is clearly smaller than the drivers side
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    looks pretty mint;not sure what I'm missing?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k9370656.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	18086.......
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down