Thread: Spare TC? What are they worth?

Spare TC? What are they worth?

Got a stock torque converter taken out at 88k miles for a 6sdp swap (not mine). I know they are somewhat hard to find. So my question is what are they worth and where's the best way to sell it? Andrč at Edge said the U.K. buys them up like crazy, just figured it would be an arm and a keg to shop the heavy thing overseas.

thanks in advance!

Why would anybody buy a used one if they are going to the hassle of pulling the engine out to replace it? Maybe if it had 20 or 30K miles, but otherwise it makes little sense.

Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    Why would anybody buy a used one if they are going to the hassle of pulling the engine out to replace it? Maybe if it had 20 or 30K miles, but otherwise it makes little sense.
    perhaps to have a core to have rebuilt/improved so they don't have a ton of downtime when they do pull the engine to replace.
    RS6 904747 | Daytona - Black | 10SecTune | Milltek Cat Back | Gutt'd DPs | trans tune | OEM RS4 wheels

Quote Originally Posted by urs6ville View Post
    perhaps to have a core to have rebuilt/improved so they don't have a ton of downtime when they do pull the engine to replace.

I was thinking fir for this reason as well, most places charge a $300-$400 Core charge. I was just curious about it all after Edge TCs said they are very hard to come by. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli42 View Post
    I was thinking fir for this reason as well, most places charge a $300-$400 Core charge.
    Core charge is not the same as monetary value. Many places put a high core value on something hoping a few people won't bother to send it back and make additional profit. I think Sears or other automotive chain has an $18 core charge for batteries, but the most a junkyard or scrap metal place will give you is $5 or $6 if you just bring it in off the street.

Sold mine for $200 locally. Those IMO are worth something only to a DIYer or as a core.

Quote Originally Posted by urs6ville View Post
    Ha. That's why I have an extra one. For Sale!!! Paid 350