Thread: Anyone local to southern CT to meet up?

Anyone local to southern CT to meet up?

Im a new owner and would like to compare my OEM suspension to aftermarket. Around 78k miles and probably need to start replacing bushings and arms, maybe shocks as well but I have no concept for how the car is supposed to handle. It's my daily driver now since I put KW V3 on my z4m which is a bit too stiff for the commute. DRC feels like a Cadillac in comparison...

I'm in the new Haven area but willing to travel a bit

If your DRC is functioning, not leaking and otherwise in good shape, keep it. You won't find anything better for a street car.

DRC was replaced under warranty at 30k so about 50k on them now, what's their approximate lifetime? They are very comfortable on the highway and very little body roll around town but not confidence inspiring at higher speeds (70+) especially with "spirited" lane changes. Am I expecting too much?

Yes. Lower your expectations. It is a 14yr old, 4300 pound car...it is still a technological marvel of it's time, but antiquated by todays standards. If you want a race car...buy a race car...if you want a reasonably fast "affordable" sedan, that will outrun MOST things on the road, that aren't newer performance cars, drive your RS6.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Yes. Lower your expectations. It is a 14yr old, 4300 pound car...it is still a technological marvel of it's time, but antiquated by todays standards. If you want a race car...buy a race car...if you want a reasonably fast "affordable" sedan, that will outrun MOST things on the road, that aren't newer performance cars, drive your RS6.
    Well stated.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Thanks ttboost, I appreciate your candor. I've only ever driven the one example so just wanted to be sure.

As you read through the pages on this forum, you will quickly find out it takes copious amounts of cash and time to keep these cars on the straight and narrow. It takes that same amount of cash to make it "faster", and at the end of the day, you're still not as fast as some of the newer cars right off the lot. Many here like myself have leaned this. But for the money, best bang for the buck...it is the nicest twin turbo, V8, 4 door familymobile under $20k.

Yeah I got that impression (money pit) while researching but came to the same conclusion, "best bang for the buck". Having a backup car helps and I only put about 5k on per year anyway so maintenance will go a long way. I just don't have enough history with this model or Audis in general to know what to expect in terms of upkeep; I've only owned and worked on BMW. I wanted something bigger and more comfortable, with AWD, so I started looking for an S8 (D2 or D3.) I got lucky and saw a couple RS6s locally, went for a test drive and was hooked... I think it's a design that aged very well both exterior and interior, and the engine performs and sounds fantastic.

Yep, they're great cars, until they need maintenance. If you keep up with it, it's more forgiving, otherwise it will turn into a financial burden that most aren't ready for. If you can't spin a wrench yourself, be prepared, as the engine comes out for other most work, other than very light maintenance (oil changes etc...).

I'm up near Hartford if you want to try a 99k mile car with Koni sport struts and 034Motorsport Density Line control arms. I think the DRC probably rode better, but $700 for four Konis vs replacing one DRC strut at $700/ea, it was a no-brainer.
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    I'm up near Hartford if you want to try a 99k mile car with Koni sport struts and 034Motorsport Density Line control arms. I think the DRC probably rode better, but $700 for four Konis vs replacing one DRC strut at $700/ea, it was a no-brainer.
    Yeah I'm still interested, would you be willing to split the distance a bit, say Middletown?

LOL...seriously...