Thread: FINALLY getting new turbos....trying to get a hold of scrolls...?

FINALLY getting new turbos....trying to get a hold of scrolls...?

So after months and months of fighting, the warranty company is allowing the turbos to be replaced. I have a spare TC ready to be mailed to Andre at edge, just trying to locate some turbos. Warranty company doesn't care the brand...they go off price and they HAVE TO be brand new. Called the number on Scrolls website and emailed them several times over the last week and stil no response. It takes me to "tri-state turbos" voicemail. Have heard great things about scroll hybrids. The shop doing the work was leading towards the SRM turbos but haven't had good luck on this B5S4 builds with SRM lately so they changed their mind on that route. It's decently hard to find brand new OEM turbos. Not sure why but the warranty company won't pay for rebuilt ones or for the cartidges to be replaced even.

So long story short, anyone have any other recommendation on turbos? factory or hybrids? As long as the hybrids are bolt on and don't need any modification we are good to go. The shop said they will be able to change the wastegates if needed but not gonna do any modifying to the exhaust or inlets to fit different turbos.

thanks!

I have srm and they seem to be holding fine so far. This is at 27 psi too!

Quote Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post

27psi?!? Geezus! Are they direct bolt-on replacements? Also just out of curiosity...who tunes are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli42 View Post
    27psi?!? Geezus! Are they direct bolt-on replacements? Also just out of curiosity...who tunes are you running?
    Running nubakes tune. It's fantastic too.

yes. Direct bolt on. I believe they are considered hybrids? I think that means the hotside is original size and the compressor side is larger...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

They peak at 27 I believe but taper to 19 if I recall.

I provided new OE centers on an engine replacement awhile back. Could check with my turbo builder guy to see what he has available. We had been kicking the can on making hybrid turbo for awhile anyway. Somewhat selfishly as I plan on pulling the engine next winter to go thru everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
    How does this correlate to power and torque, including IAT?

Frankly, any hybrids are not really a good option. Stock hotside is already restrictive enough, so you gain a lot of torque, but little hp. If anything, Garrett GT28RSs look like good candidates. They can be made to fit stock manifolds (with some cutting and welding), and have a nice big "breathable" turbine housing. We're currently building a car like this locally, but it's still a couple of months away from running ($$$).

Tial 880XR
    AMD C5 RS6 6-speed swap, PSS9s, 4:1 Center Diff, 515/635 pump/meth tune - RS6/K04 Turbos
    AMD B5 S4 Laser Avant 6-speed, Stage 3///AMD C5 Allroad 6-speed swap///AMD B5 S4 3L Built with 770XR

I have the srm k24s. They are ok.
    EFI Express could only get 24psi out them with full spray before knock started. So 27psi sounds a little aggressive.
    Next year i think im going to swap them out with TTE650s and run e85 flex tune.
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

Quote Originally Posted by mdegracia View Post
    EFI Express could only get 24psi out them with full spray before knock started. So 27psi sounds a little aggressive.
    Might have something to do with stock ECU being unable to process (properly fuel for) anything over ~22.5 psi.
    We're running some custom code to fix that.

Nope. They added the patch to unlock the higher fuel map. It is far from stock now. Between the shitty stock manifolds and the restricted turbo hot sides, the heat isnt leaving the cylinders fast enough.
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs